Liverpool to launch new UK TV channel in partnership with Setana

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Ed Ennui, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Ed Ennui

Ed Ennui Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 18, 2006
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Via Liverpoolfc.tv

Rick Parry today looked forward to the launch of LFC TV and declared: "The channel heralds a new era for Liverpool Football Club."
    As revealed on liverpoolfc.tv this morning, the Reds have signed a three year deal with Setanta Sports for the launch of the club's own dedicated TV channel which will be available at no extra cost to subscribers of the nine channel Setanta Sports pack.

What's On LFC TV and When

# All Liverpool FC matches in the English Premier League and UEFA Champions League (not live)

# At least six hours of original programming content per day, five days a week, fifty two weeks per year

# Daily news round-up with all the latest from Anfield and Melwood

# Exclusive interviews with the manager, coaching staff and current players

# Classic matches from Liverpool's illustrious past

# No less than 50% of all friendlies involving the Liverpool football team on a live and exclusive basis

# Live studio discussions with former Liverpool stars, supporters, celebrity fans and football experts

Sounds like it will be modeled somewhat after the Yankee channel YES. I wonder if Setanta subscribers in North America will see any of this programming?

2. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Re: Liverpool to launch new TV channel in partnership with Setana

What does this mean for LFC fans in the US?

It appears in GB there are several Setanta channels. In the US there is only one. Will LFC TV become part of the one channel available in the US to DirecTV customers?

3. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California

MOD: Please change thread title to read:

"... new UK TV channel.... "

:rolleyes:

4. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California

Most Premiership clubs already have a 24/7 channel on their local cable TV system - ManU, Chelsea, Arsenal, even Middlesbrough have their own TV channels.

It's unclear from the press release whether this simply means that Liverpool are now catching up with everyone else, or if it just means a deal for Setanta to bundle the Liverpool TV channel in their UK-wide package of Premiership matches and so forth.

Currently, in the USA, GolTV airs a weekly 3 hour show from Liverpool TV and one from Arsenal TV. Setanta Sports USA airs similar shows from ManU TV and Chelsea TV.

5. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

This is what I am driving at. Liverpool TV is on Gol currently, but with the signing of this deal with Setanta, I would expect Setanta would want the 3 hour show, or a reasonable facsimile thereof, to go from Gol to Setanta USA. Any word on that?

6. Ed Ennui

Ed Ennui Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 18, 2006
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing about the North America implications in the PR released Tuesday, but that is going to be a lot of programming that will be produced and I would think at least some of it will show up on Setanta's North American channel.

7. Mets1989

Mets1989 New Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Glendale, Queens
    I emailed Setanta Sports about Liverpool TV

8. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Although the channel is only available in the UK, we are already seeing the partnership carry over to the US in that Setanta's coverage of LFC pre-season games have been on the US station, and more are slated. With that said, we are also reaping the negative products of this relationship. The game against Auxerre today was brutal in terms of the quality of announcing. I always liked Ian Crocker when he was doing EPL games (for Sky and broadcast in the US via FSC) but he was pathetic yesterda. Every time Auxerre had the ball he was totally silent, as if he did not know a single player on their team. I think he said three things total about Auxerre: Guy Roux went to Liverpool to study their training sessions, Jacques Santini took over when Roux left, and two of Auxerre's best players have come to the EPL during the off season. Now, I am a Liverpool fan but still I want to hear announcers cover a game. That's not what was happening today (and the game against Bremen wasn't much better). Setanta should be embarrassed by this. Take care.