Luca de la Torre

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Scotty, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    madvillain, kennytt, FTGOTC and 3 others repped this.
  2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phenomenal performance. He has to hsve upended Roldan and maybe lletget in the depth chart. He does everything they do, better. Love his fight, love his showing for the ball. He’s a player

kennytt, ShayG, FTGOTC and 4 others repped this.
  3. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phenomenal?

GreedyG and gogorath repped this.
  4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Never has a nice but hardly gamechanging performance, at home, against an eliminated team in a knockout tournament with a goal differential of checks notes ... -17 ... been so overrated across a fanbase.

Do people remember that Roldan and Lletget were very good against Honduras in Honduras?

I don't even think they really play the same positions fundamentally, but I'd take Luca over Lletget right now, but there's so much overcompensation because people don't want to see Lletget and Roldan.

Marko72 and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overrated across a fanbase or overrated by Gregg Berhalter who gave LDLT his MOTM??

Fire Gregg for not giving the MOTM to Roldan or Lletget who were very good against Honduras in Honduras!!

6. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Granted, the competition was weak, but Luca was progressing the ball, connecting passes, and using space in a way I’ve never seen from the other players mentioned. It was refreshing, in a big way.

I don’t know if we could do it against higher level competitors, but I’d like to see more from him. I hope he’s called in for the next window.

Smileton, Eleven Bravo, FTGOTC and 3 others repped this.
  7. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I'm not entirely sold on Luca as far as his overall quality to be honest. He's a bit lightweight and doesn't really create a ton or provide a threat to score. That said, he may be the type of player this team lacks. He is a guy focused on connecting play, making smart passes and filling space. We lack all of those things in many games. And he seemed to get around the field a bit better and releases the ball a bit quicker than Busio, who I would classify as his closest competition that brings similar traits. For a team that plays with the ball too much and looks to make the big plays too often, he was refreshing. He looked forward but not at the expense of overplaying. But, this was against a really poor Honduras and his first touch on the ball saw him pushed aside pretty easily. I fear a lot of teams will body him off the play and personally, I'd like to see him against an opponent that actually puts up a bit of a fight before he can be fully convincing. But he definitely earned a chance for more minutes and a longer look.

madvillain, kennytt, Bajoro and 6 others repped this.
  8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    This is so weirdly forced. Do you want to try again?

Well below your usual trolling.

9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Sure.... maybe? I'm not sure if we're agreeing. If you think it is rare we've had people play a basic connector role where they make the simple, correct pass quickly, then yes, I'm with you. We don't have a lot of guys like that in the pool.

But I've also seen people claim that we have no one else who can create advantage in the midfield through the dribble and that's patently insane. It's literally Musah's #1 talent and a big strength of McKennie. Like I read that, and am truly wondering if people are watching the same thing.

Before the match, people were screaming we needed chance creation from the midfield. Luca de la Torre did NOT provide that. He provided nice connection, and his simple style of play is refreshing. But I'm just not sure where "phenomenal" comes from.

Well, I'm sure. It's because he's positioned against players who people hate.

But that word is usually used for someone who creates or scores goals, or dominates the midfield, not a dude who mostly made the simple pass to a winger or fullback against a team in full bunker.

Marko72 and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  10. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 50/50 Ball, Feb 3, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    Luca did a good job of shuttling against a bad and beaten Honduras, it doesn't call for hyperbole bb that he's better than Lletget or Roldan at everything. He doesn't provide anywhere near the goal danger or aerial threat of either Lletget or Roldan fot example. Roldan probably had more Xg in 7 minutes.

For context. Luca has 1 goal in 54 Heracles games and over 4 k minutes.

11. DrunkOffPunch

DrunkOffPunch Member

United States
    Jul 14, 2020
    I think rather than it being about Roldan or Lletget, it’s about a guy that wasn’t getting called in/only had 13 minutes in qualifying. I was happy to see LDLT start, mostly because I could finally see whether he belonged. I think he does.

imasyko repped this.
  12. DrunkOffPunch

DrunkOffPunch Member

United States
    Jul 14, 2020
    You can’t call out LDLT for a perceived lack of goals and then bring up Roldan in comparison. He has 0 goals in 30 appearances.

majspike, Eleven Bravo and FTGOTC repped this.
  13. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    This post is pretty spot on with the way I see it. Big question in my mind with him is the physicality issue. Another thing that struck me was that it seemed like the weighting on some of his passes were bit off last night. I'd probably give him the benefit of the doubt with that though in that field and conditions probably had something to do with it. In any event, he looked bright last night to me even if it was against a poor team that was going through the motions.

What he has 100% earned in my mind is at least a chance to prove his worth against better competition. I very pleased GGG started him, he needs to continue to add players like Gio, LDLT, Busio, and Ledezma to his midfield tool box. Not every problem calls for the blunt force of an MMA.

Papin and nobody repped this.
  14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precisely, and I think this Mexico team needs a surgical scalpel, not a sludge hammer

15. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Luca is a refreshing view because US fans tired to see backward passes. He controlled ball and driving forward kind of like Musah or McKennie but a little different.
    Musah is more powering off defenders to drive forward, Luca is more half-circled around defenders to drive forward.

The Clientele repped this.
  16. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I think most of us just wanted to see some alternatives tried. Busio and Luca have a bit more to offer at the international level. I would say the same of a healthy Eryk Williamson. I was impressed by his performance in the Gold Cup final.

The Clientele repped this.
  17. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    You can only play the opponent in front of you. On a squad whose principal weakness (for > 1 year) has been progressing the ball through the midfield and connecting with the forwards, it is little wonder GB called Luca MOTM.

18. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    That's fine.

I want to see Paxton Pomykal. But if he plays and does a nice role player role, I am going to say he was good, and I'd like to see more. But I'm not going to claim he played phenomenal when he didn't or start a "Pomykal! What A Performance!" thread on reddit or claim that he played amazing defense because he had a few recoveries.

I'm happy he got PT and think his style of play is sorely needed. But I'm still going to point out where it was Honduras, that he doesn't solve creativity issues and that I'm still concerned about his defense against a real team.

If you have a good argument, there's no reason for hyperbole.

20. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I'm glad you mentioned Pomykal. I still hold out hope he could return on his pre-injury trajectory.

21. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ]
    I have reason to believe that Roldan can and will chip in his share of goals as he's done it for years in MLS.

I can give a string of Roldan goal clips. You can't do the same for Luca because he has 1 senior professional goal.

22. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm worried about the short leg thing because he is a talent. He was my second favorite player from the U20 WC after Weah.

gogorath repped this.
  23. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    True.

To be fair, LDLT hasn't had a stinker of a performance yet, and that's encouraging.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  24. DrunkOffPunch

DrunkOffPunch Member

United States
    Jul 14, 2020
    Pull up 1 video of Roldan scoring for the US. How do a bunch of clips from the most consistent MLS team the past ten years supersede 30 appearances?

25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um this is false please stop spreading misinformation... it's now 31 caps for Roldan without a goal!

majspike, FTGOTC and DrunkOffPunch repped this.