Lower Swiss Divisions [r]

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by RobtheAggie, May 11, 2013.

1. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Eschen Mauren are from Liechtenstein right?

2. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is correct.

3. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Fribourg-Neuchâtel Xamax FCS2:2
    FC Baden-USV Eschen/Mauren5:0
    FC Münsingen-SC Düdingen2:2
    FC Rapperswil-Jona-FC Oberwallis Naters1:0

Only one real surprise that Fribourg held Xamax to a draw.

4. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eschen/Mauren3 - 2Baden
    FTDudingen3 - 0Munsingen
    FTNaters0 - 1Rapperswil
    FTXamax3 - 0Fribourg

Xamax advance with a 5-2 aggregate.
    Ba.den advances with a 7-3 aggregate
    Dundigen and Rapperswil advance as well.

Lupin III repped this.
  5. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    So Xamax promotes to what level league??? :) League names can be so difficult to understand nowadays in swiss football system.

6. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1st Division Classic. (4th League)

7. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    June 11
    Xamax2 - 0Baden
    Dudingen1 - 1Rapperswil
    June 14
    10:00Baden? - ?Xamax
    13:00Rapperswil? - ?Dudingen

Xamax have not qualified yet, they need a good result today. It looks like they will qualify as well as Rapperswil.

In addition, the groups for all of the lower division leagues will be published in the next week.

8. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    If I knew nothing about swiss league, I would presume 1st. division classic is the top league not 4th. division.

RobtheAggie repped this.
  9. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Xamax promoted.:thumbsup: More romande teams better it is for improving the current dire situation. Hope they continue to climb up. More derbies, more supporters, more attraction and hopefully more sponsors and partners for more sustainable clubs and fortunately better football.:confused::cool:

RobtheAggie repped this.
  10. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lupin III repped this.
  11. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. SuperXamax

SuperXamax New Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Hello! I am new to the Big Soccer World! I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the possible return of Xamax to the top 2 divisions of Swiss Football?

They have the stadium for it... I am excited about seeing them back in the BCL! Does anyone know if the current squad they have can compete with BCL clubs?

Go Xamax!

13. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    As a supporter of a Danish Club that played Xamax in the UEFA cup in the 90's I am very happy to see the club back. However I hope they can become a part of the top league and not an elevator team as Servette has become after their situation.

When that is said personally I find Xamax new Cornaredo one of the most beautifull and interesting stadiums architecturally in the world. Love that really red colour on the whole ground too.

14. SuperXamax

SuperXamax New Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes Brondby! My older brother travelled Europe a lot in the 70's and 80's and I recall him mentioning that he saw a match between Brondby and one of the big three Portuguese clubs, I think it may have been Sporting in Lisbon or Benfica.

Yes the Stade de la Maladiere is wonderful I have gone to matches there twice. I do so badly want to see them back in the Super League. They had a good squad the year they were expelled. They could have finished in the top 4 for sure and it was all taken away by that corrupt owner! I felt worse for the fans, coaches and players as it wasn't there fault. I know the SFL has rules but really who was punished here? Sure expel the owner but leave the club where it was. The League should have propped up the team and then relegated or points penalized them the following year like Sion (but not as bad of course), it was handled poorly in my opinion... they are on the way back though! OK I will get off my soapbox now.

15. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SuperXamax, welcome to Bigsoccer.

I saw a Biel match at Stade de la Maladiere 2 years ago. Nice stadium, and no one will wonder what is the main color of the home team!

I think that Xamax has a squad that could compete with the lower half of the DCL. If they win promotion, it could get really interesting. Biel looks like they will be relegated. If that happens, look for Xamax to sign some of their better players.

16. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Yes we played Porto back in 1987 ;0)

And well those issues can happen for every clubs, 2 years ago we were minutes of going out of business, luckily we got a rich sugardaddy that bought Daniel Agger from Liverpool and other profiles so we are competitive again.

17. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Rob how come you are an US living in Caucasus fan of Rochester Rhinos having Servette as an Avatar whie watching lower league Swiss football between Xamax and Biel? :)

18. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great question. I grew up in Rochester NY, when the Rhinos were on top of the world. I live in Middle Georgia (USA), not the Republic of Georgia. I lived in Switzerland for a year or so the last time that Servette won the league title 1998-1999. I am a History professor with a concentration in Swiss and Swiss-American History. Soccer is one of my main research areas, so when I take students to Switzerland (every two years, I leave in 2 weeks) I try to catch as many games as possible. The match that I watched was not actually Xamax vs Biel, but Biel vs Locarno. Biel used Stade de la Maladiere two seasons ago for their home matches.

19. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Cool Combi, btw am history teacher myself. If you still follow Servette can you answer why Servette seems not to be able to recover completely from when they were bust?

20. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $$$ the current owner is really trying to be prudent, and fiscally sound. It will take some time, but I think that Servette will be able to be one of the top 3 or 4 teams again. They also have had a ton of turnover in the coaching ranks and front office staff.

Lupin III repped this.
  21. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Thanks, i though had imagined it would have gone faster with the size of fans the club has ;0)

22. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. SuperXamax

SuperXamax New Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    A nice come from behind draw (3-3) with YF Juventus putting us top of the table 1 point up!

Lupin III repped this.
  24. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #50 RobtheAggie, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    Xamax goes into the winter break with a 4 point advantage. I think that it will be hard for just about anyone to catch them.

On the other side of the spectrum, FC Grechen of the 1st League Classic (4th Division) got rid of 11 players last week after a 10-0 defeat by Luzern II.

I caught the Etoile Carouge - FC Locarno last evening. Very poor 1st half by Etoile Carouge, and Locarno was not to thrilling either. The 2nd half Etoile was a different team as they pressed for a goal. Locarno scored really early and Etoile finally scored after what seemed like 20 crosses in the 2nd half. They were quite predictable, crosses in from the left side, but Locarno could not stop the crosses from coming in. That being said, Etoile Carouge's left back had a terrible 1st half. Game one of what I hope will be about 5 during my stay here is CH.

Lupin III repped this.