Los Angeles - San Jose W.C. Semi Game 1 (Saturday, 11/1) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The final score is:

&nbsp&nbsp[​IMG] &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp [​IMG]
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 2 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 0

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp You can read a recap of the game here.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

2. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't wanna talk about it.

I can't talk about it.

I have no words except these:

*#*#*#*#!
    *#*#*#*#!!
    *#*#*#*#ING *#*#*#*# *#*#*#*#!!!

3. mad4soccer

mad4soccer New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Santa Cruz County
    I hate the playoffs

This is last year all over again.

Should I even bother going to the game next week? I don't know if I can take such disappointment.

This is pathetic. We lead the league all season, the Galaxy suck all season, and then fortunes reverse for the playoffs.

I say crown Chicago the champs and we'll take second place and forget the whole playoff thing as meaningless crap!

-- Marc

4. europa1057

europa1057 New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    California
    Ugh. Just ugh. I need a beer. Or five.

5. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We suck, and deserved to lose. Well the game isnt that important, but a 2-0 hole is bad, putting us in a bad way. They will just bunker up in Spartan, and we will look helpless.

Maybe 3-4 good chances, and we blew them all. Horrible attempts on goal out of them. Offensively we are way too static and slow. We look terrible. Our set pieces are pathetic.

First goal was flukey, not really too upset about that, Ill just accept it as something that from time to time happens. On the second Agoos got abused by Ruiz. Beaten for speed on a counter. Wish I could say I never saw it coming.

We peaked early, lost a key irreplaceable guy (Ching) and generally havent impressed. Maybe the guys can come back, but Im not optimistic.

6. cyprfw

cyprfw New Member

Nov 1, 2003
    Only thing i have to say is that FARIA is poor!!! He has done nothing in his 6 games with the team...It's time he remains on the bench for the full 90.

If we want to advance to the next round, we need to look elsehwhere (DeRo, Walker, Donovan, etc)

Hopefully Robinson will be healthy for next game so he can lay one out on Ruiz.

What terrible defensive effort.

7. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Our defense is totally suffering without Eddie. I hope DeRo isn't too seriously hurt. We really need him next week. Faria didn't do much for us tonight. Walker should have been subbed in even earlier. Onstad should have been hugging the post for the first goal.

Now we need at least 2 goals next week to force extra time. This really sucks. I don't know, it just seemed like a given that we might actually go all the way this year and then, this happens.

8. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Just so you guys know, we haven't won a game on the road all season.

We also haven't given up more then 2 goals in a game all season...

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Someone predicted back in August that Ching's injury would come back to haunt the Quakes as it did at the end of the season and in the playoffs so far. :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

10. jose8lo

jose8lo BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 9, 2002
    washington
    As soon as De Ro went out with an injury we were doomed.Like I say before Faria and Russell are useless,one question where was Ronnie?Frank should of put Walker in instead of Faria.I don't see us scoring 3 goals next week to advanced.We also lost Corrales,I'm so f*****g pissed off!Damn it!Bad timing to hit a scoring drought and injuries also.

11. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    The first half we kicked their ass. We did everything we wanted to do (except finish of course). Then that flukey goal and we collapsed.

Agoos had a bad game. He had a double goof in the first half that nearly cost a goal. I don't think he was beaten for speed on goal #2, but he eased up and let Ruiz get his shot off.

As big a fan of Ching as I am, I think De Ro was doing a surprisingly good job filling in. Losing him early tonight just sucked.

We need to get a goal in the first ten minutes next week, LA might choke and collapse. Still, it's not very likely.

If LA draws or loses by one goal next week, then MLS has to be congratulated for finding a system so ridiculous that a team can eliminate the conference champion without winning a single game on the road all season.

12. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Oh, I might add that I HATE this STUPID PLAYOFF SYSTEM!!!!!

13. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    the word for today is "piss poor"...er, 2 words.

Completely uninspired play by the Quakes. And I agree that Faria should not have been the person subbed. I was unsure after last week's game, but now I've reached a verdict on him. Maybe he can contribute after a full off-season, but right now, he's just not playoff ready.

And did anyone see Ruiz step on the defender's foot on his goal? I say it was intentional.

And who was the defender who headed the ball towards the goal gifting LA's first goal?

Despite the above, Onstad could have had both shots. No player should get a second chance at goal after muffing the first shot in the box. The keeper should have been all over that one. And what the hell was he diving at on Ruiz' goal? Why are you guessing far post when the only shot is to near post?

And what the hell was Roner doing in the lineup? Mullan has looked much better in that spot - keep him there.

And you bring in Waibel in the 2nd half? When we're down 2 goals? Whatever for? So that he can get another red card? So that we can see him shank a cross yet one more time?

I'm pissed off, and I can't believe the crap I watched tonight. Very, very disappointing.

And after watching him disappear for the entire game (yet again), I'm pretty sure that LD should consider himself lucky to even be playing in a top flight league right now. Hey Landon, watch Ruiz sometime. He could show you a thing or two about how to put your stamp on a game and influence the outcome.

14. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is, a faster defender eases up and is still probably right on top of Ruiz, with better position. Or even more likely hes contesting the flighted ball, not allowing Ruiz to collect. Thats his guy. He has to be there. He wasnt, and it was an easy finish for a guy like Ruiz.

15. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    I think that was the consensus.

But to tell the truth, this game didn't really play to his strengths.

It's next week that we'll really miss him when LA packs it in.

16. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "Kicking their ass" would mean that we had some decent shots at goal that were either miraculously saved or hit the woodwork.

Same song, different verse - LD is our only playmaker and everyone else has no clue how to attack. When he disappears, so does any chance at offensive respectability.

Was Ekelund injured?

17. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah why wasn't Ronnie playing? He wasn't even on the "substitutes not used" on the mlsnet.com game summary.

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you may and I heartily concur.
    Other statements that I agree wholeheartedly with are:

From sjqf:
    "Fish! We're fishin' fished! Fishin' fish!!! FISH!
    Thank goodness I stayed home to watch this.
    Please make the horror stop. Make it stop now, please!"

That was exactly what I felt like in and after the 60th minute.

from mad4soccer:
    "This is pathetic. We lead the league all season, the Galaxy suck all season, and then fortunes reverse for the playoffs."

Whoever invented this playoff system bites donkey dong.

The first half was excellent. I didn't think I would ever say this, but I do concur with whoever said that about Agoos in the first half. It's time for a coaching job Jeff. Also about Faria, he's still got to get in the groove. The rest of everything, DeRo, Ramiro, we got farked badly. I feel as bad as I did in high school when we lost the sectionals.

19. quakes_fan21

quakes_fan21 New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    This game fishin sucked big time!! First, because we lost and deserved it the way we played. And second because we had to sit outside in the cold to watch the game because when we got to the Brit it was already full inside. I am so pissed, this game was not even worth me freezing my behind out there, I should have just stayed home where it's warm.

20. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was worried about that. Because of the timing of the game. That's why I stayed home. I'm glad I did. Cuz I woulda been driving like a bitch on the way home.

21. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [From the during-game thread:]
    > Bottom line: stop bringing in Walker in the last
    > minute when the team is down. His versatility
    > and speed threaten the L.A. defense and should
    > be used from minute one.

You are totally right. But I don't know who you are because I didn't copy your name as well. So I'll just call you Skippy. Skippy, you rock.

> Whoever invented this playoff system bites
    > donkey dong.

Every attempt by MLS to make the game "more European" has been a mistake.

22. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not gonna go off on the playoff system too much, cuz I've been doing that for weeks. It's all on these boards somewhere. It should have been us and Chicago in the final. No fishin' playoffs for two fishin' weeks. Us and Chicago - best in the west vs best in the east. End of story.

But no, this is MLS. This is America. We're hungry for the whole playoff system.

Yeah, what-fishin'-ever. I'm a fishin' American and have been for more than a quarter century. I say the playoffs stupid.

23. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    This is such a weird state! I'm depressed but not broken because we could have a freakish outburst at home next week...NEVER say never.

Nonetheless, I am still pretty deflated by the way things have turned since September. A few quick, random thoughts...see if you agree:

1) On the eve of this disheartening result, I'm trying very hard to remember how we felt about this team's chances before the season started and I'm seeking comfort in the fact that they already have accomplished something remarkable--even if they exit next Sunday. We were supposed to be where Dallas is...remember?!?

2) Whether it was the format from the Cup year of 2001 or this new crap, I am not in favor of any of this. We should play the game the way the rest of the world plays it...one table, one season, one champion. I can't even be accused of "sour grapes" for this because under my preposed scenario, Chicago would have been champs--not us...it just is the right thing to do!

3) I have the greatest admiration for Coach Yallop and what he has done for this team. Having said that, I will admit to feeling somewhat "cheap" in second guessing the approach of coasting through the remainder of the regular season--turning it off, then expecting to be able to turn it on again come playoff time. In 35+ years of sports watching, I have never seen a team be able to do that and win a championship. If you are good enough to steamroll the league, then steamroll them all the way through the championship (like the '85 Chicago Bears.) NEVER PLAY "PREVENT!"

4) I'm disappointed for the guys. I know they haven't quit yet but they deserve a much better fate, as do the fans of this team. The same nightmare two years in a row?? Let's hope not.

5) Best road record in the league--by far. So, why the hell can't we win in L.A?

Looking forward to seeing all of you next Sunday as we see how this all unfolds. Don't give up! We're not dead yet!.....but, oy, is this gonna be a long friggin' week.

GO QUAKES!!!

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp This has actually crossed my mind several times this past week. It's like you have the power of ESPN (or ESP, or whatever)! :eek:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

25. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ok, enough venting for now. I'm gonna go drink myself to sleep :(