Local Television Partner for 2011?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Section 5, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Section 5

Section 5 Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody know if KUTV 2.2 (KMYU, previously KUSG) will be RSL's local television partner in 2011? I'm just curious if anybody had heard anything. I would love to see RSL games in HD this year, but I know that this station to this point isn't broadcast in HD. I know that most other MLS clubs have their local games broadcast in HD, so I was just curious as to what our local TV partner looked like this year.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will probably announce something next month when the league schedule comes out.

3. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    David James said this past week that he would be doing all the RSL games that were broadcast locally, because he has no conflict with doing Jazz games now. So I would guess that it will be on KMYU 2.2. No freaking way am I getting the mlstv thing this year. Last year was a joke. Every 2.2 game was blacked out, so if I was at work, I couldn't use it. So most of the games were blacked out between 2.2 and FSC.

4. Ender16

Ender16 Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't care what channel it is on, but please please please let it finally be in HD!

5. elrey

elrey Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    we are dreaming if we think its going to be in HD!

6. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    This is not true. All teams have their games taped in HD (it's required by the league), but only a few have all of their local games broadcast in HD. Hopefully this will change. I would like to see not only the RSL local broadcasts, but all of the Direct Kick broadcasts be in HD one day.

7. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    HD just means that it puts the black at the top and the bottom of my picture on my TV. ;)

8. M.O.E

M.O.E Member

Nov 26, 2009
    utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    when I was interning at ch.2 I did talk to them about brodcasting in HD and they said they were going to start doing it for the REal games but idk how true that is.

9. smackdowntay

smackdowntay Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its gotta be done. When you look at some of Real's highlights some of them look like they were filmed with an over-the-shoulder camera, it looks rechid. If you don't know what Im talking about, go look at Clint Mathis' spectacular volley off a corner vs the Revs in 09.

10. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this pisses me off so ********ing much, MLS is such a cheap organization that they have to blackout online broadcasts to paying customers. i'm surprised they are even capable of running MatchDay, there were tons of people who canceled or threatened to do so last year. whats the point of paying for a service when you cant even watch your team play for at least half the season.

lucky for me i dont live in SLC currently, but i might be moving back this summer.

11. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Which is why the league required that all games be captured in HD beginning last season so that all of the highlights would be available in HD. However broadcasting in HD is a more difficult (and costly) proposition. See my posting on this topic last season. Not sure how things have evolved since then.

12. Section 5

Section 5 Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for correcting me. I wasn't aware that the highlights shown later on in HD were tapings.

13. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Living outside the Salt Lake area, I cannot imagine giving up my MLS package to catch all RSL matches, most of which are now being telecast in HD by Direct TV.

14. CameraMonkey

CameraMonkey Member

Real Salt Lake
    Aug 1, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got an email sent to the two fellas "in-the-know" here at KUTV. When I hear something back, I'll let y'all know.

Stand by...

15. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The games will be seen (cough) on the invisible 2.2, just like they were last year.

16. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    Invisible? It's not the mtn. It's free over the air.

17. Ghoster

Ghoster Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Pleasant Groove, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yep! Aside from a few aspect ratio issues and a not so good picture, it was a pretty good setup last year. I won't complain...

18. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Invisible meaning it does nothing to help RSL in the eyes of the casual sports fan - Would much rather see the games on FSN Utah or even KJZZ. I know several MLS clubs have contracts with their local fox sports affiliate.

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its always fun to explain to people what the hell 2.2 is and how to get it...
    we really could use a better station

- some strange station is better than no station, though

20. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    KJZZ? You mean the station that runs the Joseph Smith Papers, and Scrubs? Aren't those the only two shows on that station?

21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dont they throw in an occasional friends episode and an office one here or there?

2.2 shows some of the weirdest movies I have ever seen/heard of...

22. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea, it ain't great, but KJZZ > 2.2

bottom line, this team is way too good, way too entertaining, and has way too many fans to be relegated to 2.2.

you know what I personally think it comes down to.... lack of advertising opportunity for anybody that picks up these games. That is the one downfall of the beautiful game from a television perspective (from pov of those wanting to air games). It's great for the viewer, not so great for those trying to make money off the sport.

FSC is the perfect example. They can't even afford to hire a lead play-by-play announcer for MLS games. It's embarrassing. Who would have thought I would long for the days of Max Bretos.

23. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before you get too bent about being on 2.2 because RSL has "too many fans", keep in mind that the Jazz could only manage to get on KJZZ, which is a second-rate local TV station. I know RSL has fans, but I guarantee the TV audience for Jazz games is twice as big as it would be for RSL. So if the Jazz can only manage to get on second-rate TV, it makes sense that RSL is on third-rate TV.

And yes, I know that part of the reason the Jazz were on KJZZ is because LHM owned the station, but he also owned a controlling interest in Channel 2. If the Jazz were that big of a TV draw, they would have been on 2.

24. smackdowntay

smackdowntay Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets hire Andy Gray to call the games for us.

25. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yyyyyeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!