london bombings: what now? thread (political discussion) Part 2

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Dante, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    goddamn liberal lefty.

next thing, you'll be wanting to free nelson mandela. a terrorist! shame on you.

2. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    And to think you missed this one:

[​IMG]

3. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I've actually seen a real one before but this photoshopped one you got here sucks! ;)

4. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  5. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa

are you really as far left as you seem? you are left of erich mielke, who you no doubt admire.

6. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'd be left but i wouldn't be so far to the left....well in americans politics i would be but in Europe i'd be left-centre

7. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Erich Mielke is what we used to call a concrete head. I despise the ex GDR government, as much as I despise the Bush administration (or even more actually).

If you are asking who I vote for, I vote SPD in Germany (although grudgingly and because I don't see anything better) and Lib Dem in the UK.

I liked your thread about the IRA btw. A good start, and a nice contrast to some of your other posts.

8. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    the only problem i have with the european left "hating" bush is the fact that i remember how they "hated" reagan and bush 41. they european left doesn't like republican presidents on general principle. many of the things clinton did were considered acceptable because he was a democrat. the war against serbia, for example. if bush did that i think the attitude of the left both in america and in europe would have been different.

9. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Have to agree with that to a certain exstent, but the difference was the Bush lied over the war in Iraq. Not sure if Clinton lied about serbia

10. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    I have to admit that I am still not sure what should or could have been done about Serbia. I was against the bombings when they happened, but have started doubting it after speaking to a friend of mine who grew up in Sarajewo and thinks they should have happened earlier. I find the whole political situtaion in the Balkans extremely fvcked up, and I simply would have needed to go there and get some first hand evidence to make up my mind.

The last American president I liked is Carter, btw. I thought he really got the short end of the stick and was misrepresented in the media.

11. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I remember once doing a political test and i got exactly where Jimmy Carter was :)

12. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    the economy was way down at the time. that's what sunk him. his administration actually had a number of problems with corruption. his hadling of the iranian situation was not considered effective. and unlike clinton, who, like carter, was a southern governor. he actually tried to keep his campaign promises to "shake things up in wahsington," and "throw out the insiders" and that sort of thing. washington is run entirely by powerful insiders, and you can't go there and try to be a "man of the people" if that means bucking the system. he did not get along at all with a congress controlled by democrats, think about that.