looking to get a handheld.....

Discussion in 'Technology' started by _chachi, Aug 5, 2003.

1. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    i want to get a pda, but i really don't know much about them. i don't want to open spreadsheets, send email or play games with one. basically, i just want to manage my calendar and contacts. and look cool, of course!!!!!

any recommendations?

2. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    The all-singing-all-dancing PDA's that come with Microsoft OS's will try to sell you Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MP3, MPEG video, Web Browsing and tonsof other wireless add-ons that have hidden costs and ultimately reduce the battery life to a couple of hours. If you need that kind of stuff buy a laptop, they don't cost much more that the top of the range PDA's.

Sounds like you want a secretary in your pocket and nothing more. Something that runs Palm OS would be perfect for you. You can enter Calendar, Contacts, To Do lists and synch them up with Outlook or Lotus Notes. The newer ones are colour and have a pretty good set of features whilst still preserving battery life to several days.

Check out the Sony Clie here, it looks pretty smart and is quite affordable.

[​IMG]

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...ProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=PEGSJ22/U

The original Palm Pilot and the HP Journada are also worth a look.

3. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    I have used Palm products for 4 years now, and am very happy with them. Highly recommended, especially for what you are looking for.

FWIW, I do practically everything on my handheld. I keep my checkbook and finances on there, as well as do my grocery shopping and other things on there :)