Liverpool vs Leeds [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by usscouse, Oct 23, 2003.

1. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    FINAL:
    Liverpool-3
    Leeds-1

2. socRmom3231

socRmom3231 New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    Southern Merryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a day. LFC won and ManU and the Yankees lost.

3. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Not particularly mate, no. One of the more apathetic away supporter groups, Leeds. Certainly nothing by comparison to United, Everton, Birmingham and Chelsea fans. But that's the early kick-off time, it ruins the atmosphere. I hate 'em. As to our singing, the chant 'There's only one Peter Risdale, the continual chants of Harry Kewell to your 'Harry Who' and the renditions of YNWA. Your response to the Peter Ridsdale one was 'Shit thing to laugh about', which I thought rather amusing. Since when did chanting have decorum and sensitivity? ;)

But having said that, all premiership stadia have a problem with atmosphere these days and will continue to get worse as the proportion of fans who remember terracing declines. Elland Road is just the same.

4. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    I wasn't able to watch the match as we didn't have any coverage here in Australia, but pleased to see we've had a good win. :)

5. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our friend Jeff Winter actually said Owen wasn't interfering with play (6 yard box, in front of goal). If he wasn't then he must be the most ineffective centre forward in the world.

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Hey, hey! I’m not ready to decline just yet. But I know what you mean, I’m not used to football matches where “Families” sit and picnic in plastic chairs.
    When the spontaneity of the crowd goes and Mum says “hush, people are looking at you” when you let a player know how you feel. Then perhaps we can get cheerleaders to let us know, when and what to shout.

But Leeds! I used to have to visit my Aunt every summer in Halifax (Shudder, that was close enough) Just when I’d start to understand what they were saying it’d be time to go on home again. My brother took a lot of stick because he’d pick up that accent…!
    That was long before it became a provence of Punjab.

7. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what happens when you are so close to Bradistan

8. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    :D That's what it's called now?! I used to go to the swimming baths there.

I do like that avitar.

9. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Liverpool haven't been on the tube here for awhile, so I feel pretty detached from everything besides the match reports and postings here. But I will say that after all of the negativity that I've given towards GH this season, I've decided to not say a single thing until we get Hamman back. Defeats nor victories mean much when a team is so decimated like we've been this season.

10. Funny thing you should mention that.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N142396031026-0707.htm

"Liverpool legend John Aldridge believes the return to action of German star Dietmar Hamann can't come quickly enough for the Reds, and believes he is vital to the team cause."

----

11. Bjornebye

Bjornebye Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Grimstad
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  12. oojason

oojason New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    England
    Cheers Stig

13. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GH's letter to the fans:

Dear Liverpool supporter,

It may have not been our best game but the three points were deserved. We created lots of chances and the game could have been over by half time. I told the boys at half time to keep it going and keep attacking. Jerzy Dudek then made a great save from Viduka which was a turning point because we got the second goal.

I spoke to the referee and he thought no-one was interfering with play. I wouldn't have been happy if it had of been the other way around and the goal was scored by Leeds. I've got to be honest and I can understand Peter Reid's frustration. Fortunately we scored the third goal.

I didn't think it was a gamble to play Michael. Michael is fine. He only trained once on Friday and it paid off because he scored. That was my intention to play him for 60 minutes. I never gamble with a player's health or fitness. Unfortunately Vladi has an achilles injury and couldn't continue, but fortunately Danny Murphy was back and Anthony Le Tallec has done really well so we have cover.

I though Florent was very exciting. He reminded me of Milan Baros when he came onto the pitch. He needs time to settle but I told him yesterday that he has stepped up a gear and was ready. He is quick, can beat players and has a good leap and is a good header of the ball. He took his goal very well.

The win is now in the past though and we must look forward to the game against Blackburn on Wednesday night.

Regards,

Gerard Houllier
    Liverpool Manager

14. FSWR ran an extended "Match of the Week" segment featuring LFC v. LUFC. Good stuff, if you can catch a replay this morning.

The Murphy goal could, perhaps, have gone either way; but I didn't see any clear evidence of interference from the Reds who had drifted in. Robinson just choked--"interference" or not.

Owen's and FSP's goals were beauties. And Diouf went close a couple of times (one early drive was an absolute rocket that Robinson did well to parry.)

----

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Pretty much how I saw it too. If the ref had signaled for a free kick, we'd just have to say, "oh well, tough luck." As he signaled for a goal, that became Leeds' line.

Normally, Robinson's performance on that play would've been the worst goalkeeping I'd see over a weekend... but with the second half of the Columbus-Chicago match, I saw more bad goalkeeping in 45 minutes than most fans see in a couple of months.

16. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That kid was really bad, wasn't he!

17. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Jeff Winter explaining to the linesman why the rules of the game don't matter if you are playing Leeds.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I had no idea the guy had professional experience. I missed the first 5 minutes of the second half, and assumed that he was a Barnburner who'd won a fantasy contest for fans.

19. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Sorry Splarg, but the rules of the game are what undid you. Winter's literal application of the 'active' principle means you lose. Strictly by the letter of the law, none of the offside players were active as the ball passed across in front of them and entered the net unimpeded by any player on the pitch.

Like others have said, we would be mightly cheesed off if the tables were reversed, but I don't think you can put it down to an overt bias against Leeds. Winter is just a shit ref.

Have you noticed how several of the papers are congratulating him on the decision because it caught that training-ground step-up out? Bit over top, all that.

20. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    My favorite part was when Keough tried to absolve him of the second goal when it deflected off his hands and into the net.

Shortly after the third goal, I left for my evening's activities and missed the other three.

21. oojason

oojason New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    England
    "My colleague correctly indicated that there were three players in an offside position," said the referee.

"Ninety-nine times out of 100 when the flag goes up you hit the whistle and give the offside. But I felt from my position - where I have a totally different view from the linesman looking across the pitch - that the ball was going to go into the net anyway.

"Those three players had not interfered with play. I went across and consulted with my colleague, asked his opinion, told him mine - and we have agreed the goal should stand.

"Had we chalked that goal off it would have been the wrong decision - and if you are not happy with the decision, my name is Uriah Rennie!"

Jeff Winter.

22. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you have to be the worst striker in the world to not be active when you are 6 yards in front of the goal when a cross comes in.

Robbo did make a hash of it, but if he didn't have to worry about the players in front of him, then i'm certain he would have gotten it. If they are taking his attention at all, then they are active

23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    By the rule you lost But any time Owen is standing in the 6 yd box he has to have some of the goalies attention. I would have been pizzed had that decision been against Dudeck.

I feel that when the rule was changed from:-
    Any time a man is behind the last defender when the ball is played forward.
    To:- Perhaps if I stand still, no-one will notice me.
    Or, I’m running off the ball so I’m not in the play and if 2 defenders come with me it’s not my fault.
    Then it’s left far too much for the likes of “Yellow Card Winters” and the ref’s little helpers to interpret. And all of them interpret differently on different days.
    (Such as a home game at Old Trafford)
    Winters has never been a Liverpool fan and that decision was just as much a surprise to us. But we’ll take it. :)

24. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    [​IMG]

:D

25. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC