Luca de la Torre

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Scotty, Feb 3, 2022.

1. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I saw him going to a higher Eredivisie club like Twente. I am amazed he went to a higher league, but I am really pleased. When fortune favors you, you take it and run with it. I think he'll make the best of his opportunity.

Excellency repped this.
  2. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    That can be said of many good players. To my eye his national team performances, on balance, have been very, very good.

CU soccer, Bajoro, ifsteve and 2 others repped this.
  3. robstonewall

robstonewall Member

United States
    Mar 11, 2021

Marko72, ShayG, Pl@ymaker and 1 other person repped this.
  4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    It looks like he's gonna have to learn some Spanish and fast to fit in...

ShayG repped this.
  5. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does a guy with Spanish parents grow up in California, playing soccer and can't at least get by?!

xbhaskarx and Bajoro repped this.
  6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    His parents are both biomedical scientists and in that (my) world, everything is in English.

russ, Bajoro, Pl@ymaker and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    He's an American.

The thing is that Holland is one of the most anglophonic non-anglophonic nations in the world. Spain isn't. I mean it's all down to the soccer, and if he plays well and helps them win they'll love him and it'll work out, but for him to feel not like an outsider, to be involved and invested he's really going to need to be able to talk more with them.

It's a really nice opportunity for him, though. A cool club in a cool, stylish but smallish city in a very big league. If he becomes an important part of the club he could really enjoy his life there.

RossD and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  8. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Are both of his parents Spanish? I thought was just his father?

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    both I think

10. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Just looked up, only dad. That would likely explain why he doesn't know spanish to generalize a bit I feel like more often if mom speaks another language kid is more likely to learn it (yes i'm generalizing, but that's just what I've seen)

11. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that on BigSoccer players are either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever. I just tell the truth, which is usually between those two extremes. I love Luca and the way he plays. At the same time, he's not a top class player. He's not athletic enough to be a top class player. However, he's good enough to play in La Liga. I love players who are not super athletes, but who find a way to succeed through skill, determination, and intelligence. It was easier for them when the game was slower. Furthermore, while Luca may not be super fast, he's pretty darn quick.

RossD, Maximum Optimal and Bajoro repped this.
  12. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another thing to say about Luca is that outside of a toothache in February, he's not been injured the past 2 seasons. That's pretty remarkable. That's durability. I'm crossing my fingers, because I just jinxed him.

13. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why soccer is so addictive. It's much more... democratic? ... than the NFL or NBA.

MarioKempes and The Clientele repped this.
  14. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luca could score more goals, but he has often played as a deep-lying midfielder on a team with crappy strikers. Now he'll be playing with Iago Aspas who had more goals in La Liga than Vinicius Junior. In fact, Aspas was second in La Liga in scoring. Luca should be able to learn a thing or two about finding the back of the net.

SCSAutism, Bajoro, RossD and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    It seems his Spanish dad opted not to speak with him in his native tongue. A big mistake, IMO.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually whoever is with the kids more can teach other language(s). That is usually but not always the mother unless both parents work full time.

17. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I see this as only a positive move for him. Seems a league his style fits well with, a small club so he should via for minutes, the compettion is a step up, and quality teammates he can learn from.
    He's a good, quality backup mid for us. Nothing wrong with that. If he can push MMA, Reyna, and Aaronson, then that's a good thing.

FTGOTC and Bajoro repped this.
  18. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looks to have notable acceleration and speed. He has run away from guys while carrying the ball on multiple occasions. I haven't seen him enough to judge his endurance but he seems to be smallish, not nonathletic.

Bajoro and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #344 MarioKempes, Jul 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    He came up through Fulham's academy as a winger, and he wasn't blazing fast, which is part of the requirements for a winger. So he became an attacking midfielder. He's not slow by any means. He's super quick and has great acceleration, balance, agility, and stamina. However, he doesn't seem to have the sprint speed required for a winger.

How can a player have good acceleration but not be fast? They go from zero to their top speed quickly, but their top speed is not elite, and they can't go any higher. Luca is not physically strong and not fast. Some may call that unathletic.
    He can get a bit stronger, but hopefully not at the cost of being slower. Luca can quickly accelerate past people in midfield who are not running in the same direction, but over long distances, he would be caught. Fortunately, he's typically running 10-30 yards, so there is not enough time to catch him. A winger might run 30-50 yards. He's 5'9 1/2", so not tall, but tall enough. He's taller than Messi, Maradona, Neymar, and Pele. :)

FTGOTC, Bajoro and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  20. belyin

belyin Member

Jun 1, 2006
    And taller than Modric, Pedri, Gavi, Iniesta, and Xavi—by the metrics applied too often by America fans none of whom are “athletic enough to be a top class player. However . . .good enough to play in La Liga.” If Luca can make it as a midfielder in La Liga, he will be one of the best US players ever. To me he looks the part, but at age 24 he maybe too close to the peak of his development to acquire the tactical sophistication required to hold down the job.

FTGOTC repped this.
  21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Luca's more than fast enough. I'm not worried about his height at all, but his strength will be an issue. That can be improved, but he can get bumped off pretty easy.

(ASIDE: While he's technical for an American, we can stop comparing him to Modric, Pedri, Gavi, Iniesta, and Xavi. I mean, when he's ANYWHERE near their class technically, we can use them as examples.)

The size will hurt him in ways. It's just a matter of whether he can compensate, especially on defense. It's not just a matter of "can he hang," it's "can he beat out the competition."

I think the other concern is about how he fits in a more possession based system and if he can stand out. I know he's technical enough to do it, but his best play for the US and his best highlights from Heracles are in transition offense. He'll have that opportunity, but Celta also owns the ball a bit, IIRC, so I'm curious to see if he can beat others out there.

These are just question marks, not damning elements. The size is overcomeable; and he has skills that can work in places other than transition, so that seems eminently possible. But he's taking a step up in competition, so these things matter.

22. LuckofLichaj2

LuckofLichaj2 Member

Oct 14, 2021
    Very good post. Luca is technical….enough (for La Liga). He’s not on par with the top attacking midfielders in the world in this area. He’s a clear step behind Gio Reyna, for example.

But he’s an 8. And one of his top qualities is his work rate, which is elite or near-elite. I also think his physical strength isn’t THAT big of a deficiency. Yeah, he’s not Weston in this area but in La Liga I think it’s fine. He’s getting knocked off the ball occasionally because he’s not technical enough- not because he’s weak. Iniesta wasn’t a physically strong player at all- but his technicality always allowed him to be between the ball and defender.

FTGOTC, Bajoro and gogorath repped this.
  23. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    After learning Spanish - Castilian, really - he might want to take a shot at Galician, Gallego. Vigo lies in Galicia, after all.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Meanwhile, the schadenfreude continues:

1546979947083960321 is not a valid tweet id

RossD, xbhaskarx, Marko72 and 1 other person repped this.
  25. belyin

belyin Member

Jun 1, 2006
    I wasn't comparing his technical ability to the Spanish greats just his size, and it won't be his height that holds him back. I think his technical ability is adequate (obviously not exceptional like the greats) but what will either get him over or hold him back in La Liga is whether he necessary vision and time/space awareness.

nobody repped this.