Luca Toni Vs Lukas Podolski

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by pittsy1, Dec 2, 2006.

1. pittsy1

pittsy1 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    England, Salford
    Who has the better goal-scoring ability, who has more potential? For me when Podolski becomes more mature he will be a fantastic player, one of the best, whilst Toni is already a quality striker; but who do you think is the better player? I think Podolski :)

2. MilanOnlyMilan

Oct 24, 2005
    Lithuania
    At the moment Toni is better, mostly because he is much more experienced player.

3. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Toni no doubt

4. Neutral2

Neutral2 Member

Apr 30, 2006
    Germany
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Toni is atm better, but Lukas will be better.

5. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Toni is a better finisher but Podolski has more potential obviously. Despite his inexperience, Lukas's form with the NT is undeniable at the moment. But Toni does take it clubwise.

6. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Once again I'm a bit confused with the comparison.

ONe is a target striker, big, and is the lead man for club.

The other is a fast support striker, not so big and not a lead man for a club.

I guess I'd take Toni here, Podolski is just too inexperienced. Maybe in a few yaers, but Poldi's NT form has been scintilating

7. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Toni is approaching the wrong side of 30, while Poldi is barely into his twenties. It's a relatively silly question considering your emphasis on who has more potential.

8. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Toni. He can head the ball better and his scoring average is slightly better. Podolski has the potential to be one of the best in the world soon.

9. Pferd

Pferd New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Well I thought highly of Podolski watching him on TV. However, I had the opportunity of seeing him live in the World Cup against Argentina & Italy.

He is nothing special. His techinique is just above average and has no other special features. In my opinion, putting him in the same thread with Luca Toni is already an insult. Even you can not compare him with Klose and if you push me very hard I would even say Kiessling.

I´m not surprised he is struggling with Bayern Munich. For sure he is capable of scoring four goals against San Marino, but that´s just about it. Against good defenders which don´t give him enough space he does nothing.

He is still young and for sure has time to mature and learn, but I won´t be holding my breath.

10. Naughty by Nature

Naughty by Nature New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Earth: Europe : ??
    Podolski is just average, noting special. Luca Toni on the other hand was the european top scorer.

11. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    At 21, what Lukas has done is amazing IMHO. It of course does not hurt that he plays with Klose obviously helps him immensely.

He has a long way to catch up with Toni. But they both have different careers. Poldi has been in the spotlight (in Germany at least) for the last 3 years, and was called up to the national team (albeit weak) in Euro 2004. Toni has had a late renaissance, full marks to him, not many players go through such a renaissance. This makes the comparison all the more...........unusual.

Its like apples and oranges

12. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I bet no one here heard of Toni when he was at Podolski's age.

13. torres9

torres9 New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Romania
    With a little more work and experience I think Podolski will be one of Europe's best strikers. I don't like Toni at all, but I have to admit he is a pretty prolific striker

14. pittsy1

pittsy1 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    England, Salford
    Just imagine them two at front scoring all them goals....

15. Bluecrux

Bluecrux Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    First of all however the poster was,he was stupid and the thread is stupid.
    Toni's 30,poldi's 22.In what sense can you compare those two
    Poldi leads the goalscoring chart in the euro qualifiers if i am not wrong.
    Poldi is average.Get me some concrete proof so that the arguement could continue or think twice before you post

16. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To damn bad they are playing together then!! At Bayern! :D :D

17. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Luca is very overrated, Podolski is still improving by day.

at the moment Luca is better than Podolski

18. Dantheman1

Dantheman1 New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    England
    Luca Toni was a nobody for a long long time - a journeyman who needs the service if he is to deliver. To be fair in recent years he has been doing what is required, but it took him to his late twenties to achieve anything notable.

Podolski is a different case a boy who has been highly regarded for a long time. He has showed alot of potential, people actually believe he can go on and become a great.

The comparsion is unfair as there is no contest, if Poldolski fulfills his promise he will become a German legend. Luca Toni peaked just to late in his career to truly become a great.

19. arvin sloane

arvin sloane Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I agree that Toni is better now, because of his experience. But Podolski has a lot of potential and he may become a great player.

20. hoyrat85

hoyrat85 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 18, 2006
    Tonİİİİİİ..........

21. Bluecrux

Bluecrux Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    May..?

22. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    He's still got a lot to prove IMHO.

23. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That still doesn't mean you'll hear from "Poldi" when he is at Toni's age.Potential doesn't equal in a great career, even if the player has everything it takes.(The same rule applies to all young talents out there)

I agree that it's a funny comparison, it's like comparing R.Carlos with Boulahrouz, they are both defenders but thats where their similarities end.

24. Little fairy

Little fairy New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Essen,Germany
    lol. what a freaky comparison xD I guess there isn´t any sense in it, right? Of course Toni is better atm cuz he´s more experienced and stuff. But that doesn´t mean Lukas won´t be so good as Toni. I even can say easily he´ll surpass Toni easily in the future. Well he´s young and needs to improve,sure but playing at Klose´s side will help him a lot with that and I´m pretty sure he got the ambition to become better ^^

What´s with all that Podolski is overrated, average issue? I absolutly dunno what people expecting of an 21 years old player oO. He isn´t Jesus, man :rolleyes: but what he has done so far , is remarkable. I mean most of the players aren´t even playing as a pro at his age (which he is since the age of 18) and he´d already participated on one Euro and one World cup, had scored 22 goals in 37 caps and plays at Germany´s biggest club Bayern munich.

Ahh yeah I´m not surprised he has probs there, cuz it isn´t a small step from Cologne to Munich. Another reason is it wasn´t easy for such a young player to bear such a physical exhausting tournament like the world cup. He needed time after that which he hadn´t..so no wonder he played bad in his two or so buli-appearences for Bayern. After that he was injured and did not play for full 6 weeks. So much for his failure at Bayern,geez...that was only a half season. Will be better in the another one, remember he´s still new there at Bayern.

So give him some time for heavens sake...

Ahh yeah I would love to see the faces of the people whose calling him overrated when that boy shoots Germany to titles in the future :D

ooops went OT a bit but that overrrating talking was and still is really bugging me :rolleyes:

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Wouldn't a more relevant discussion be Makaay v Podolski? That seems to be the issue currently at Bayern anyway.