Los Angeles - San Jose (Saturday, 10/18) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The final score is:

&nbsp&nbsp[​IMG] &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp [​IMG]
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 3 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 0

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp You can read a recap of the game here.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

2. quakes_fan21

quakes_fan21 New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    This game fishin SUCKED!!! I can't believe we lost 3-0, where was our defense all night? I really hope this game serves the quakes as a wake up call, because we'll be out of the playoffs really soon if we keep playing like this.

3. jose8lo

jose8lo BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 9, 2002
    washington
    I'm not too concerned about the loss because we control the ball I'll say 80% of the time,but I'm definetely concerned about finishing.Nobody seems to shoot the ball on net,Moreno was making Dunivant look silly everytime.How come Ramiro did not play?and Eklund did not start ,Russell had a decent game for once.L.A. third goal offsides clearly,anyways we need to kick their asses on the 25th!

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I believe that he was hurt to an extent.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I'm not sure why, although I think that Donovan was taken out early (with Ekelund in his place) because Donovan was sort of hurt in the Colorado game last week, and his status just prior to this game was 50-50.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

5. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just do not lose to the scum!!!! :mad:
    That game just plain sucked elephant farts. I hope the Quakes can shovel the crap out and get turned around.
    Props to Jordan for overwhelming those Galactobrats at the end of the game.

6. quakes_fan21

quakes_fan21 New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    I hope we have an attendance like tonights next week at Spartan, when we take down the scum at home!!

7. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the third goal was onside. However, it was all over by then. The early first goal came from an LA attack that continued only because a hand ball wasn't called. There's also a good case to be made that Marshall stuck out his arm and committed a hand ball on that first-half shot. And Waibel's foul on Moreno was most appropriately awarded a yellow rather than a red. Not Kennedy's best match, though I haven't seen many stellar performances from him over the years.

Quakes need to step it up a notch. Including the Chivas game, we haven't scored in the last four. Also, our defense looked very suspect tonight. I think teams have figured out the greatest chance for success against the Quakes is to counterattack. Nothing tonight will make anyone think otherwise.

Just glad we laid the egg now rather than in the playoffs...

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I know how you feel. :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Here's a strange observation, though, which'll undoubtedly get Spartacus and Albany to roll their eyes and scold me again: While nowhere near the main reason why the Earthquakes lost tonight, it seems that the Yallop-era Quakes has been a team built for the sub-70 yard wide field of Spartan (this was really obvious last season!). This season they've done well on the road, but then again most MLS fields aren't really all that much bigger than Spartan's... they just don't have walls inches away from the sidelines.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp In any case, the Quakes have never really done well on the 75 yard wide field of Columbus Crew Stadium (2001 playoffs and MLS Cup 2001 aside), and those same struggles were painfully obvious today on the Toolbox's 75 yard wide field as well (especially in the defense)... even before Waibel's red card. And it'll get worse in the next 3-4 years, as just about every MLS team will be getting its own soccer-specific stadium with its own 75 yard wide field.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Again, I'm not saying that the size of the field was the main reason the Earthquakes lost tonight (the Fallacy were hungry, the Quakes were lethargic, and the red card completely sealed SJ's fate in this game), but if the Earthquakes want to keep up with the rest of the league in the next few years, it'll need its own SSS or (much more likely) a reconstructed Spartan Stadium... in either case, San Jose needs its own 75 yard wide field sooner rather than later, and for Yallop (or whoever succeeds him if he becomes Canada's head man) to rebuild the team accordingly!

-G

9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    It's a good thing that this game didn't count for shyte, nor does the next one. Let the galaxatives have their little victory, it's bound to be the only one they have all year They're starving, let them eat cake:D The playoffs are where we have to put up or shut up. This game don't mean doodly-squat;)

10. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Well that just sucked. I think LA was totally feelin good after that early first goal. Our defense looked so so weak. Waibel out also really hurt us.

Onstad had a couple of nice saves. We controlled the ball and then their defense just swarmed around us. We had our chances. De Rosario didn't have too great of a game, it seemed like he gave up the ball a lot. Brian Mullan played a nice game as did Richard Mulrooney.

11. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was Agoos that Moreno was abusing. He just ran right past the guy. Dunivant seemed caught upfield.

I disagree. Offensively the Quakes were fine really until Waibel decided to get a red, they just couldnt shoot straight (which is a different problem that needs to be solved). Much more creative on the open field than Spartan, especially Mullan who was extremely dangerous. The problem was that our back line was badly exposed for speed and space. Dunivant got caught upfield a number of times, Agoos was beaten like a drum by Moreno and pretty everyone else on the galaxy with pace, and in general the Quakes didnt close down in 1v1 situations at all giving guys all day on the ball. Really missed Robinson in this one who is are best defender in space.

Im pretty worried about the Galaxy playoff series right now, because at HDC I just see our wingbacks getting out of position and Agoos's lack of footspeed getting exposed on the big field and falling on the road. Then at Spartan the Galaxy could just pack it in and play for a tie, as our offense has been crap at home.

Hope Im wrong, but really weve been weak of late.

12. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting hit by a leaf blown in a stiff breeze would be enough to knock DeRo off the ball. He drives me insane sometimes.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I guess I'll disagree with your disagreement. :p

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Actually, what you've stated strengthens my point: the younger and/or faster Quakes work much better with more space, while the defense (filled with older and/or slower players) repeatedly gets burned on the bigger fields. Again, the rest of MLS will all have 75 yard wide fields soon, so the much smaller field of Spartan will become even more of a handicap.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp And by the way, HDC doesn't have a big field, it has a normal-sized field... it's Spartan that has a small field. :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

14. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its all relative. :p

Not really, you said the quakes arent suited to a large field. I thought that only partially true. I think the real problem was that we were too aggressive tonight, we need to sit back more on the road on a larger field to limit the amount of space our defenders have to cover. But I think offensively we will still be better on the road than at home because the bottom line is we cant really break a bunkered defense at Spartan to save our lives.

