Liverpool v. Arsenal (R)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Coach_McGuirk, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
  2. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  3. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    here is my obligatory plea to put the kid Aliadiere in.. sheesh.. sorta fed up wif wiltord..... liverpool looked really exposed against charlton, however, I fully expect to see liverpool play there bunkerball.. all the men behind the ball and attempt a counter on the break.. im sure they got a proper talkin to after that debacle in London.... looks ripe for the taking IMHO.... 2-1 to the arsenal~

phishy~~

4. Montreux

Montreux New Member

May 26, 2003
    RI
    Does anyone know how long Vieira will be out? All I heard is that it was a thigh problem.

5. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    My guess is he'll be back for Chelsea and the trip to face Kiev in the CL as he has not been included in the France team for the Euro Qualifier the week after Liverpool. These kind of injuries are tricky-not severe themselves but tough to get over and easily aggravated if not handled right, so I'd hope for that scenario right now. Remember the last time we went to Anfield without Vieira we took a 2-0 lead a man down and won 2-1 and that's recognised as the day we really began our march to the Championship in 2002. Hmmmm.....

6. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    was that also the day of the 3 send offs. 2 for Arsenal and one for liverpool for the coin throwing back into the stands?

7. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    I thought he was suspended for Chelski because of the red card against ManU. Perhaps since there is a personal hearing, he is not suspended yet (?) It sounds unlikely.

8. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    You can not have a personal hearing for two yellow cards. So Vieira is suspended. If he is out for the Liverpool game the next game he could possibly be available for would be against Kiev.

9. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    negative. that was the cup tie at Highbury

10. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    All are right save for me who's wrong-he's out for Chelsea-only because the match was played that Sunday-more sense from the FA. My guess is Vieirea was banned for Saturday the FA would find a way to move the ban to when he's healthy even though ManUre let Keane have an operation before his ban so he ended never actually missing a match for his conduct. They wouldn't let Arsenal and Vieira get away with that...

11. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, I'm with the phish on the Aladiere issue. He's not gonna get any better sitting on the bench! And while I'm at it, here's MY obligitory plea for Kanu. I wanna see K25 play some, more than the last 20 minutes, too. OK, rant over. Now let me say that if 'Pool let Chalton score a hat trick on them, I think we can do much better. 4-1 to the Arsenal is my (very) optimistic prediction.

12. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    I think this match is completely unpredictible. A year ago the 'pool were the consensus pick to take our title away but now they seem like a completely different team. The thing is, they aren't, and players like Owen can make anything happen out of nothing so I won't be surprised if either team wins.

I really hope Sol can play, but I don't mind seeing Keown and Toure together as much as I thought I would. No Freddie worries me a bit more; although the Razor's been sharp lately, no Viera means the least creative Brazilian central-midfield partnership on Earth will be playing and I don't like the idea of Parlour gumming up the works even more. That's why I'd start out with Wiltord on the right wing and Aliadierie up front with Henry; if the kid can't cut it Sly can push up and Razor can come on for him.

13. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    "the least creative Brazilian central-midfield partnership on Earth "

genius.. and true~~ although Edu can mix in some beautiful passes~

**just say no to wiltord**

P

14. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm with the force, Aliadiere should be given his chance now. Although OPArsenal, I would be quite happy if Kanu didn't even make the bench. I'd go with the midfield that played in Moscow though, they looked pretty solid and with Vieira out we need that. Let Pires, Henry and whoever else plays up front (We all know it will be Wiltord, whatever your views are) play on the counter.

15. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    zero posts during or after the game?? wtf?

at any rate... great strike by pires to win it.. pure class on that one.. my man of the match woulda been diouf (but he goes down more than van nistelrooj)~ great performance in the second half despite some serious leaky and dodgy incidents between toure and campbell... nice to get aliadiere (michaec) in there as well.. did a solid job i thought for his first prem. start... great 3 points in the bag... oh and kewell looked amazing today as well... all over the pitch... my question, ,when will parlour make ONE good pass?? his touches when he is in a good position is 2nd division stuff~~

go gunners~

phishy

16. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    2-1. Outplayed for the first 50mins lucky to still be level. But the boys began to play from then on in, and consistently retained possession for the first time in the match. We were finally able to expose some the defiecies in the Liverpool defence and started to create proper opportunites.

