Lolla off to Louisville

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Lensois, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    He was calling recruits tonight to break the news that should be confirmed in the next day or so. Team meeting scheduled for tomorrow. Sorry to see him go, best of luck in KY.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Whoa! I did NOT see this coming. Not at all.

It gets him into the Big East, which is the obvious appeal.

I'm guessing he thinks his chances of consistently getting to the Final Four, and winning an NCAA title, are better at a team that isn't currently a contender at major soccer conference, than at an established program at a mid-major.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes him to get Louisville to an elite level.

3. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Agreed, I was rather shocked to hear it myself. I thought he was satisfied for now with what he had and would stick around for a few more years to see how far he could take things at Akron. I guess he felt his stock was too high to risk waiting around a few more years when perhaps such opportunities weren't necessarily available.

As interesting as it will be to see how he does at Louisville it will be equally as interesting to see who Akron brings in.

4. thisisstupid

thisisstupid Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Watch out Big East hear comes Louisville.
    Had the pleasure of taking in a few Akron games this year as they are close to western PA.
    Lolla will make an immediate impact on this program and with Louisville's resources, imagine what he's gonna do there!!!
    BTW, I guess new contracts in soccer don't mean anything either.
    Did Louisville have to buy out Lolla at Akron? If so, it shows how committed they are to winning.
    http://gozips.collegesports.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/110205aaa.html
    Sad day for Akron but an even sadder day for the kids in that program.
    Best of luck to both.

5. shaggycat

shaggycat New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    USA
    Wow!

It is the typical Jurich hire though, the guy is a go-getter. That entire athletic program is in the midst of a huge makeover.

I don't know how many of you have seen Louisville's facilities, but their soccer complex is class (no Creighton, but not slouchy by any means). And the budget for men's soccer has been increased substantially in the last 5 years.

It is an exciting time for U of L sports, from the men's basketball team coming off a final four to the football team challenging for a Big East title.

I would look for Lolla to begin to keep a few of the guys from Louisville in the city. The 87 Javanon boys team was top 10 in the country, and not a single player went to Louisville, instead going to schools like SLU, IU, Coastal Carolina, Army, WKU, UK, UAB, Cornell, among others. I would expect Lolla to snap up some of those guys sitting right on his doorstep.

Good move for Louisville, sad if you are an Akron fan. I don't think the program will ever reach the point it was at this past year again.

6. bytheshore8

bytheshore8 New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Which makes it very hard for me to believe. Doesn't sound like something Ken would do. Akron was only losing three starters.

7. eplnut

eplnut New Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Chagrin Falls, Ohio
    There is no doubt as to the truthfulness of Lolla accepting the Louisville position. I'm sure it will be officially announced very soon, if not today.

8. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Maybe Lolla knows that some of his guys are leaving early and that led him to take off? They certainly have some talent that could do so.

9. cREWBILLY

cREWBILLY New Member

Apr 30, 1999
    Cincinnati
    Congrats from a UK fan

10. bytheshore8

bytheshore8 New Member

Jan 22, 2005

Only two players attending the combine. (edit)The only other players I think that could make it is King and Ubiparipovic.

If he is going to make a move I guess now if the time while his kids are still young.
    Go Louisville!

11. G-Shock

G-Shock New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Trenton, NJ
    It will be interesting to see if he revamps with new players or tries to
    develope the ones he has. Although it will be difficult to keep too many
    from a team that was 5-11-2. Colavecchia's problem was being able to
    recruit players into a program that was lacking in many other ways. It
    now has a stadium that is decent and outside support was hard is still
    not there. I predict that he will either go for some outstanding freshman
    and or jc transfers.
    Any thoughts?

12. shaggycat

shaggycat New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    USA
    I always feel bad for players that are run off because of a coaching change. Obviously they may be part of the reason that the record is what it is, but still, that is tough on any player to have to decide whether or not he transfers and keeps playering but leaves all his friends, or if he stays and gives up soccer. But it is what it is I guess.

13. nydeacon1980

nydeacon1980 New Member

Feb 4, 2005

I would guess it will be a combination like Adair at Clemson

freshman recuits
    JC
    NAIA

14. Tryandguess

Tryandguess New Member

Oct 15, 2005
  15. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Note to Crewbilly: When is UK going to wise up and can Ian Collins?

16. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Insiders were saying last night that Coastal Carolina may need to be on the lookout for a new Head guy. Shaun DOcking, the Chanticleers highly successful coach, is a 1988 Akron grad, has strong ties to the area and is well thoguht of at UA.

17. Ocean

Ocean New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Lolla and Ali Kazemaini (D3-John Carroll) had a good relationship, and local chit-chat says that Kazemaini has just resigned his position at John Carroll. Some are speculating that he is headed to Akron.

18. sheeplover

sheeplover Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Zidane's right foot
    Good point, the worst coach in college soccer.

19. wonderplayer

wonderplayer New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    The John Carroll coach was an All-American and Alumni of Cleveland State, I wonder if he would be going there rather than Akron.

20. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kazzie signed on with Cleveland State about a week ago. An announcement is forthcoming.

He's done very well at JC - although it's usually Ohio Wesleyan that comes away with the OAC and the tournament bid - but has no Div I experience and would be an unlikely candidate.

21. HectorM

HectorM Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Pittsburgh
  22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Da Bears

Da Bears New Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Bill,

Why would Shaun go to Akron when he never took the UIC job in Chicago? I figure UIC's conference may be as good as the MAC or better depending on the year. I know UIC was putting alot of money into the sport with no football to contend with. And I heard the salary was going to be big. I just figure Shaun loves the warm weather and the coast versus cold NE Ohio with lots of snow.

Akron is a very simalir position expect for the latest Final 8 appearance and the fact they have gone to the NCAA tourney for the last five years. However, I belive UIC has the potential to be a UWMilwauke (no football) type of program, once Trask gets things rolling.

It's much easier to take over a program that is down since you have no where to go but up. Akron is a tough place to go, now you have to maintian the current level or you're not worthy; lots of pressure for the new Akron Head Coach.

How many coaches have ever taken a program over and continued the current level? Wisconsin, BGSU, St.Louis, Evansville (maybe not a good examlpe since they were on the decline for awhile even when Fred was there), Virginia, Stanford ( I know first year they went to Final 4 but after that Brett is realizing how hard it is to get good players though Stanford admissions, I think his a great coach), just to name a few!

24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051217/SPORTS02/512170482/1002/SPORTS

It's official as of today. There were many smiling and excited faces in the area yesterday, as word spread that Lolla was being unveiled. This is huge for this area and Southern Indiana area as the UL program needed a injection of hope. Over the past few years they've had grood recruits, they just couldn't seem to get on the same page for whatever reason. Jurich is making a name for himself as one, if not the best AD in the country. It's hard to swallow my pride and say that considering I played at a in-state rival. Mentioned earlier, the facilities are top notch and the revenue for each of UL programs was risen. Jurich's secret of recuitment of top coaches is one many would love to know. Great move for UL and the area. Sad to say, the other programs in the state will probably be passed by in a year or two. I guess the other programs need to kick it into gear.

25. ohmy

ohmy New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well said, Vann. Congrats to Jurich - he is one of the best ADs in the country
    I look forward to following Louisville in the years to come. The state's other two D1 programs -particularly the boys in blue- need to refocus and get their programs moving. UK could start by rebuilding the fan base that they have *issed off over the last several years by playing (IMO) very unattractive soccer with mediocre results.