Los Angeles - San Jose W.C. Semi Game 1 (Saturday, 11/1) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 1, 2003.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't understand why the playoffs wouldn't draw better then regular season games. Isn't it more exciting if everything's on the line? Is it the weather? Time of year? Is it because the teams try to raise ticket prices (seems like Quakes prices are the same)? I don't get it.

2. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    All of the above...MLS has basically failed to convince fans that the playoffs mean more than the regular season.

3. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    MLS has basically failed to convince fans that MLS means anything.

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at attendance figures for MLS Cup, I would tend to disagree. MLS playoff attendance is lower because it's more difficult to sell group tickets to games that aren't on the schedule, and even more difficult when the game is on a Tuesday night.

5. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco

Amen to that. You would think after this many seasons they would have fine "tuned" the product by now. At this point I'm starting to think, when they make thier annual changes, they lose just as many fans as thay gain. I don't know how it is in other markets, but there isn't a lot or really any hype surrounding the MLS playoffs. By the time the MLB World Series wraps up, MLS playoffs seem to get bumped farther and farther back in the sports pages.

6. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    That's why once again I'll jump up on my soap box and scream that MLS Cup should be played on Labor Day Weekend so that we maximize our media opportunities and get out of the way before the annual steamroller of gridball and baseball post-season coverage renders us irrelevant (again!).

7. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Yes, 3 playing at 2 for the right to play at 1 works. If the league is worried about the fans of teams for whom 3rd place it out of reach, have 4 play at 3 midweek for the right to play at 2.

I don't mind LA having a shot at the Cup as long as they have to win in Colorado, KC and San Jose.

MLS should realize the regular season is the better money maker and they need to reassure fans that all regular season games are important.

8. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is a good time. It's decent-and-getting-better soccer hopefully close to home. The parity rules mean we don't have one or two awesome teams to compete internationally, but they also mean any team can win any game, which can be interesting. It will mean something more someday, hopefully.

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just takes time guys, it just takes time. I will repeat the question again: How long after it got started did it take for the NFL and professional gridiron ball to catch on in this country? And Red Grange and the guys that started it didn't have the competition that MLS has got. They've got to screw up a lot before they get it straightened out.