Pires' goal was a dream, Aliadiere won the ball after some slack passing from the Liverpool defence, he played it to Edu, the ball eventually broke to Pires on the left-side of the edge of the area. He carried the ball to the centre of the D and from about 28 yards curled the ball into the top-corner. Poetry.
    And you could tell he really enjoyed that after all the criticism he has recieved for his recent poor performances and negative media attention. Even saw him making some very good tackles later on.

Aliadiere looked promising with the very little service he had. Showed lots of fight and some good balls skills, could have had a one-on-one with the goalkeeper if he hadn't been cyncially brought down by Biscan, with referee somehow not even calling a foul (the ref was terrible, blew his whistle at every opportunity).

This team has a helluva lot of fight. Most teams would have gone under with the way Liverpool were playing (this game was everything to them) but they stuck at it. Gained their composure and began to play football. Liverpool couldn't handle us at that point and apart from one corner they were never allowed to get into the game once we had scored.

Very Very Proud To Be A Gooner.

Special mentions to Toure and especially Campbell after the last few weeks he had. He looked heart-broken during the interview at the end of the match but he was a true professional out there. Toure is class.

17. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Phishy takes the biscuit. Aliadiere plays, tying the tongue of the play-by-play man. He did fairly well, but when Wiltord came on for him, he saw a lot more of the ball (though it was in a different phase of the game by then). And it was indeed 2-1 for the good guys.

Hard to believe a team can play that poorly in the first half, and that well in the second. My MOTM: Edu. Without his first half goal, we'd have been sunk.

-G. Rex

18. Azabache

Azabache Member

Nov 22, 1998
    Essex Co.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Three points bagged. AFC has played as badly as I can remember under Wenger for the past few weeks and they still rack up the points. Reminds me of ManU last season.
    Imagine when they start playing like the true Arsenal.

19. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    It's really almost frightening to think of how phenomenal this team can be if they every really turn it on. I think we've maybe seen Arsenal at about 50% efficiency so far. They crank it up to 75% even, and I don't know if they can be beaten.

20. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Good win for Arsenal.

Surely now Houillier is gone by this summer.

21. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    The first half stunk, but we got the result. That's what matters I guess. When we start hitting on all cylinders, watch out EPL.

22. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Reds looked better, but we got all the pts!

Thank goodness Sol was backed. He was AWESOME! The 1st half LFC looked very good and we were back on our heels.

2nd 1/2 we looked more aggressive. I still think we should change the 02 to a bullseye...16 fouls to 5 in the 1st half!

Aliadiere played ok. He's new and young. But nice to see Wiltord come in a contribute.

Pires...WHERE have been? Nice to see him shine when we were desperate for scoring.

Henry was double teamed most of the most.

Not pretty...but we'll take it. Still top of the table and we STILL are overachieving, IMHO, and haven't even played our best football.

Lots of drama in this one, The Arsenal never cease to amaze me.

23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to get 3 points at Anfield especially without PV4 and Ljunberg. Sol looked good for the most part in his first game back. Pires' strike was top notch. Henry never ceases to amaze. Even being double teamed, I was thrilled with his tracking back and making those long time killing runs at the end. Pure class. On a somewhat less positive note, does anyone else think that Cole looked pretty dodgy defensively out there today?

24. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Today was great. Met Goonerrooni and we had a blast. The only Liverpool support at the place was the waiter. Pires' goal was brillient. Why bend it like beckham when you've got pires.

The Celtic supporters were yelling at every little thing. They might have outnumbered us 25-5, but when Arsenal scored and at the final whistle, they heard us.

Got an Arsenal flag and it was hung up during th manure scum game where all could see. :D

Oh yeah go get "The laughing gooner", its smashing. :)

25. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    My feed- both audio and video- was horrible throughout the first half but I got the impression that we were lucky to be tied at the break. The reception and the players were both much stronger in the second half. That was a great performance; the weakend squad weathered the storm and eventually made the match their own.