Look Out 2007....2008....2009............

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Chargefan, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Found this posted on Heather Mitts Website by Heather herself

This does not bode well for anything... scratch every player from the former WUSA who decided they need to work or have a family.

yadda yadda yadda - I am hearing great things about 2010 - (who was Mia Hamm)

2. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Camps can be a windfall, especially for people who have ties to the community (and not to mention the National program). But on the other hand, the kids and families can be very fickle, especially in the Northeast.

Has she is just starting to plug the camp? As you work into August you start dealing with an already jam packed summer tournament schedule, HS pre-seasons, family vacations, and not to mention the fact that kids probably have been to one if not more camps (soccer or other) already this summer. I won't even go into the weekend camp topic. She is also competing against the NJ Wildcat's camps, where we all know several of the Nats (US and other) are.

If she just started getting this going, no matter who is going to staff it, you will get just a handful of rug rats participating and paying the $250.

3. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And WUSA (or whatever new name they will come up with) will not start in 2007. Not in a World Cup year that will take away all of the stars.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The 2007 Womens World Cup will likely take place in the fall, and it would likely not interfere with a new women's pro league.

Obviously, players would miss games due to tune-up matches and possibly qualifying tournaments, but it wouldn't be any worse than 2003.

5. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    I wouldn't pay for her camp when the Wildcats have one for a week @200 dollars

plus with all my bitching about Hucles, my daughters big mouth is bound to say some something

Benny won't be there, We have seen Lucks and Fair recently, heather will be at the W-League championship weekend more than likely....

6. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Camps make huge amounts of money. Look at field hockey.

7. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    building or re-start a league is similar to building a company or businesses, but, why is it taking so long for the WUSA to re-build ?

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The WUSA no longer exists.

9. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Andy are you the only one who think's the WUSA doesn't exists any more. maybe for now, but it not dead. the former players don't share that view. according to them there is a committee working on a Business plan to re-launch the former league called the WS11. if it were a joke you would'nt expect these intelligent Women to be making a case for the restoring of the league. I don't care how long it will take. but I am sure it will be back better than it previously was. Andy I know you have heard of it. but why the doubt.

10. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    No, he's not

Called trying to save face

I DO think a women's league can succeed here, but don't think it will be the WUSA.

11. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    I don't get it. does you mean that a Women's proffessional league isn't possible again, since the WUSA was a proffessional league. I would love to have your views on what kind of league you have in mind. I will welcome them.

12. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    i agree w/ you, it's not dead only vacuum for awhile .....

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The WSII (not WS11) or Womens Soccer Initiative, Incorporated - is not the WUSA.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I answered the question at hand.

The WUSA is dead, and it ain't comin' back.

That does not preclude another league from happening. It doesn't preclude some of those involoved in the WUSA from being involved in whatever happens next.

15. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Sorry for the mistake Andy I didn't check my facts before I posted. thanks for the correction. but by the way we all have our trained way of reasoning we have learned, from where we start out in life. but as one poster said you tend to backtrack, sidestep any question put to you most of the time. apart from that I find some of your postes very reasonable.

16. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Noorwell, Andy is engaged in a game of semantics.

There IS an attempt to restart a women's professional (PAID) league. It may or may not (most likely not) be called WUSA (Women's United Soccer Association), but who cares what it's called as long as another league is started up, sooner rather than later.

17. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Thanks SCCL I now see the point. you explained what I had in mind but could not get across due to my limited knowledge. Thanks again.

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No, I tend to answer questions that are asked.

If folks want better answers, they should ask better questions. Or at the very least, take the time to re-read what they're about to ask.

When someone asks when the WUSA is coming back, that's a very specific question. Asking when there'll be another professional women's soccer league is a completely different question.

I am not a mind reader.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's not a game. It is what it is.

There are plenty of posters around here who want the "WUSA version 2" much more than they're interested in a different league. They want the same teams with the same players in the same cities.

If the WSII or WSII in conjunction with the USL (they've been in meetings recently) starts up a professional league, it most certainly won't be the WUSA.

Some of the intellectual property rights may get transfered. The Washington Freedom Soccer Club (the only tangible remains of the WUSA) would probably join the new league. They may even bring back the Founders Cup Trophy, but it won't be the WUSA.

20. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Oh, contrare. It was rather obvious that Noorwell was using the term "WUSA" to mean any new professional league for women. If the question wasn't up to your standards then why answer? - but to try to make the guy (or gal) sound like a moron just because they have a lack of knowledge doesn't sit well with me.

As for your assertion that plenty of posters want WUSA 2, same players, same cities - I don't see it. Most posters want a new women's professional league, and most use the "WUSA" term for that; most are knowledgeable enough to know there won't be the exact same players, and, yes, they may hope for the same cities. Most posters don't have your contacts Andy and therefore are looking for information, not recrimination.

21. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Nice rebuttal SCCL.there is some light at the end of the tunnel after all. some get's lost and some find they way out.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I disagree. I've been misunderstood in the past trying to answer as you suggest - by making the assumption they were just referring to "womens profesional soccer." I replied based on my previous experience.

We'll just have to disagree, then.

23. GLBryan

GLBryan Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Georgia
    Amen!

24. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I said I DO think a pro women's (soccer) league could succeed in the US. The WUSA needs to go away for it to happen though. For myself, I would like to see an MLS women's division in 2007 or 2008 when they have enough stadia in place. Another league with different people running it than those who ran WUSA could work as well if they do a much better job than their predecessors. But MLS came to be as a completely separate organization from the failed NASL and I believe a new women's league will have to do the same.

25. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    I like your points. but the MLS is having a lot of problems at the present time. they only have their heads above the water because of the suger Daddies. it will be hard for the ladies to find that kind of support.