Los Angeles - San Jose W.C. Semi Game 1 (Sat., 11/1) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Los Angeles - San Jose W.C. Semi Game 1 (Saturday, 11/1) pregame thread

The tiks are going in the mail (to HDC) to be used by a Galaxy fan I'm sure.....damn I'm disappointed ... no quakes want to even try haul their CANDY-ASSES down there! I would but I'll be working....

Hard talk from someone that's not even going. Maybe some of us have families and can't go. Maybe some of us have already gone to the HDC twice this year and don't want to spend another $ 300- $ 400 when we're playing the determining game at home a week later.

2. calcio tifosi

calcio tifosi New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Sacramento

A THOUSAND PARDONS!!! I'm sorry, I should have left out the "C-A" comment!!! You're correct....I'm just frustrated that I couldn't find anyone who was going already and would take the extra tickets- I brought 13 people besides myself to the last match and paid for the van and every ticket- I CARE ABOUT THIS GAME AND THIS TEAM!!! The name thing was childish, but I am passionate about this sport and about this team!!! The silence in the Casbah was surprising BUT, THOSE ARE GREAT PEOPLE THERE and we were missing our BIG DRUM....I know that....I was just trying to light a fire!

Next time I will treat y'all like the great folks that you are....I was in the Casbah, and am proud to do so every (other) week- I didn't take offense at the barbs pointed my way....of course I didn't get called a C-A....Well, I was worse- I was an over-reactive Americano with the Sports Dad mentality....forgive me.... FORZA SAN JOSE!!!

I had tiks to the last HDC game too...the 0-3 drubbing, but I spent the time at a subordinate's re-enlistment party....so, who's the C-A? The best road trip was to DC where I have a lot of friends from "Summers", THE soccer fans' hide out in the DC area....I worked hard to NOT gloat as we came from behind to win on CHing's and Lagos' combo....and for the sake of some passionate fans back east I'm glad DC made it.

3. UltrasSanJose

UltrasSanJose New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    richmond

CalcioTifosi, just a little correction. Most of the Lazio fans that you saw against Club America where actually the Ultras. We all decided to support the Italian team, at that game.

4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so we're pretty clear about who we're going to play, but what about the "Candy-Ass," water-stealing, smog-breathing, cheating, wanker, galactoscum? Who are they putting on the pitch?

Probably these candy-asses for sure:

- - - - - - KHartman
    Califf - Hong - Marshall
    five more weasels in midfield: Jones, Cien, Elliot, Vagenas, Albright? Maybe?
    El Pedito and Moreno up front? or El Pedito and Serna?

Don't they have some injured dudes? And they ought to have a couple more sitting with red-cards, but Valenzuela was a CANDY-ASS ref last week. ;)

Just had to use that C-A expression.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

5. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

El Pedito and Moreno up front? or El Pedito and Serna?

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh man that's funnier 'n hell !

6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, thank you CARLOS1! I've posted "El Pedito" several times, but no one has gotten it before.

For those of you who don't speak Spanish (and mine isn't that good, I must admit) "El Pedito" means "Little Fart."

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp What's the latest word on whether or not this game will need to be moved due to the fires down there? :confused:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last I heard, the game won't have to be moved. There's enough relief in sight to keep the game at the HDC.

http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USCA0638

General forecast is for cooler weather and showers, which may not be ideal for good soccer, but it'll be fantastic in terms of relieving the air quality there of late.

Note well the Special Weather Statement link towards the top of that page.

Also, if there was any possibility that the game would be moved, I think that announcement would, for all logistical reasons, come from MLS's offices today.

9. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen this posted. Maybe I skipped over it. Sorry if it's here somewhere.

The office is hosting a viewing party at the Almaden Britannia Arms on Almaden Expressway. And Club Quake will be at the downtown Britiannia Arms on West Santa Clara. So we have a couple choices as to where to see the game.

What's a girl to do? I hate making decisions! :)

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Downtown, definitely.

And since I used to work downtown, you must watch the game for me in spirit. ;)

I've got some new tactical thoughts on the game this weekend, which I need to formulate, including what may be a revised potential lineup, and I'll post that soon, I hope.

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Which may come today, as I'm pretty skeptical that the air-quality there being "just good enough" would be deemed safe for 27k roudy fans packed in a stadium.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Or maybe not... we'll see. :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll see, indeed.

I'll lean towards the status quo, though. Game 1 at the HDC, Game 2 at Spartan.

However, what role would the HDC's roof play in the current air quality in L.A.? Help, or hurt?

13. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Saturday's Match on FSW!!!

So, what do they do in this case? Play somewhere else in SoCal? I mean, surely they don't ask SJ to punt the home field advantage (the only real point to there being a regular season) just because of this. I hope they lean more towards rescheduling, if necessary.

