Pre-match: Los Angeles Galaxy - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 10/24) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BCaso18

BCaso18 Member

SJ Earthquakes, Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2005
    Home of the Tule Fog
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone know that on Highway 99 between Fresno and Madera, there are two trees, a Palm to the south and a pine to the north. Those two trees are the marker for the exact center of California, both north and south, and from what I have been told east and west. So technically everything from Fresno down should be considered in Southern California.

2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    People in Humboldt Co. are way too stoned to figure out where THEY are, let alone where northern Cal is... [​IMG]

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes Quakes crush AEG!!

But there is no Central California. There's Northern, and Southern.

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Northern California" is a cultural construct. It doesn't mean the pure geographic northern 50% or 33% of the state. There is nothing wrong with calling places near the middle of the state "Northern California," just as there is nothing wrong with calling a region in the eastern half of the United States "the Midwest." Go Quakes.

5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Totally agree. The only people who have a problem with the fact that the Baya Area is the capital of NorCal are the hippies and woodsies of the unpopulated counties north of Sonoma (AKA - "extreme southern Oregon")...

6. El Pitudo

El Pitudo New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Go Arturo and Ramon!!!! :cool:

Again.

7. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, here's the play-off implications of this match (not for us obviously, but for those LA hosers):

So, if LA beat us, they clinch 1st place in the Western Conference and home-field advantage through out the play-offs. :mad:

If we beat them, then the winner of Houston @ Chivas USA wins the Conference, or if that game ends in a draw, Seattle could win their match and would take 1st. No matter what, LA would come in no higher than 2nd place in the conference. A Seattle win and a win by either Chivas or Houston would mean LA finishes no higher than 3rd and would have to go on the road to Seattle for the second match of the Conference semi-finals, then would potentially have to go on the road to Houston for the Conference Final. :D

If we tie LA, they still have a chance to take 1st place pending the following help: as long as Seattle lose or tie, and as long as Houston and Chivas USA tie their match. :(

Also, as has been noted already, a win against LA would allow us to equal our point total from last year (8-13-9, 33 points).

So, clearly, we NEED to win this match. ******** those guys.

8. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And another thing, those guys are supremely confident that they will win. One day before the match and they haven't even bothered to open up a pre/during/post-match thread because they are already clinking the champagne glasses, slapping high-fives and congratulating each other on winning the West.

This Saturday is the biggest game of the season. I sure hope it has a nice ending. :)

Did I say "******** those guys" yet?

9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    In addition, if we lose this match we will tie our worst record ever, a remarkable landmark of failure. We must win if for no other reason that turning a screw in the socal filth's season.

10. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think we should stage a contest between bsman and Mark (anyone else is free to enter) on who can produce the largest number and highest quality of LA derogatories. These are priceless.

11. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sorry. I wrote that under the heavy influence of Guinness, South African wine (preparing for the World Cup?) and William Butler Yeats. Strange combination BTW.

12. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Excellent. Excellent point.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    And here's the zero that will be officiating the bloodbath....

REFEREE: Silviu Petrescu. SAR (bench): Hector Vergara; JAR (opposite): Frank Anderson; 4th: Yader Reyes MLS Career: 14 games; FC/gm: 33.1; Y/gm: 4.4; R: 4; pens: 1

16. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey now, don't be dissin us hippies and woodsies.

I live in one of those unpopulated counties north of Sonoma, and I consider the Bay Area the capital of Nor Cal. The people who have the problem with it are southerners who are jealous that we have San Francisco :D

17. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Sorry -- I just wish I could celebrate tomorrow's win with some of Humboldt Co's finest! :D

18. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    Same here. Great White from Lost Coast Brewery on 4th St in Eureka just after HWY 101 makes a sharp right.

19. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst record ever was 29 points in 2000. Already beat it in 3 fewer games.

20. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Got it - so "Northern California" is a state of mind. Now don't be stingy and pass the blunt, and tell Mr. Hollywood over there to take a hike.

21. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Nobody remembers the points, they only remember the records and my point is still valid, we tie our worst season ever if we fail to win this match. Having only 7 wins in a 31 game season is pathetic.

22. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Why people would ruin perfectly good herb by placing it in a tobacco casing is beyond me. :(

23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When they start ranking teams and qualifying for the playoffs based on wins rather than points, I'll agree with you.

24. Raffaelo

Raffaelo Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Wandering the Desert
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Thank god Yader Reyes is only the 4th official and not actually out there where he can do much damage. This season he's been responsible for the 2 most poorly-officiated NCAA games I've ever seen. What's the word on Petrescu?

25. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are only 3 refs in MLS even vaguely okay and he ain't one of them. The Canadian association wouldn't know of a good ref if it bit them in the butt.