Liverpool v. Newcastle [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by liverbird, Dec 18, 2005.

1. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been very critical of Morientes in the past months and it mostly had to do with the fact that he was playing mostly in the middle third of the pitch, trolling around for the odd loose ball and not making much of opportunities. Now I can see Benitez' overall vision to employ a healed up Kewell in his valuable left wing role to provide deep crosses to the far post while Morientes is withdrawn slightly, which creates a bit more space in the 18 yard box, as a defender will drift out toward the line to mark Morientes in that position. I never watched Morientes play with Real, so I don't know whether the tecnico employed him thus, but I'm beginning to suspect that Benitez has a vast array of strategies that he is in the process of implementing, some for Europe and some for the League.

I do expect Cisse to start against Everton, as his pace will be a dire challenge to the Toffee's backline, but I've given up trying to outguess the gaffer.

2. Shaolin

Shaolin New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Calgary
    I never liked Morientes when he was in Real, and I was not looking forward to him playing for the Reds.. I was even more unimpressed when I saw him miss chance after chance this season.. but I think he's starting to get into form.. I would like to see more of Cisse partner with Crouch though... I don't think Cisse's given the chance to prove himself.

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Morientes, one of the classiest players around regardless of who he played for. Great vision and a fine striker. He's begining to get the feel of the prem now (It's totally different than any other league) and linking nicely with his team mates. He has vision and gifts that Cisse will never have.
    Look at Cisse when he has to pass he looks so uncomfortable and when he learns his shots, no matter how hard, will never go through a keeper. He'll do better
    He's a good sub, he can run the legs off the oppo in the last 15 minutes.

Nando and Crouch are doing well as starters but look for Rafa to switch things up, especially with the fixtures we have.