Liverpool v. Internazionale [R] 1st Leg

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by AussieLFCfan, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan New Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Westminster
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not the greatest win in the world, but I imagine fans will take it. It lessens the pressure on Rafa a bit, sure, but there were far too many missed chances for my liking. Then again, we won, and I'm sitting on my ass in graduate school while Rafa is managing a team, so who gives a hoot what I think... Great evening all around.

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    What a fascinating match!
    It was pretty clear as to what their intent was from the start. Play in their own half, soak it up our pressure and at the right moment pass to one of their 2 strikers, who hadn't touched the ball until then to score the away gaol to take back with them.

Liverpool's job was simple, to break down one of the all time best defenses and get a couple of goals

Their defense was good as well, they played well together and covered just as well.

After the half we started to pile on more pressure by adding Finnan and Aurelio to the fire, really stretching them but they continued to hold out

I was starting to look like they were going to frustrate us for the full 90 and then came sub time and a nice change in rhythm. I was beginning to get worried in the 84th minute then the ball fell to our favourite player in the Box and Bam! 1- 0.
    I didn't feel like one was enough and was still apprehensive until Captain Fantastic pumped in that second.

2 - 0 was just the score I was hoping for. Should we for some strange reason score a goal in the San Siro, Inter would be in deep shit, they'd need 4 goals to win.

Watched 3 matches today and ours was the most entertaining by far.
    FORZA Liverpool sempre!!!

3. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    East Coast he got out at 3 so he missed the first half hour, He's a senior in high school. Not really a kid.

4. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was fun, wasn't it?

And on the cards for the ex-BlueShite, I watched those games as well and saw yellows handed out for much less in the Roma/Real match. So I will take what we got. YNWA

5. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well we got lucky.

Inter seems to go about their business clutching and grabbing those who go around them, and the ref was having none of it. Still those were harsh yellows, borderline preposterous to have shown the red.

But, alas, the breaks went our way.

Terrific vindication for Kuyt. His best game of the year. He was everywhere.

Gerrard's goal was unexpected, and brilliant that the team still pushed for the second.

Where has this team been all year? We were outplaying Inter even before the red card was shown.

Simply a terrific night for us fans.

6. Ghostface

Ghostface New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Detroit, MI
    I'm about to turn in for the night, and I'm still buzzing from the win. Holding a team of Inters calibre to 0 shots in the first half is incredible. Nobody played poorly (for us at least!), a very good performance all around, from start to finish.

Not even sure who MOTM would go to. Kuyt was everywhere, Carra and Hyypia kept Ibrahimovic completely quiet, Finnan got a handful of balls into the box, Babel really impressed in the first half, Gerrard scored one of his finest ever goals. And of course Masch... He was a monster all game. Inter would have held even less possession if some calls that should have gone Masch's way actually did.

Only real down point was the quality of the crosses and set pieces. I think we could have done considerably.

Oh and Tommy Smyth is a cunt. I was kind of excited for ESPN to be showing Euros this summer, until I realized who was commentating them.

7. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Everyone played well. Even Torres should be considered for MOTM. He caused them fits in the first half with his pace, and they were forced to resort to fouling (and getting sent off in Matterrazzi's case).

My man of the match is Mascherano. He's the best in the world at his position. He could walk into any team in Europe, and was more impressive than anyone in Inter's midfield today. His long range passing is improving each game, and now he is making some great runs forward. Its looking more and more likely that Alonso could be sent back to Spain in the summer, and I'm not sure that we would miss him.

8. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if it were not for Pennant, who provided the service for Kuijt's and Gerrard's goals, and for Kuijt for his knee knocker.

Mascherano can completely boss a midfield. fearless little guy. sort of like Makelele a while back, not that i like Makelele, mind, but you have to give him his propers.

personally, between Tevez and Mascherano, i take Javier.

9. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yes Masch is a monster. Next jersey is a toss up between him and Nando! Love 'em!

