Looking for travel advice (State of the Tickets & Travel subforum)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has been one post in there in the last 4 plus years, and it went ignored.

So since I’ve got a trip to London upcoming I thought I’d cast about here for any and all advice anyone can provide. The likeliest travel window for me is going to surround the United match in late January, so I’m sure tickets are going to be near impossible to obtain. Early February around the Brentford game is also possible. Assuming I’m unable to secure tickets via membership on the Arsenal website, is there any recommended alternative?

How about hotels? Not looking for the fanciest place, but where are the best bets to stay nearby or with easy access via public transit? What pubs are must visits near the stadium?

As I said, any and all advice is welcome and very much appreciated.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad that you're gonna be able to make it over. And very much hope you get a game in.

I'm considering it myself as I haven't been for 5-6 years but it's probably a long shot. I've always had this dream of going to support us at Anfield. And this year might be the perfect year to do that. Though it's in April, and if we're still in the hunt then, the tickets will be hard to get I suppose.

BUT, I'd probably be happy to see any match, home or away. And I'll be very interested to see what you dig up ticket-wise, and more importantly how you manage to do it.

Tonerl repped this.
  3. rifkin

rifkin Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There is the possibility of a FA Cup 4th round match at home or in/around London. And I'd look at what Academy matches are possible too.

Tonerl repped this.
  4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 yossarian, Nov 16, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    Tickets for the Yanited match will be very tough to obtain. You'll probably have much better luck with Brentford. If you're a member of ArseAm, you can request tickets through them, but you usually have to do at least 6 weeks in advance and you have to have been a member since the start of the season.

There aren't any hotels really close to the stadium. The Hilton at Angel isn't too far. Probably about a 25 minute walk. The Angel tube stop is right there, but it's not on the Picadilly Line, so you'd have to switch trains if you wanted to take the Tube from the Hilton to Arsenal. The part of Upper Street that the Hilton is on, though, is really cool, lots of bars, shops, restaurants.

When I was over in April, my buddy and I stayed at The Pullman at St. Pancras/Kings Cross. https://www.pullmanlondonstpancras.com/?y_source=1_MTUzNTk2NjYtNzE1LWxvY2F0aW9uLndlYnNpdGU=

It's not the cheapest, but it's also not ridiculously expensive. Very clean, kinda hipster. The location is great as it's just a block away from St. Pancras and Kings Cross stations, which are right on the Picadilly Line. Get the tube from there and Arsenal is just two stops away. It's also very close (next door) to the British Library, which is cool, and not far from the British Museum. Also, lots of great bars and restaurants around ---- walking distance to Dishoom. :inlove:

As far as bars near the stadium. The Tollington is as advertised. Great pub. But if you want to go there on match day, go really early. It gets paaaacked. Twelve Pins is good---but a bit more of a hike. The Gunners Pub is cool, closer to old Highbury, lots of history inside it.

If I've forgotten anything or you want more specifics, PM me here, and I'll do my best to help.

Tonerl repped this.
  5. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah I’m assuming I’m just going to have to get extremely lucky with a website refreshing game if United is going to happen. The request window closes ten weeks before with Arsenal America now, but I’m not a member anyway. Good to know that about needing to be a member before the start of the season, also. Would’ve been annoying if I joined and then found I couldn’t request tickets anyway.

Thanks for the hotel/tube/pub knowledge. Great stuff, yoss!

6. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, honestly, I usually don't request tickets via ArseAm. They do a good job as a supporters' club and the best they can regarding tickets, but I just get my tickets via other means.

7. AKramer1983

AKramer1983 Red Card

Lazio
    Italy
    Apr 4, 2022
    I'm glad to hear you're planning a trip to London. I'm sure it will be a fantastic experience. As for tickets, have you looked into using a secondary ticket site like StubHub? That's usually my go-to when I'm looking for tickets. As for hotels, I would recommend checking out the options in Islington or Holloway. Those areas are close to the stadium and offer plenty of great alternatives. As for pubs, I would recommend The Emirates, The Gunners, and The Horseshoe. All of these pubs are close to the stadium and offer great atmospheres. I hope this helps. If you're looking for a more extended stay in London, you may need a special visa. When I stayed one year in Malaysia, I got a digital visa from nomadgirl.co. This visa is designed for remote workers and provides a long-term stay in the country.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that last post complete BS?

For example, can you really get resold tickets via StubHub?

That’s what I usually do in the USA, but I thought in England that wasn’t really a thing for one reason or another.

I’m still toying with the idea of going over for 4-5 days mid March through early April and there are a few matches I have my eyes on then, home or away.