Losing culture?

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by KC Cruzeiro, Jul 4, 2010.

1. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    I did not know that. Bravo Kuhnscoot, I have a new found respect for you!!!!

2. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Mike's been slugging it out for years, and lots of people would've given up before now on this team. Luckily the pitch and kc fans have recognized his contributions a little bit. Northbank also has a quality blog over at kcwfans.com including a fantastic A-Z post about the Wizards that he posted last week. Both are some of the best Wizards fans I know.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the credibility of opinions isn't really what I meant by my statement, if it came off that way I apologize. My credibility comment was towards KC Cruzeiro's comment about practice. Now whether that statement is true or not, I don't know, it could be 100% true or it could be sour grapes (although I'm definitely not saying it's that at all). With him being fairly new to the boards, it's hard to judge his statement because there's no past history of statements to judge his current statements off of.

4. KC Cruzeiro

KC Cruzeiro New Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Fair enough. Mike, I didn't know that was you either...thanks for your dedication. I am new to boards but far from new to the team.
    The shadiness of this organization has got me at a boiling point. I'm not calling anyone naive but I've seen first hand how the way PV and the front office, twist facts to reflect well on themselves.
    If you get a chance, ask Hartman how his deal really went down...Klein spoke up about it and he's not even a teammate. Ask Lance Watson how he was misled with his rehab. Ask Meola about PV...MoJo will back it up. Ask Onalfo about PV and Heineman. Ask Bob Ganlser....the man with the most wisdom and credibility of all, as far as I'm concerned. It comes off as sour grapes and maybe that's the motivation...but there's legitimacy there. Trust me.
    This is so far from my original point but I just get so fired up when I think about how the owners and the fans are getting misled by most everyone in between. Maybe I'm not saying anything anyone doesn't already know...but I'm new here...forgive me.
    Being a soccer fan, you continually have to defend and promote the sport to those who don't care to understand. I will continue to do that. It is not my intention to tear anything down. Frankly, I don't know my intention right now. I'm just pissed! and this is the only place I can vent to people that care. Thank you, I'm sorry.

5. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so then... you're a former employee/intern with the organization? how else would you know how all these "deals" went down? well, either that or a journalist who has really good inside sources... but then, if that was true, you'd be exactly what you're claiming to be upset at - the media letting them off the hook.

6. spinman

spinman Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vermes gets fired and 75% of the Wizards on-field problems are solved. And about 90% of there group ticket sales is solved as well. KC Cruzeiro speaks about a lot of stuff that is known around town with the guys that have played @ a high-level.

FO doesn't understand why they struggle to sell group tickets to the LARGE youth teams in KC, and why they have had 4 sales managers in 3 years. A big part of the problem is vermes and his relationship with all the local club DOC's. Bridge was burnt 4 years ago and all these AE ticket reps just keep beating a dead horse trying to move tickets.

FO will learn, this year will be over soon enough.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it solves 90%, I hear similar issues with groups sales to the youth teams in KC due to the Juniors as I do about Vermes.

8. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I've met more youth coaches that resent the Wizards, Juniors etc than I can count. They all have horror stories of group sales gone awry, but I get the feeling most are also caught up in the competitive and political nature of youth soccer and I'm skeptical they'd become an advocate for the Wizards even if it was someone else other than Vermes.

I brought it up years ago that they really needed to be over the top with their inclusiveness of the existing youth programs when MLS first mandated the youth academies, but I'm not sure it would've helped unless the Wizards could somehow advance the careers of said youth coaches. That's how it works with colleges and AAU coaches in basketball too.

9. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I can not speak definitively in every case I can say that I have not noticed those players doing that often enough to call it a pattern this year.

I have not seen this group of players under these coaches have that problem at all. I can not speak for the time in Arizona, but I did get a lot or reports from multiple sources down there.

I will say there was a veteran player under Onalfo that seemed to frequently tweak a hamstring on Tuesday and then it would get better on Thursday or Friday and he would play that weekend.

When he tried that under Vermes he sat that weekend and did not even make the 18. He did not do it again that I noticed.

