Los Angeles - San Jose W.C. Semi Game 1 (Sat., 11/1) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a counter-question for UCLACarlos: How's the visibility there, in the L.A. area? Getting any better, and how do you think that's going to shape up for kickoff time Saturday around dusk?

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Los Angeles - San Jose W.C. Semi Game 1 (Saturday, 11/1) pregame thread

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp That would be an awesome birthday present for me too! :cool:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

3. calcio tifosi

calcio tifosi New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Sacramento
    Los Angeles - San Jose W.C. Semi Game 1 (Saturday, 11/1) pregame thread

I like Ramiro over Russell- he's going to take the ball away and disrupt LA's flow....which was nonexistent until the last two weeks- Its not that the Gals are world beaters now....they just look more compact and confident...there were crucial stretches of several matches where they looked the worst team in the league....even Dallas was able to take the lead in a lot of games they ultimately lost and they're young and promising....LA? Its a matter of shooting them down! Early or late the Quakes with their best eleven playing well can handle these guys! The Donovan subject mentioned earlier is so true- he has been gone twice, a little banged up, BUT NOW....NOW its time to show what he means to this team and this league. He has played more conservative roles....almost saving himself... and maybe we have developed DeRo and ???? (fill in with hot playing Mullan, Mulrooney, overlapping defender, etc) to the point where a POACHING L.D. can play the role of Inzaghi at Milan....occasional target man- BUT ALWAYS DANGEROUS man when he has the ball IN THE BOX!!! That is what I want to see! Landon with looks at the goal! If he dishes last second to easy goals for another - GREAT, BUT he's got to get looks....even if it means leaving the midfield alone a bit....that's why we have Richard, Ronnie, and Ramiro!!!! Control the ball, build the attack .... bring up Mullan or Dunivant on an overlap....pressure those LA *******s and BAM!

GOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Uh, I can only speak for Oakland/Berkeley. the visibility here is ... excellent. ;)

I hear conflicting reports about the air quality, or better said, I think it depends on where you are. Post the ?? at the LA Galaxy forum.

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You speak my language, Carlos. I went to college in the East Bay, at Cal State Hayward, and otherwise spent a good amount of time there in my younger years. The views are excellent, especially from Hayward (atop Harder Road, at CSUH) and Berkeley.

I might do that, or lurk there for research, at the very least.

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Okay, now I'm really starting to get excited about this game. Hope I don't peak too early. :)

Read somewhere about the lineup...looks like Corrales is starting in middle with Mulrooney; Ekelund on the bench. I can't remember. Have we done that before? And most importantly, did it work?

8. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Man I'm fired up about this game !! I really think we're gonna get the W this weekend, I can feel it !

9. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Notebook update on the front page of www.sjearthquakes.com states:

"Yallop seems to have settled on a starting lineup that could feature Landon Donovan and Dwayne De Rosario at forward with Brian Mullan, Ramiro Corrales, Richard Mulrooney and Ian Russell in the midfield with Chris Roner, Jeff Agoos, Troy Dayak and Todd Dunivant on defense and Pat Onstad in goal."

10. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose

No Ekelund? Hmmmm.

11. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm not too happy about that. But that's just what the article says. And it did also say that Franky is taking EVERYONE with him on this trip so he can decide on the final lineup down there. Things may change.

12. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    So that means Mullan's slotted to play a-mid? Interesting. Wonder if Ronnie's not 100%.

As a fan, I'm more comfortable w/Mullan out wide right and Ekelund in the middle, but Ekelund has been even more inconsistent this season than Spejic usually gives him "credit" for.

Or could this mean Ramiro at a-mid w/Mullan out wide?

I presume Russell's not playing inside.

13. mike mcclellan

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose

Much as I like him, Ronnie's yet to have a game where he looked like his old self. On the other hand, I thought Ramiro has stepped his game up dramatically this year. As long as Frankie doesn't ask too much of him Ramiro fits nicely into the team.

I still don't have good feelings about this. When I close my eyes I still see Columbus. I won't have those demons exorcised until we're holding the Cup aloft in the middle of the Toolbox.

14. mike mcclellan

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose

By the way. How sweet would it be to have Mullan come up HUGE this series against his old team? I'd love to see him get both game winners...

15. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
    It means Ramiro will be in the center of midfield with Mulrooney, playing defensively, since we are away in the first game. They will sit back and Mullan and Russell will attack down the flanks.

Commentators have suggested that the team that successfully wins the battles on the flanks will win this series.

I would expect Ronnie to start at Spartan because it is smaller.

16. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I wanted that for the last two games. Especially when I was wearing his shirt in LA. It's good that there's still two more left for my wish to be granted. :D

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

Awww. It's like a little L.A.!

19. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Here's what I'm thinking:

*Mullen is the best right back we have.

*If the midfield is some combo of Mullen, Russell Mulrooney and Corrales, I'd expect Corrales to play center mid with Mulrooney.

*I can see Ekelund as a good guy to bring off the bench. He brings a lot of fire and bite to the midfield. Good for the last half hour whether you're a goal up or a goal down.

*The Quakes may be more cagey this time. Last game in LA we "took it to them" and LA exposed us on the counter. We may simply not want to give them much space this time, and may play more conservative. Ugh.

*In which case I wouldn't be shocked if Faria started. I expect Faria, Manny and Jamil to get time in this series. But when we're short of answers, the guy I think really changes us up is Arturo Alvarez. The ball gravitates to him, and he gives opponents a tough time. It seems like teams have to adjust to deal with him, and it creates space for the rest of our guys.

...Besides the fact that he's creative, unpredictable, and can flat out beat people.

I don't expect to see him against LA.

20. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Okay so I could've read that cyber soccer thing before I posted.

But see? I can second-guess Frank Yallop. I just don't always agree with him.

21. chacarita

chacarita New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Newport Beach
    Go Quakes!

I just wanted to say how excited that I am about this game! I'm not sure how many from this thread are going with Bill, but I won't know anyone and I am stoked. This is the great thing about futbol, soccer, whatever you call it. Strangers can come together and have a great time it is a beautiful thing! I wanted to thank you again Reeves. Oh!

I called the ticket office at the depot center and she said that the will call was at the southend of the stadiums for groups. by the fountain. Just a little heads! Talk to you all later and go Quakies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Go Quakes!

Hey, thanks for tracking that down! Who woulda thought you can call them up and ask them? (Not me.) ;)

We have 14 of the tickets taken. Those of you who need to pick up your tickets, SOUTH END of the stadium, by the fountains, that's where we'll be!

23. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ekelund, Robinson?

The article about the game on QuakeMagic.com does not include Ekelund or Robinson in the lineup or on the bench.

I assume this is an oversight, but does anyone know for sure?

24. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that lineup is pure speculation on Jeff's part. In his article just a paragraph or two above the lineup list, he states:

"Yallop will have a bit of a dilemma as far as his choice of substitutes is concerned. The only certainty is that super-sub Jamil Walker will be included. Beyond that Yallop would not indicate who would be on the subs’ bench."