Liverpool vs The ARSENAL, 13 January 2016

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by total_football, Jan 9, 2016.

1. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arsenal vs Liverpool
    Premier League
    Wed, Jan 13, 2016, 8pm, 3 pm EST
    Anfield, Liverpool

upload_2016-1-9_18-36-29.png
    Liverpool
    upload_2016-1-9_18-36-29.png
    Arsenal

TV-----NBCSN

No new injuries it appears from Sunderland, with Ozil and Mert given a rest. AW said Sanchez will not be ready for this game.

Liverpool are riddled with injuries, with key playmaker Coutinho out. They rested the entire squad and played a youth side in the FA cup game. They can beat the big boys, but have been struggling of late. Moreover, they will be very short of central defenders. For sure, I imagine they will try and press us and try to capitalize on the turnover ball.

In fact, our injury situation looks pretty rosy compared to them. They have been going through hamstrings at a record pace under Klopp. As a preview of their FA cup game noted, they have 13 players out:

"Seven of Jurgen Klopp's squad are now out of action with hamstring injuries, with Ibe joining Philippe Coutinho, Dejan Lovren, Daniel Sturridge, Divock Origi, Jordan Rossiter and Martin Skrtel on the treatment table.
    It also brings the overall casualty list at Anfield to an unlucky 13, notes Sky Sports, with Kolo Toure recovering from cramp (in the hamstring, naturally), Jordan Henderson, Mamadou Sakho and Jon Flanagan also sidelined and Danny Ings and Joe Gomez out for the season."

No starting central defenders, no Sturridge, no Henderson, no Coutinho.

All time, we have played 199, W 72 L 78 T 51, 263 GF 282 GA.

PL history W15 L16 T16

NorthBank repped this.
  2. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be sure to tune in at 2:59pm so you (hopefully) won't have to hear the tail end of the world's worst show tune being sung by a bunch of liverpudlean dreamers who haven't had a reason to sing since Steven Gerrard hit puberty!

3-0 to the Arsenal! COYG!!

3. oliver-94

oliver-94 Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you asked me a month or two ago, I would have been happy with a draw but considering the amount of injuries they have, we have to win this match.

4. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should win that game but still curious ( and a bit concerned ) to see how the team, particularly the MF is going to cope with Pool pressure. Make no mistake, that is Klopp's philosophy and they will be relentless. The Ramsey/Flamini duo is a bit suspect when pressured and they will need to be careful.

5. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Play like we did against City at home- let them have the ball, defend well, score on the counterattack.

A draw would be fine for me.

6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should go for the win against a depleted Pool. They would leave us the ball though and play the counter. They don't have the talent to control the game with all their injuries.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A draw?

Liverpool are missing 7 players

We should batter them.

8. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Let them have the ball. I don't see how gegen can work in England, and pool are already seeing the results on their players. Let them try and play, and when they misplay a pass release Ozil, Campbell and Walcott on them.

That being said I don't think Wenger is down to expose and abuse Kloop so it will probably be a very open game that either team will have a chance to win, and finish 2-1 to someone.

9. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Facts

10. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    I think our fans, myself included up until recently, are really suffering from PTSD. This is a different year, a different team. Stop seeing banana peels that are not there. IMHO the only ones who can beat Arsenal, are Arsenal. I don't see the self destruct button being pressed by the team as in previous years. Can Liverpool beat Arsenal? Of course but they'd need a whole lot of help from us and we're not as charitable as we once were.

This will be an easy game, if they press just outlet to Giroud their defense is trash. 3-1 or 2-0 imho

11. SaratogaGooner

Nov 23, 2009
    Clifton Park NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree. I don't see some great offensive threat from Pool. Play our game. Possess the ball. Defend well. Counter and finish our chances when they present. Chambers or Flamini? Hate to say it...Flam gets the start. Hope he avoids the yellows and reds ( he's been better of late which means he's probably overdue ). Not too nervous about this one.

12. SaratogaGooner

Nov 23, 2009
    Clifton Park NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    P.S. Love the 3pm Weekday games.....wish we had more of these. Out of the office early. Cold beer. Home by supper. Nice.

OwlSaver and cooper7d7 repped this.
  13. thedude83

thedude83 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Kansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Get the ball to Ozil in space and he'll pick their ragtag group of defenders apart. Kill

14. ogadeni

ogadeni Member

Oct 30, 2009
    San Jose, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an easy WIN without losing sleep. Even without injury pool are not in our level. Its time to do the pick.....

Bellerine===Gabi===Kos===Nacho
    =======Flamini=====Rambo===
    Theo=======Ozil=======JC===
    ==========OG=============

I wouldnt mind if Par play this one and Gabi the next one...Stocks play fast ball thus Gabi can handle Antanovich.

Score 3-1.....Theo, Ozil and OG

15. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wenger asked about David Bowie in his presser today, and he responded: "the message she gave to people of my generation after the second world war was to be strong enough to be yourself "

DaPrince84 and charlie15 repped this.
  16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

bigredfutbol repped this.
  17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to even this one up! Long overdue.

18. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Didn't know Wenger was a Rock fan, makes me wonder if he was on the ramparts in May of 1968.

19. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We should smash what is left of this Liverpool team, and that is why we won't. Between our usual complacency when we are in a good position, and Liverpool desperately needing a result to stay in the hunt for Top 4, I'm guessing this ends in a draw.

20. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, really.

I see you're resorting to unproveable platitudes to further your agenda at this point.

21. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Or you know...our actual recent history of becoming overconfident and screwing up.

22. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he had any involvement with May 68.
    By the way, he is apparently a big Bob Marley fan.

23. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you know we screw up because we're 'overconfident'?

24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Just a thought, He specifically mentioned his generation, which I'm a part of, and that triggered memories of the Student/Workers demonstrations in Paris in May of 68. The late 60s were a very interesting time to come of age. But I think you're probably right, I suspect that Arsene was to consumed by soccer at that point to have been involved.

charlie15 repped this.
  25. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We have seen years of lazy performances when the game looks like a slam dunk on paper. We have also seen the reverse - where we play beyond ourselves when we have our backs to the wall. If you look at the last five years, it's not much of a stretch to claim that complacency is a problem for us.