London Gets The Games

Discussion in 'Cups & Competitions' started by WishHoustonHAdATeam, Jul 6, 2005.

1. WishHoustonHAdATeam

WishHoustonHAdATeam New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Houston Texas
    It was just announced on ABC news that london has been chosen to host the 2012 Olympic Games

2. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Good on you, all Londoners who are on this board.

About the only concern I have is the game of hockey; the national stadium at Milton Keynes is now being used by The Club Formerly Known As Wimbledon, and is not to FIH standard.

Will England have to build another hockey stadium?

Too, we can also speculate which stadia will host the footy competition. I think there'll be enough demand to have the biggest and best available -- Millenium, Old Trafford, New Wembley (unless that's the track-and-field complex, or are they using Crystal Palace?), Stadium of Light.

Oh, and will The Oval be used for any Olympic competition or are the old stodgies going to say "no"?

3. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    That's the Winter Olympics...isn't it?

4. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    This kind of hockey!

[​IMG]

5. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    D'OH!!! You know I've heard of AFC Wimbledon's stadium refered to as the National Hockey Stadium before and always scratched my head at that. I thought it was some dry British humor that I just didn't get. I never thoguht about field hockey.

6. whufc

whufc New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    england
    hopefully we can make it a great olympics and redevelop a place thats close to my heart as a west ham fan! the east end, its in need of a lick of paint

they are building a new stadium for the hockey, as for the football the millenium stadium is in wales so obviously wont be used. i think old traford will host a few games but wembley will host the final.

7. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Right. Apparently, they are building three hockey facilities in the Stratford area -- at 15,000-seat permanent stadium, a temporary 5,000-seat grandstand, and a practice pitch.

(of course, this is contingent on whether the sport makes it through the up-or-down vote later this week)

8. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    FYI

AFC Wimbledon play at Kingsmeadow.

Franchise FC play at the Hockey stadium.

9. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    FYI, the IOC gave the games to London representing Great Britain, NOT England. So if the Old Trafford in Manchester is acceptable then the Millenium Stadium in Wales IS ALSO acceptable.

Now, about that GB Football team, let the real games begin !!! :D

10. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
  11. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    Sorry. Us Londoners are a bit distracted by explosions and chaos at the moment, but we were pretty excited yesterday.

12. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Geez yeah, they've GOT to let GB field unified footie teams for the Olympics.

13. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    And Hamden Park and Windsor Park as well hopefully - and if we have to supply a GB footy team, so be it, we'll all be behind it whatever the populists or politicians say...................fcuk em all..............you can't bomb us into submission..............it's coming home :)