If there was any of that group of players that you mentioned that has done that it might be Escobar. He never seemed to stand out in practices and he may have missed some that I did not notice.

I am not saying that none of those players missed a practice due to injuries, they did.

Smith is a little fragile and Rocastle was not in the shape they wanted. Auvray was also nursing the knee injury that led to his surgery.

Maybe I just missed those players not practicing often enough to be considered a pattern.

10. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full disclosure: I consider Dave a friend. We aren't best buds or anything but we have seen non-soccer sports events together and I even offered to help him move into a new house.

True, he was not a soccer guy originally. He was praised on this forum a couple years ago when he was a sideline reporter for caring about the play. He has learned a lot about soccer over the last couple years, is observant like a good sports fan is and is trying to improve his knowledge all the time.

He also has the advantage of getting to see practices, scrimmages, talking to the players and coaches in order to gain knowledge about the game and does to learn.

He is also supposed to be the play-by-play guy so the color guy is supposed to be the knowledgeable one about the game.

There are not a lot of great soccer PBP guys in America. Of course I am not a fan of very many sports announcers at all. I usually pay little attention to them as it is.

There was not a lot of tears shed on this forum when it was announced that Wheelock would not be back.

They may be saving money with Dave but he was also somewhat experienced and in house when they brought the broadcast inside the organization.

I think Dave will improve over time. I think he is still a little nervous on air and needs to loosen up a bit. He is far more entertaining to talk with in person.

11. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for all the replies in a row. I took the weekend off from the internet.

This seems to be the case to me as well. I have asked several representatives of youth teams around here about what they thought of the Juniors and they were mostly negative. Of course they could just dislike the fact that they are losing the best kids to the Wizards and wish they could be part of the development academies as well. A couple of them more or less admitted that.

Incorporating the youth teams around here sounds good but I am not sure how successful that could be. They have different styles, coaching methods and agendas (money/prestige/proving their system best). St. Louis did it but they had two main clubs and when they "United" they ended up as two clubs St. Louis (Missouri) and Metro (Illinois).

The Wizards have the goal of developing players to be Wizards someday. They are working on having the same coaching methods from the senior team down through the Juniors and that would not work with the local youth teams involved. It can be argued whether or not they are doing it the best way possible but that is their goal.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure St. Louis was 3 that joined into 1, and one of those clubs as already re-split I believe. Originally it was St. Louis SC (formerly Busch), Gallagher, and Metro. Metro has basically split back off at this point if I understand correctly.

13. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    They're all splitting.

14. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Meh -- I honestly thought you were referring to the season. Especially as Smith for example wasn't signed until we got back from AZ, and Craig Rocastle didn't join us for trial until we were back in Kansas City. But then when did little articles like time get in the way of an unfounded allegation :)

I'd honestly love to know who your source was -- somebody in the FO?

There were not many people on the ground in AZ other than Wizards personnel. I don't think I have ever been to training and not seen Smith, Rocastle or Auvrey not practice unless they have been legitimately injured and I can't comment on Escobar ... he was half clown, half village idiot ... he didn't come along because his communication issues where insurmountable and his was a dullard.

You are more than welcome to come to training, I'll even stand with you and yap your ear off to prove I am not just and asshole but a demanding fan with high high standards in what I expect.

15. KC Cruzeiro

KC Cruzeiro New Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Thad, I respect your opinion very much. You have spent more time with the team the past two seasons, than any other fan or media member. Your coverage of the Wizards is second to none and you should be commended for your dedication to covering the team. I'm not questioning anything you've seen for yourself or conclusions you've drawn on your own.

You did however, sort of make excuses for all of the guys that I mentioned...and it's not your fault but a lot of your information does come from PV or one of his messengers. Please don't take that the wrong way. It's just what you have to work with in you efforts to provide such great coverage of the Wizards. I'm not patronizing you. Your dedication is really is impressive and well respected.