FYI, I saw no mention in any article, but if you look in the little Quakes schedule on p.2 of Mercury Sports, you'll notice they have added TV coverage for Saturday's match. It'll be on Fox Sports World (Ch. 401 on Comcast Digital Cable), so for the many who don't get that channel, be thankful for the multiple viewing parties.

14. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ain't gonna do crap. It's not a big roof. It doesn't cover the whole stadium. It's more like tarps over the sides. When they had fireworks there when we were there, the smoke collected down inside the stadium as if it were a valley. But that's not because of the roof. The rood really ain't gonna do anything one way or the other.

15. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

And you'll have to make up for me too, since I'll be calling the final SJSU volleyball match of the season at the time our boys are invading SoCal.

16. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Air quality in LA isnt good at any time, but just be glad we didnt play down there last week. MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH worse. I dont think it will be much of a factor. It wont be anything youd want to live in, but I doubt it will noticeably effect the game.

17. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose

I ran into a Quakes Staffer on Tuesday morning. He asked what I thought of the team recently. I told him that it was hard to tell because of the relative lack of meaning to the last two, but that the sluggishness sure looked more like last year's playoff team than 2001. He nodded then smirked and said that as a team they are now probably healthier than they had been at any point this season.

He said that Eddie and Ramiro were set to start practicing that day. They had done as much rehab as was necessary and that it was time to get them back on the field. Fully expected them to be ready to go a full 90.

I told him that for my birthday, I'd told my wife that all I want is a trip to the Final if the Quakes are there. For what it's worth, he said that he's got a feeling they're going all the way.

18. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Los Angeles - San Jose W.C. Semi Game 1 (Saturday, 11/1) pregame thread

Well that's certainly encouraging...

...although I don't know who you mean by a "Quakes staffer."

Personally, I start Ramiro ahead of Russell at left mid. Russell hasn't been in form since 2001.

I also probably start Cowboy over Eddie at center back and stay with Roner at right back 'cause of his speed.

At least Frankie has a full slate of choices this week.

19. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I've got a feeling too. But that doesn't mean much.

There's one thing about being 100% healthy and just playing through the pain. We KNOW Cowboy is playing through his pain. I can't help but think that Eddie would be at that point still too. When you play through pain you can't play 100%. You just can't. You even risk the chance or further injuring yourself when other muscles/parts of your body try to make up for what the injured part can't do. Or you just might make your injury worse.

But I do know that both Eddie and Cowboy are strong players, physically and mentally. They'll give it their all. However much that may be.

20. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose

Sorry for the mystery, but this person has been great to talk to this year and I wouldn't want to betray their trust by spilling too much. You could definitely say inner circle and in a position to know these things. Anyway the good news is that they are healthy and hopefully ready to start firing on all cylanders again.

21. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

This isn't a troll...

Just a question, and I'm not sure if it's been addressed in the thread yet...

It seems pretty apparent from last Sat's game that SJ has definitely held back the past 2 weeks. How much do you think they've been holding back?

22. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's been some good discussion about this. Both coaches had to do what was right for their teams in two essentially meaningless games. They had different things to accomplish.

I don't think the Galaxy have seen the Quakes at full strength, and that may be what Frank was up to: hiding his cards. Plus he got to rest some injured guys.

But I don't think the guys on the field were at any time holding back.

Sigi meanwhile had a much different task. He had to get his guys up. And he did it. LA is looking better now than they were going into the series.

23. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

About 65 percent.

24. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Saturday's Match on FSW!!!

Haven't heard anything yet, and given that, the game is staying there.

Moving the game would have been a logistical nightmare, so it's a very good thing that it hadn't come to that.

On that note, I'm sure the Galaxy-- even if the game had been moved out of the region, to even somewhere like Portland or Fresno, for example-- wouldn't want to lose their home-field advantage, either.

Sadly, viewing parties don't do me any good over here... especially since I've got to go to Geelong tomorrow morning. :(

Can't even get the webcast, not unless I can talk one of my in-laws into pinching their internet connection for 2 p.m. or so on Sunday (that's the live kickoff time here).

25. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good post and question, Carlos.

To reply, I'd say that the Quakes have been holding back a lot-- and this leads nicely into the point I've been planning on making...

In particular, and I don't want to say that Landon Donovan hasn't been giving his best at any point in the season, but I'd like to see him do more now that the playoffs are here.

In fact, I want to see him take this series by the scruff of the neck and dominate. I'd like to see him become a bit more selfish-- there's a time and a place for that, and that time is now.

Working with his teammates is one thing, such as with DeRo and those in the midfield, but if he's supposed to be the best player in the league, let's see him bring it.

I think we'll see the absolute best of Landon Donovan in the playoffs this year.