Luke Magill @ Bolton Wanderers

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  2. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I made a note about Luke in the "All About Yanks Abroad" thread awhile back. Luke's the nephew of a guy here at work. He supposedly was at Bradenton but I couldn't find any proof of that.

Luke was born in England, moved to the US (Connecticut area) when he was around 6. He might have dual citizenship but both his natural parents are English and his stepfather is American (they moved to the US for his stepfathers job). Luke moved back to England, supposedly after dropping from Bradenton, when he was 16, 2 years ago I believe. I think Luke was part of Bolton's youth team for a couple years but just joined the Youth Academy, if that makes any sense.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks, I remember your original post but couldn't find it easily... Well, I don't know how we'll settle the citizenship issue. At any rate, I emailed a fan website and could probably ask the club as well. Any chance you could ask your co-worker for clarification?

And your information about the academies makes perfect sense. Youth teams at most pro clubs generally aren't a big deal -- but the academy players (who join around 16 and recieve a small stipend as they try to earn a professional contract over the next three seasons) are something else altogether.

4. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Most of what he knows I posted above, I asked Larry (guy here at work) again after seeing your post. Since both of Luke's natural parents are English and he was born in England, from what I vaguely understand, it seems a stretch that he would be able to get US citizenship, let alone already having dual citizenship.

Someone that understands those laws better than me might be able to clarify, but it seems Luke's only connection is an American stepfather and roughly 10 years residency in the US. If he could qualify for citizenship due to how long he lived here it doesn't appear that any paperwork has been filed to do so, according to Larry. I'll ask him about this a little more later when I get a chance, maybe even get Larry to talk to his brother to clarify some of this.

Thanks for looking into this, always wondered about Luke as I couldn't find anything on him until he showed up on Bolton's website as an Academy player about 6 months ago.

5. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he were at Bradenton, someone on the US Youth boards might know. Gersman?

6. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Ok, got some more info on Luke. Luke has been adopted by his American step-father so that should make him eligible for the US national team. Supposedly he'd like to play for the US. Where from here then?

7. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    For one thing, if he was born in 1987, he needs to get that passport application going quickly ...

8. Karl Lagodzki

Karl Lagodzki Member

Jan 26, 2000
    Bloomington, IN
    If he was legally adopted by a US citizen as a minor, he was eligible for a citizenship. I believe, he and his American adoptive parent would have had to apply for it before he turned 18. The question is, did he?

9. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    If he was legally adopted by a US citizen he would have to go through a year long process (INS, security, state, etc) to legalize that adoption.

He would then be a US citizen with all of the same rights, if he was adopted as a minor.

Just finished the adoption process myself. Can't see why this would be different.

10. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he was born in 1987, then not yet.

11. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Would the application for a US passport and US citizenship be the same thing?

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks, BrianJames, for keeping on top of this. Given what we know, I'm going to move him to the YA list when I get time to do so.

13. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no its not ,

can't get a US passport without being a citizen, to get citizenship must go thru the aplication process and about 6 months in most cases then be sworn in,

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Unless you're a soccer player and your association/team has your senator's home number ... then it all can be expedited.

15. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks..I'll look into it and try to urge them to get going on the process if they haven't started already.

16. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Luke's parents started planning the adoption process 2 years ago with the thought of Luke possibly playing for US national teams as part of the planning. They hired an attorney to help with the application and process and are confident they are doing everything that needs to be done so that Luke will get US citizenship and be eligible for US Soccer teams. It seems the only question now is how far along the process is to being completed. Luke doesn't have an agent now, I think his attorney and parents are handling everything for him.

They might already have contacted or have contacts to the right people to get Luke on the youth national team radar, if not I should be able to get any good recommendations fowarded to him and his parents.

17. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Thanks a ton for the info.
    It's nice to know that they did indeed think of this in the past... and it sounds as if Luke has at least some interest in the USA National team. Hopefully he knows something about the team, the players, etc...
    It will be interesting to see when he becomes a citizen.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999