Let me ask you: Do you believe those in question have the character and resiliency to lead this team to better days? SA is the only one that I'd consider a 'yes' for...and he can't do that unless he's on the field.
    this is off the subject but I'm interested in your opinion: Do you think that PV bought Davy's loyalty and that's why he's wearing the captain's band?

And to Spinman's point...I couldn't agree more (thanks for the support)- the process of elimination will eventually reveal the truth. The clock is ticking.

Respectfully,

KCC

16. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it was 3 that formed into two that is now back to three.

I had not heard that. Do you know if that is because of the money problems?

17. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will vouch for him, he really is nicer in person. ;)

18. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    No idea. I've just heard from several people involved with the club(s) that they were splitting back up. I don't really know any of the details.

19. KC Cruzeiro

KC Cruzeiro New Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    I appreciate your sense of sarcasm. However I could have sworn Smith was with the team for at least a couple weeks in AZ...no? I was more referring to Pablo's work ethic in AZ. Smith looked great from what I understand...he just tends to shy from contact a bit. The other's, well I guess only they know how dinged they really are.

I'd love to spend some time with you at training some time. I did read your A-Z article today...well done. I'd agree with most of it. I've also enjoyed my time spent with Thad at training...even though he doesn't realize it.

20. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, thank you. I am just trying to convey what I have seen.

Yes I have received a lot of information about the team from Vermes. I have also worked hard to cultivate information sources from every level of the team and outside of the team as well. A lot of it I can't say without giving up who the sources are but it does color my responses and views.

I try very hard to not report things until I get multiple or at least authoritative sources.

Was not trying to make excuses for those guys, just saying they have missed practices for injuries and I have not observed a pattern of taking practice time off for them. I have seen a player do it under Onalfo but not under Vermes. I can not say it has not happened because I am not there every day and I have missed enough that it could have. I have just not seen it.

Good question. Of the players you mentioned Auvray is the most capable leader. Smith and Rocastle do not seem to be great leader types at this time. Smith obviously can contribute with skill but does not try to lead. Contrary to a lot of opinions, I think Rocastle is a serviceable player. I do not like how we have used him but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Do I think that PV bought Davy's loyalty with the armband? No, I never got that impression. Vermes believes that Davy is the "heart and soul of the team" and thus everyone should be more like him. There are traits in Davy that a lot of people should emulate and there are a few that people should not. Unfortunately those good and bad traits are so closely tied I am not sure they will ever be separated.

Vermes believes that players need to have more grit/bite/hard ass in them and that has led to many of his decisions of who is playing. In describing a player one time he said that player was a real pr!@k to play against and he wanted him on his team.

If I was offered the job of coaching this team I would be confident that I could win with this team. I would make a lot of changes to lineups and tactics but there is only one player I would get rid of no matter what. I would of course be willing to upgrade at any position but one player would be traded to the first team I could get him on.

Not sure if I answered the question...

This is true...

21. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I didn't really mean incorporating the existing youth clubs literally. That would most likely be prohibitively expensive, and like you said, there are many competing schools of thought/agendas out there.

It was more that the coaches and teams need to feel like they are valued by the Wizards outside of ticket sales, there is some sense of collaboration on a larger level, and that they are part of our progress as a soccer city, and important to the success of the Wizards on and off the field.

I could get more into specifics on ways they might be able to do that, but it's late and this probably isn't the thread for it.

22. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Dema Kovalenko is on our shopping list? ;)

Is this a player who gets a lot of PT or is it a player who we don't see much of on game day, but he still manages to be a distraction/bad influence in the clubhouse?

23. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Really the losing doesn't even get to me as much as the fact that we look so inept. 12 goals in 13 games and a defense that gives up lazy goals. It's not even like we're just blowing great chances other than early in the season. I'm a soccer fan. I can enjoy the game without consistent scoring, but going on a few seasons like this is brutal.

"Enquiring" minds want to know!

24. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    After thinking about it, more disappointing is the team seems to play with zero joy. They don't look like they enjoy being out there, and it makes me not enjoy watching them. Fire is nice, but to see them playing loose would probably be more encouraging.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was with the team in AZ. His signing just wasn't officially announced until we got back to KC.