Lopez on Vidic

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Cevno, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Was this a red card and/or a Penalty ?

1. Red Card

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Yellow Card

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Just a Foul

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No Foul

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/1...Diego-Lopez-Manchester-United-vs-Real-Madrid/

This discussion emanated came from the Nani thread. Cakir gave a red for that but didn't for this.

What are the thoughts of referees on this as surely seeing a player coming and punching him flash in the face, while losing the ball can cause more harm than Connecting with a player with studs up on the turn while he's coming from the other direction?

2. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Personally i think neither is a red card.

3. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rather ironic, don't you think? Keeper is allowed to punch an opponent in the head with two fists, deliberate or not (not, in my view), whereas a field player is red carded for trying to bring the ball down with his instep and the opponent runs into his foot.

ctsoccer13 and Cevno repped this.
  4. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Keeper is not allowed to do it, if you are arguing from a Technical standpoint from which Cakir gave a red card for one offence.

He was inconsistent and ballsed up or neither were red cards anyway which is my position.

But this wasn't even given as a foul, which is a disgrace.

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no need to have 3 threads going on the same match here. And there's particularly no need if it's a thinly veiled effort at sour grapes. You can discuss the Vidic/Lopez incident in the other thread if you'd like. I'll edit that title. But this thread is closed.