Liverpool looking for keep....possible AMERICAN KEEP?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by GCSOCCER19, Sep 18, 2003.

1. GCSOCCER19

GCSOCCER19 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    North Carolina
    Just read on planetfootball.com that liverpool might be looking to make a move to pick up a new keeper with a long term injury taking there main back up out for the rest of the season and Jerzy Dudek the polish wonder being the only real keeper they have rostered....special permission can be granted in situations to sign injury "replacement" players...

if this happens...any thoughts on good american keepers that could make a good impact and do well at Anfield???

2. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Any American keepers (other than Friedel, Keller, Howard and even Hanehman sp?) that would qualify for a work permit???

I think its unlikely anymore American keepers will go to the Premiership...

3. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Tony Meola may be able qualify on appeal. Though he has not been capped a ton recently, but with as many caps as he has earned and his participation in however many world cups it has been - he is an established International-Quality keeper. Mostly I am just being mischevious by suggesting him, though.

Adin Brown is certainly Premiership quality and Kevin Hartman isn't much behind, but they would never qualify for work permits, of course.

Pat Onsted - if he were not aged - would be an interesting guy to take a flyer on for a short-term backup. He would probably qualify, although I don't remember if Canada is in the top 75 national teams on the FIFA list.

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    http://www.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=164016&cpid=8&title=Reds+may+make+keeper+move

Here's the actual link. There's no mention that GH is looking at American goalkeepers, largely for reasons everyone's already mentioned.

So there won't be any American goalkeepers at Anfield this season. Except of course when Spurs, Rovers, and Merchandise United come to town.

5. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He has Italian passport.

6. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonny Walker isn't he scotch, ahhh scot ?

7. GCSOCCER19

GCSOCCER19 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    North Carolina
    OOps....

Oops, sorry if the title was misleading to the fact that somebody thought they were pursuing a ameri-keeper, just meant to say what american keepers would be a possibility to fill the role....

8. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He also, sadly, has very poor reputation after a spectacularly mediocre spell in England a few years back.

9. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Canada is part of the British Commonwealth, so I don't believe Onstad would need a work permit. He's too old to be taken up by a EPL side at this point in his career, however.

Maybe another Yank keeper already in Europe such as Joe Cannon or Matt Jordan? What's Ian Feuer up to these days?

10. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    8 years back. That's a long ass time ago.

11. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I don't think being part of the British Commonwealth qualifies one for a UK work permit.

12. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    What country is Denver in again?

13. dolphinscoach

dolphinscoach Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Bellevue, NE
    Marcus Hahneman? Shouldn't be any work permit issues, and he was only a game or two shy of being EPL for this season.

14. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    While there might be someone under the radar who has an EU passport (a la David Yelldell, who I hadn't heard much about here or anywhere and who just went to Blackburn to be their third-string keeper), I don't think there'd be anyone we don't know about who would be a second-string keeper. Teams aren't going to bother with a non-EU player as a backup, so it'd have to be an American with EU citizenship.

15. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    No disagreement here, but he does play much better when he is not freakin'.

16. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    well to go from being a keeper who looked at best average in Div 2 to being a world class keeper in 8 years is some achievement.

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i won't be satisifed until every EPL side has an american keeper :D

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, Segroves, he's plenty good enough to be an EPL backup. Jeff Cassar and Ian Feuer were EPL backups.
    Why not?

19. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Besides not being able to stop PK's, what about Zach Thorton, he's still on the younger side of his career?

20. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    if Ian Feuer was a top keeper he wouldn't have had a downward slide through the divisions to non-league football. A resume reading Rushden, Peterborough, Luton, West Ham could be impressive, but one reading West Ham, Luton, Peterborough, Rushden, isn't. Having played a handful of games in the EPL is no guarantee of quality. Loads of players show promise in the early part of their careers, but never live up to their potential. The EPL in the early 90s was a very different beast to what it is now.

I'd never previously heard of Jeff Cassar, but all I could find were details of him twice making the bench at Bolton and being rejected by Div Ipswich. I'm prepared to admit my knowledge of him as a player is incredibly limited, but at first glance he doesn't exactly sound a serious candidate for a team looking to push for a champions league place.

21. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly because you have to play in a certain percent of the clubs matches to have your work permit renewed. That would be the best inference I could make. There was something about this with JMM right after Japorea.