Edit: Interesting side not going into the playoffs. With Brian Ching in the starting lineup I believe we are 8-1-5 for 29 points in 14 games. Without him we are 6-6-3 for 21 points in 15 games.

15. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good quote:

“What game?” Mulrooney said. “It's like a golf tournament and they had the better first round.”

also, on a sadder note:

this loss wraps up the supporter's shield for the fire. :(

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp No, not really: there's a reason why both current MLS SSS's have 75 yard wide fields, why Dallas is already building one with a 75 yard wide field, why all future MLS SSS's are being planned with 75 yard wide fields in mind (Harrison, NJ; Denver; etc.), and why the recently-built NFL stadiums that were built with soccer also in mind have 75 yard wide fields (New England; Denver's current stadium; Seattle; etc.)... it's because it's the World Cup standard, and the standard of all (or at least most, but soon to become all) the top clubs in the top leagues around the world. I believe the World Cup standard length is 116 yards, but it might be 120 yards. But the 75 yard wide standard is undisputed. :p

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Okay, you kinda have a point, but still... the Quakes' speedy guys need more space than Spartan Stadium currently provides, and the current defense is too slow on a normal-sized field. It'll hurt the Quakes much more to have to adjust to a different playing style (for different field sizes) for half the season than it will be for each visiting team to adjust to Spartan's small field the one or two times it visits there while playing the rest of its games (both home and away) on 75 yard wide fields.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp All MLS fields should (and will, except maybe San Jose's) be about the same size, with no one stadium being easier to bunker in than any other!

-G

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are so right, BK! However, with a performance like that against the water-thieves, one worries that the Quakes may be in some kind of funk. Let's hope the guys put up for the next three.

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to again reiterate to Mr. Goodsport, that I do not see Spartan as such an advantage to the Quakes because the only time they practice there is the day before a game. All practice sessions are on a much wider field. As far as your lobbying for an (yes, that's right it takes an "an") SSS is concerned, fine. I have no objections. A wider pitch has numerous advantages; so get out there, Goodsie, and set a fire under the asses of AEG and their architects, so they'll build that SSS.

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I would, but a certain stadium announcer would then convince them otherwise.

-G

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was definitely onside.

I was watching the game on my TiVo and I went back, watched the replay in slo-mo, and paused when Ruiz made the pass. Elliott was about a foot onside when the pass was made, but timed his run perfectly and received it about five yards behind the defenders.

Contrary to what Messrs. Shrader and Doyle said, the linesman got it right.

21. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We just came out with no intensity. From about the first couple of minutes I knew we were in trouble there was nothing there.

We did play some "pretty" football at times, but nothing that threatened Hartman. Lets face if it wasn't for a couple of outstanding saves by Onstad we'd have been in a lot worse shape and one of them was before the first goal. It was like we played into the scums hands. They are team that plays slowly, generally with not much creativity passing the ball around waiting for the opposition to make mistakes. We did. Teams need to put pressure on the ball for LA then they crumble, especially starting at the back. There was only couple of times we did that and when we did thats when we looked dangerous. We also need to get our first team defence back on the field.

Waibel definatly deserved the red and I think if the players saw the angle we did they would agree. What a bone headed play. It would have been bad enough if it was near our area, but, it was near theirs. Also thelast goal was on-side I totally agree with ElJefe. My initial reaction was that it was on and after watching and pausing the replay he was onside IMO, although the camera angle made it tough.

One last comment about the scum. They need a creative midfielder. Even when we were on the ropes they only scored a counter attack goal. They have no idea. And was it conincidence that one of their better performances this year came without Cobi playing? I don't think so as I has caused the breakdown of so many of their attacks this year.

As Derek Jeter said after the World Series game last night...we lost the first game to Minnesota and Boston and came back to win so why not this one. I hope it rings true for the Quakes also.

-Richard

22. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    HDC impressions

For those that were there, what did you think?

Having been there 3 times, last night I realized that ANY seat in the house is better than watching it on t.v., definitely not the case at the Rose Bowl. Behind the goals are incredible seats when the action is right in front of you, but you miss a lot on the other side. But it's worth it.

It was great that the game was on channel 36 last night. The Quakes deserve more games on t.v.

BTW, the Quakes cannot let the G's get a rhythm going. It's been their downfall all year, guys not clicking. And yes, we (G's) need a creative mid-fielder.

23. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah I'm pretty worried about the defense. They seemed pretty weak and caught upfront. Then they would always have to scramble back in position when LA got possession of the ball. We really needed Eddie Robinson right there in that game. I think the 4-4-2 lineup worked better than the 4-4-3 we had last night.

24. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you mean 4-3-3? Anyways, Donovan was playing center midfield with Mulrooney. Ekelund certainly works better with Mulrooney in the middle, and Donovan seems more effective up top. The weakened center mid combined with the weaker frontline (Faria isn't that effective right now, at least on finishing) put more pressure on the defense, particularly on counterattacks.

25. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. The Scum play a lot like the Mexican teams: Chivas, the Mexico Nats, etc. Frustrate the hell out of them in the beginning and they'll bust themselves up.