Look Out 2007....2008....2009............

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Chargefan, Jul 7, 2005.

1. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not a MLS/W-League/WPSL base?

Instead of starting from scratch with new teams, why not form a partnership with some of the top clubs in both the W-League and WPSL? They already have established fan base, area brand recognition, most of thetop players and some front office staff. The big hurdles would be increasing front office staff, upgrading faclities in some case and player payrolls (and all of the expenses that go along with that workers comp, insurance, SS/medicare).

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Why not a MLS/W-League/WPSL base?

The W-League is strictly semiprofessional and, according to a couple of posters here, has no plans to go fully pro.

Sachin

3. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And since the new Div I league would probably take some good talent from them, I doubt they are going to want to be real cozy with them.

4. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Nice fantasy, but where do you plan to find enough pro-level players to fill 32 teams? WUSA took three years to get just 8 teams with rosters that were pretty solid from top to bottom.

5. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's not completely true, the W-League has no plans on going fully pro. But their comminsioner/director has stated that they would like to be involved with the next pro league and it could be the next step for some of the teams.

6. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I find this amusing. When I suggested as much on another thread -- that the new women's league look to the sss facilities and link with MLS -- I was roasted by the local savants. And about a year ago I suggested that the new league should be a womens division of MLS -- not WMLS -- and even share the name of the men's team, which even the WNBA has not done.

Whatever. Just whatever. Que sara, sara.

7. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is actually completely false. The W-League is completly amateur. The women may get paid for doing camps and other things but none of them get paid to play. If so the NCAA would not allow the college kids to play.

8. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that would be nice to see.

9. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Best to start with two regional leagues of 8 teams each. With the winners meeting in a take all final.

10. Tom T

Tom T New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Soccer Wasteland

Are you sure it's COMPLETELY false? I thought there was some kind of set-up where some of the non-college players were paid, but the college players were definitely not paid

I would bet my last buck on it...if I still have it

???????

11. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Please hand over your last dollar.

Players in the W-league are not paid for their on-field performance. Teams may pay players to work at camps or in the office.

The simple fact is, if some were paid to play, the NCAA would allow none of the eligible players to play. Why would the NCAA make an acception for women's soccer, when nothing of the sort is allowed in baseball, basketball, etc.?

Same situation in the PDL. No "pay-for-play".