Logo and name ideas!

Discussion in 'Milwaukee' started by futbolitico87, Aug 6, 2008.

1. futbolitico87

futbolitico87 Member

May 11, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    milwaukee fnas give me your opinion and what do you believe the team should be called??

heres is mine
    [​IMG]

the shiled is the front bow of a ship. its from youre cities flag.

2. escorpiao

escorpiao New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If you want to make more realistic kits i suggest dowloading either Adobe Photoshop(30-day free trial) or GIMP(absolutely free forever).

Then go here http://fmdiscussion.com/forums/forums.html Go to the Graphics sub-forum and register. You will find a basic tutorial and kit templates. Have fun. :)

3. futbolitico87

futbolitico87 Member

May 11, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the advice. :)

4. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007

Is there a web site for GIMP?

5. escorpiao

escorpiao New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  6. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or you can spend $1700 on the entire adobe CS4 suite :eek:

7. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    i actually like that crest a lot, also i like my idea for the split polish/german eagle, but i dont know if an ethnic team name would work in the USA. but yeah i would totally support the one you first posted. the wave wouldnt be a bad name either if the wave would just quit playing this silly indoor stuff and could switch into an mls franchise instead.

8. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    come to think of it isnt this our city's flag?

[​IMG]

9. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea of using the ship image
    I am a fan of
    United Milwaukee 1846

put the 18 on the white 46 on the red
    make 2 supporters sections
    one with red seats one with white seats
    and name them Juneautown and Kilbourntown

have the jerseys be red and white split down the middle
    make that light blue the accent color used sparingly

10. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well, I would suggest this:
    [​IMG]

It plays off of the current outdoor soccer team that is active, the Milwaukee Bavarians. Also, could not pick a better team to have an association with. Doing player development with Munich would have great rewards. Other teams do it (Colorado, Chivas, Salt Lake, etc etc), so why not take a world-wide successful brand and use it to it's advantage.

11. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    sorry, I'm just having fun with this. I added a Bavarian lion to the crest, just to make it a bit different than Munich's. It's actually the lion from the TSV 1860 Munich team.

[​IMG]

I know this is probably a dead thread, but it's fun to speculate and just to try different things.

12. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Then why not just call them the Bavarians? The last thing this league needs is another Chivas USA.

Bavarians has been bandied about on this board for quite a while, and I like it too. :)

13. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    The 1860 fans will probably put a hit out on you for that. :D

It looks good, but is too much like Chivas USA.

Sorry for practically double posting.

14. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The reason I think FC Bayern Milwaukee is preferable is that Bayern is a nod to the region and culture, not a particular city. It's a nod to the German heritage that Milwaukee supports. The Milwaukee Bavarians, with all due respect, sounds hokey and pub-league.

Eh, 1860 will forgive, I have too many relatives that are 1860 supporters. They won't hit family! :)

15. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I know that most teams name the club after when it was founded, but I wouldnt mind 1846 Milwaukee, which would be named after when the city was united.

16. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Still going off the Bayern Milwaukee theme, this is what I would do for home kits: The FC Bayern Munich kit, but in blue. Sponsor on the chest as normal. I used Miller because they seemed a likely locally based big company to put their logo on something.
    [​IMG]

I use this as an instant branding. It plays off of a few things: a) strong German heritage of the Milwaukee area; b) the strength of the Bayern Munich brand, not only in soccer, but the world; c) it's a strong look.

And yes, this is also a nod to the Bavarians Soccer Club. I guess what always bothers me is that they are not Bavarians, they are from Milwaukee. Bavarian heritage, but not really Bavarians. I know that's splitting hairs, but it's just something that bothers me. My family is from Bavaria, I'm first generation not from there, but I don't call myself Bavarian because I'm an American. Bavarian heritage and damn proud of it, but I'm not Bavarian.

Anyways, that is why I would go with something like FC Bayern Milwaukee. Nothing stopping the fans from calling them the Bavarians though. It would just be avoided in the official name. I would just rather give the nods to the obvious Bavarian heritage, without calling themselves Bavarians, as the Milwaukee Bavarians do.

Just my $0.02

17. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    I'm totally on board with FC Bayern Milwaukee, and your logo ideas are spot on. It'd be nice to bring this discussion to a more practical level, rather than simply hypothetical. If we're really interested in seeing outdoor soccer in Milwaukee anytime soon I think our best bet is trying to convince the Wave to give up on the indoor game and a league that has only four teams and convert the club into a USL First Division team. Aside from that, perhaps there is enough interest/financial backing to at least scratch together a PDL team. I noticed Kalamazoo has one and even a women's team to boot, so we should definitely be able to support one here. Perhaps then we can build from there and upgrade the team to second division, first division and then maybe MLS. It seems several other cities have been more successful promoting a USL team than building a club from scratch. And with Marquette and UWM here, a good solid roster of players shouldn't be too hard to develop. Does anyone know what the interest level is with either pressuring the Wave toward outdoor soccer or developing a new USL team?

18. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    To be honest, I dont think anyone would be on board with a nationality/heritage referance within the title of a new sports team. Even if it is soccer. You would be providing a reason for other ethnic groups to dislike the name and that would not be the way to start off a team in a city where some question its potential. I am not saying go with something that isnt original, but I think focusing on something that is unique to the city so that everyone can get on board is the best way to go.

19. milpballer12

milpballer12 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Now im just a teenager but do anyof you remember the TWO times when we had USL teams and how we couldnt support those? If the MLS were going to expand they would choose big cities. For example, Seatle who has a huge soccer community (they have 26,000 season ticket holders, thats more then 90% of MLB and NBA teams), Philidelphia and maybe in the coming years they will add one in boston? But Milwaukee isnt big enough, we dont have people like Drew Carrey who love the city so much they will build a stadium. We couldnt support an USL team why would we be able to have an MLS team when there are already bigger cities and existing USL sides? Also, ethnic teams are just SILLY. Especially in a segregated city such as Milwaukee. If any existing clubs were to have a team it would be FC Milwaukee or Bavarians. Bavarians because they have such a history, FC Milwaukee has won like 160 state championships in their 15 years running? And FC is building new fields.

20. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The point of this thread is to have fun and speculate what a team name, logo, and kit would/should look like. This thread is not about the validity of Milwaukee being an MLS city, it's to ignore that and just have fun with the idea of IF IT DID have a team. There are other threads that are for discussing the merits/shortcomings of Milwaukee in MLS.

Now, make a logo and/or kit and post it. Dream of what could be.

21. milpballer12

milpballer12 Member

Aug 17, 2008
  22. Revolution610

Revolution610 New Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Philadelphia, USA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    half red half white jerseys, red shorts. The name, Milwaukee United. And the sponsor, Miller Light, a little farfeched I know.

-REV610

23. illwauk

illwauk Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Those teams made ZERO effort to engrain themselves into the community and relied on the filler-type coverage they got from the local sports media rather than doing their own advertising assuring that only hardcore soccer heads were even aware of their existence.

Are ethnic names like Celtics, Vikings and Fightin' Irish silly? To me, it'd be silly not to somehow acknowledge Bavarians when actual tradition is such a commodity in North American soccer (at least in the top 2/3rds of it).

BTW, it's the suburbs that are segregated. Gentrification has put a huge dent in Milwaukee's divides.

24. illwauk

illwauk Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Milwaukee
    It doesn't sound any hokier than Green Bay Packers, Boston Celtics or any other name with early 20th century origins. When so many soccer clubs in America (MLS or otherwise) are creating artificial "traditions" it'd be stupid for a potential Milwaukee club not to incorporate the actual tradition that already exists in the city.

I don't have a problem with traditional/european style names in general, but FC Bayern Milwaukee doesn't make sense in the English speaking world. Would the Premier League have a team called Juventus? Would there be a team in Mexico called Manchester United? Although I will grant you that Bayern Milwaukee makes more sense than some of the names being used in MLS right now (Real Salt Lake and Chivas USA, I'm looking at you).

FWIW, if I had to run a "name the team" contest, here's the choices I'd give. Admittedly, some of them are stronger than others.

-Milwaukee FC
    [A Traditional soccer club name that lends itself to an "organic" nickname. The "FC" could also stand for "Futbol Club" to appeal to the Latino community.]

-Milwaukee United
    [Another traditional name, albeit without the potential Latino appeal. They'd also be the second "United" in the league, but no one seems to have a problem with two teams already using "FC."]

-AC Milwaukee
    [Another traditional name. "AC" is already used by a few minor league/amateur clubs, but no one in MLS.]

-Milwaukee Bavarians FC
    [The "FC" would be to distinguish it from the already existing club.]

-Milwaukee Wave FC

[Ditto above.]

-Milwaukee Neptunes
    [Neptune is the mythological ruler of the sea. Milwaukee is on a lake that it shares with its natural rival which happens to be called the Fire. Also alludes to the Wave.]

-Milwaukee Breakers
    [Another aquatic-based name that counters "Fire" and alludes to Milwaukee's location as well as the Wave. Also carries the same initials as the other Major League teams in the city.]

25. Arkose

Arkose Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AC Milwaukee really is a catchy name. Rolls off the tongue.