10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yet, it's in the simple inaccuracies that he's reassuring; he wasn't watching Liverpool v Inter last night.:-

11. Springbok FC

Springbok FC New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I'm sure it's all been said here already, but, oh my god, I just finished watching and just have to share the relief/joy.

Marco Materrazzi, what can I say? I cheered for him in the WC final and I cheered for him again, today ;) Quite honestly, I thought his sending off was a bit harsh, but I'll take it b/c the ref wouldn't call a hand ball on Inter no matter how blatant. For so long, it was the same old story: Liverpool dominate possession and are utterly sterile at finishing. When that French piece of crap Vieira escaped getting whistled for an obvious hand ball, I was convinced it would be a crushing 0-0. Now, can it be that we're about to do the tournament favorites again? Hell yes, Rafa knows Europe. I'm clinging to this "upbeat" feeling for as long as I can 'cause lord knows our boys have delivered their fare share of disappointments this season. Too bad we have to wait three weeks for the return leg at the San Siro. Snatching one goal away should be enough to go through.

Whoa... YNWA!!

12. Springbok FC

Springbok FC New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have to say, and I know it may be unpopular, but I think this guy's hit it. I just finished watching not 5 minutes ago and I found myself asking the same questions of Rafa, this match, as this writer did. That said, I'm just so pleased to have a 2-goal cushion heading to San Siro.

13. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    again - the 2nd yellow on Materazzi was ABSOLUTE. He had no idea where the ball was and was looking around like a buffoon. As soon as Torres sprinted for the ball - Materazzi instinctively grabbed Torres' shoulder (because that's allowed in Italy and allowed when you play for one of the best teams) and slowed him up.

It wasn't even just the ref - the linesman INSTANTANEOUSLY threw the flag up indicating that there had been a foul.

14. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    imo both cards for Materazzi were harsh. They were both fouls, the first for a trip and the second for a tug on Torres' shirt. It was clear from the opening exchanges that Materazzi was beaten for pace by a sharp Torres. He knew it as well and did what many CB's would have done when Torres got goal-side and gave a sly niggling foul on Torres (a shirt tug to steal momentum). Normally I would expect a free kick for each foul and a talking to but not both offences meriting a yellow card. Referees (at least in the Prem) are more lenient about this sort of thing and so I was surprised but not displeased to see Materazzi walk.

I can understand the Italians/Argentinian side being upset with the red card. I would be upset if one of our players got sent off for two such soft challenges. It should also be said that Inter had some fortune of their own when Vieyra clearly handled the ball in the area from Gerrard's attempted flick. The ball was not blasted into his face so he did not need to protect his face as such. A clear penalty that Vieyra was expecting to be given after he handled it.

As it was Inter were reduced to nothing as an attacking force (which I was not complaining about). Thankfully Zlatan was starved of the ball and completely isolated with Liverpool easily stifling any forward thrusts from Inter. Essentially Inter could not get or keep possession at all. I am sure Inter fans would agree that this was the worst performance their team has had for months and months. Liverpool passed very well and were dominant and threatening even before the red card.

Cordoba is likely to make the second leg and may be out for months. Materazzi will be suspended for the return leg. Inter have some amazing players but Liverpool denied them the ball yesterday with their possession and pressing. I understand that Inter will be stronger at home and will show more but Liverpool are now in a very strong position tactically. The tie is still alive but the onus is now on Inter to score twice without conceding, anything less and Liverpool are through.

15. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    torres had been fouled three times previous to the first card, so persistent infringement comes into play.

16. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
  17. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    so, we beat the italian champs, that had only lost once in their last, what, 30 games?... and we beat them 2 - 0, and still, the press can't help but take their shots at us...

everyone harps on the red card for materazzi being unfair, but no one mentions the THREE handballs in the box that weren't called...

no one mentions torres' hustle on the two calls on materazzi -- they talk about how 'he made the most of it'... no one mentions that rafa made the right subs by leaving on kuyt and putting on pennant -- they question lucas' selection instead of xabi... no one talks about how we dominated the first half hour before the red card, they talk about how the red card changed the match totally for liverpool... it did, inter completely bunkered down in their own half, making it harder for us to score, not easier...

i mean, i'm not going to let it get me down, i was just looking forward to reading through the papers and seeing some positive stuff on my beloved team, for once... bastrds...

18. Massimo_Oddo

Massimo_Oddo New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Materazzi was foolish with his 2nd booking, he shouldve known better.

Out of the 3 "handballs" i think only Vieira's shouldve been a pen. Ibra was clearly trying to get out of the way of his one and it hit him on more on the shoulder. Cordoba was on the ground, looking the wrong way when Carragher smacked the ball at his arm, ball to hand and totally unintentional.

Rafa got it spot on and definitely won the tactical battle with Mancini.

19. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    good point...

i'm not saying, though, that ibra's or cordoba's should have been called, it's just that i've seen those kind of hand balls called before, just as i've seen players get yellows for soft grabbing fouls... the point being that two calls went our way, and three calls went their way.... everyone is only talking about the soft yellows to red...

20. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Granted Benitez exploited their weakness but I saw a match over the weekend against Livorno. Then, they were very confident, passing the ball well. At Anfield, they froze, literally with very effort to go and score. Of course, against Livorno, they didn't have Materazzi (whose suspension could be a positive for them in 3 weeks), Cruz and Ibrahimovic which could be a major reason. I can understand, though, as we played absolutely rubbish in the first 3 Champions League matches. Then we had 3 more games to recover: they only have one. I doubt that they will be this bad at San Siro but they have left themselves a huge task. Ruling out nothing, of course.

21. Massimo_Oddo

Massimo_Oddo New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    I felt Mancini's decision to put Chivu at LB with Maxwell LW and Stankovic CM backfired. Why test out something like that in such an important match? I felt Crespo (great at exploiting the offside trap and has done well against Liverpool in the past) or Suazo (his pace was needed) were better options than Cruz upfront. And terrible decision to bring on Vieira and not even use his 3rd sub since his players were getting tired, being a man down.

The possesion and pressing game of Liverpool worked really well.

22. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be fair, nobody saw those two goals coming, so predictable had Liverpool been up to that point. I reckon Mancini didn't want to disrupt what was looking a good containing-job with only 5 minutes to go. His biggest mistake, I think and I am on shaky ground here as I have only seen 2 Inter matches this season, was setting out to defend for 90 minutes and hope for fortuitous break or set-piece to steal a goal. That seemed poor.

23. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Seems I can't rep you for this but thanks for posting. Funny how the memories can fool you a little over time. My excuse was, for as big as I am, I didn't always have a clear view with the mob we had standing (for the most part) on the Kop that night.

So let's see how the return goes this time around, we went in with a 2 goal lead last time.

24. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was glad that Crespo never got the chance to leave the bench. The guy has scored some huge goals against us. I also thought Suazo would be put on for Zlatan late in the game, in the hopes of catching us on the counter. Dude is fast as shit.

I can't really argue with bringing on Vieira though. He wanted to lock up shop and Vieira's defensive presence and workrate helped in that regard. Of course, he should have given us the first goal with that terrible no-call on the handball.

Inter looked absolutely out of sorts. Liverpool looked good in possession (60/40 before Materazzi got rightly sent off), but our crossing was just atrocious. There was not one decent ball put into the box from a deadball, nor from the run of play, until Pennant put in the one that was the eventual winner.

Great finish from Kuyt. His game isn't pretty, but he has been a proven, clinical finisher in the past (never in a Red shirt, however), so it's good to see him coming into form somewhat. Two goals in two games should help his confidence.

2-0 to the good heading to Milan. Not a bad position at all. Just need to score one away goal and we should be golden.