Luca de la Torre

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Scotty, Feb 3, 2022.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    de la Torre is listed at 5'10" 148lbs. That's within the typical size range one comes across in central midfielders. He's at the lower end of that range but isn't unusually slight.

nobody repped this.
  2. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He just needs to get a little stronger, without putting much weight on. There's a scientific method to doing that. He's got the endurance, quickness, and agility.

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lift hay bales all summer. S\in college I saw a whip thin ranch kid take down a big physical kid in seconds. Learned right then if the grew up on a farm or ranch to not get in a fight with them.

4. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not many hay bales in Vigo :)

5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LDLT and Celta Vigo in Oakland... looks like they're training at the Oakland Roots facility.

majspike, FTGOTC and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game was on ESPN+ and you should be able to find the replay there, if you know where to look.

LDLT came on in the 74th minute:

highlights:

Spoiler alert: LDLT didn't stand out all that much and the Quakes 17 year old homegrown Niko Tsakiris was by far the best American midfielder in the game... but hey it's one meaningless friendly.

Excellency repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    LDLT is good on the last play of the game.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LDLT drama

FTGOTC and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. Seanin

Seanin Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Unless you have fat to lose, which LDLT doesn’t, you will gain weight as you get stronger because adding strength adds muscle tissue.

It’s fine. He’s not a marathon runner.

comoesa repped this.
  12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    No, that's a prove that our U-20 (where Niko was mostly coming from the bench) would easily destroy your average mid table La Liga team.

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  13. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was the youngest player on our U20 team. I'd love to see him play against players his own age.

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I, actually, was surprised how well he looked against Celta Vigo. And, no, I don't think that U-20 would beat them.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think there's a non-zero chance LDLT gets "Hoppe'd" in Spain.
    Fingers crossed.

Niko Tsakiris has a shot to be pretty darn good. I need to see more to gauge his ceiling, but he's zoomed up a lot of the "prospect rankings." For those that don't know, he's the son of former USYNT coach Shaun Tsakiris.

twoolley and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
  17. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LDLT didn't look great out there, but I expected that. He came in after a lot of subs, and was basically just kind of running around for 15 minutes. There was one time when he was running with a player and his rb tried to make a pass to him but he had drifted inside. Otherwise, it was a typical first outing.

TLDR, he is new and looked new.

The thing with Luca is the more familiar he is with the players he plays with, the better he will look. He is always going to open space and try to be an outlet, but you have to know which players like which runs for that work. So as he learns more about his teammates that will become more apparent.

So it's good he got an earlyish transfer to gain that. I'd expect him to either sink or swim this season by about mid-August. Well either see good minutes or a player they bought for numbers and a potential breakout later on, with the plus of gaining an American audience. We'll see but he has to get better.

18. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll have some fat to lose, probably not much, and he doesn't need to bulk, just get stronger, so the muscle gains won't be excessive. He needs heavier weight and low reps. Ten pounds gain should be the limit.

19. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    You’re on fire recently.:D I watched half two and I was real impressed with Tsakiras. Funny how both McGlynn and Tsakiris looked better against adults. I can’t wait to see which kid from that U20 just takes a giant leap forward and blows us away. Odds are high it will happen from that group, and from a player we probably didn’t expect. BTW Cowell, better to not say anything.

Luca got his cameo. Luca will get his shot. Again, IMO, it is going to be a process. No biggie.

I do agree however, by the transitive BS thought process it’s clear our U20’s would wipe the floor with Celta.

It’s obvious.

20. Seanin

Seanin Member

Feb 14, 2003
    My point is you don’t get stronger without adding muscle which adds weight once muscle gain exceeds fat loss, which for a professional soccer player is almost immediately.

While weight will affect your VO2 max, I’m not sure you want to prioritise aerobic capacity over strength.

So, yeah, there’s an upper limit to useful strength gain for a soccer player, but I think LDLT has a long way to go to reach it.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He might be fine. Let's hope so.
    One thing that's different about Celta Vigo, compared to some other La Liga squads, is that they don't have an enormous number of players. Relatively small first team. Based on their current squad, de la torre is going to have to see minutes. They've had a bunch of financial problems over the last several years, exacerbated greatly by COVID. This might be a relegation battle team.

As of today, they have 19 players. Santi Mina is facing a 4 year prison sentence, so that's almost certainly down to 18. [They've inexplicably found a team in Greece to transfer Mina to IN CASE he gets off somehow.] They have a lot of work to do. I mean, they're on a preseason tour and only had 6 players on the bench for that game against the Quakes. That ain't good.

I'm more worried about Celta Vigo being a disaster than de la Torre not getting playing time this season.

22. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, of course, there will always be some muscle gain with strength gain, but it doesn't have to be excessive. He needs to get stronger, not bulk up. The issue is that you don't want to gain a lot of weight, because you have to move that weight around for 90 minutes. So there is an energy issue to deal with if you get heavy. He can add <= 10 lbs and still gain considerable strength. The end.

Seanin repped this.
  23. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Celta is a candidate that if they start off slow it could snowball.

24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    We reached a point when significant percentage of the top prospects come from soccer families. What's very good as those families don't make stupid career decisions.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Most of the time they do. Sometimes they don't.
    Bryan Reynolds' father is a former USYNTer (Tim Howard's roommate with the US U17s), star in the NCAAs at SMU, and then played professionally for a brief period. Now he serves as Bryan's agent, and orchestrated the move to Roma. Keith Reynolds, Bryan's father, was a Roma fan as a kid. Hmmm...............

[By the way, we've been asking the trivia question: Both Tyler Wolff and Niko Tsakiris have a chance to make the U20 World Cup roster. Their fathers both made U20 World Cup squads. Name other father/son combos that made US U20 World Cup squads. The aforementioned Reynolds' both played for the U17s, but not the U20s.]