Liverpool FC vs Real Madrid - CL FINAL - May 28 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, May 22, 2022.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    [​IMG]vs [​IMG]

20:00 Sat 28th May 2022

newterp repped this.
  2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  3. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going with Matip over Konate.

Diaz - Mane - Salah

Keita - Henderson - (Fabinho)?

Wingtips1 repped this.
  4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We've definitely looked like a team who has played over 60 matches lately. I'm worried.

augie, usscouse and EruditeHobo repped this.
  5. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Injury wise, questions to be answered about Thiago, VVD, Fabinho and it does look like Origi is out.

6. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #6 Suss, May 23, 2022
    Last edited: May 23, 2022
    Paul Joyce says that Thiago suffered an Achilles injury. It is not serious, but him and Fabinho have a race against time to be fit for Saturday. That news is more hopeful than I expected. At the same time it is a little more concerning than expected in regards to Fabinho.

All this uncertainty makes me nervous. However, behind the scenes they probably have a clear idea about who will start, and this makes it harder for Madrid to prepare.

7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good - Fabinho's was always going to be the full time to recover. Klopp said he will join training with the team starting today.

No doubt for that both these players are available in some form.

Frikken last time we played Madrid in the final we were running a thread bare squad too. Had to put in an unfit Emre Can and Adam Lallana.

Suss repped this.
  8. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This is a a million times better than in 2018. We have 5 world class forwards we can throw at them. We have perfectly good backup options in midfield in Curtis Jones and James Milner. We have Alisson Becker in goal instead of Karius. And we have 5 subs to deal with any problems. Plus for many of our players, this is their 3rd Champions League final. Even Real Madrid can’t say that they have more experience.

9. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

It's a reason I want Joel to start - it's a massive massive occasion - one that he has started in and won. Plus - he's one of the top 5 CBs in the PL. His passing and dribbling ability will be a major plus.

soccershaggy and Suss repped this.
  10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    counter-argument is we need Konate's pace to take care of Vini. every team in the world targets the area behind Trent, and RM have the forward who can really make that pay off. I love Matip to bits and it would be awful to see him sit this out but I'd go with Ibou and I think Klopp will too.

11. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 newterp, May 23, 2022
    Last edited: May 23, 2022
    I don't think need his pace to stop one player (especially given the Matip isn't super slow) - we need the midfield to win battles up the field and cut down the supply line. I think yesterday's game against Wolves may give Klopp something to think about as Ibou had a terrible game. Also, not sure Vinicius is the one player you set up your team to stop - it's Benzema and Modric first.

12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Already struggling to get work done this week.

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After that last day in the league, really need this win to come through. I think it's going to be tough, but I'm calling a 2-1 win for the good guys in this one.

Will report back with pics... from a WIN!

Wingtips1, bayred and newterp repped this.
  14. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I’m sure the players were gutted to miss out on the league, but for most of them the Champions League is the ultimate prize.

Yesterday, Tottenham celebrated finishing fourth in the league. It’s an important achievement because their players want to play in the Champions League. Our story began last season. In one of the most miserable seasons we had supporting in he club, we still ended up with some memorable and important moments. There was the win at Old Trafford, Alisson’s goal, and Nat Phillips and Rhys Williams getting us over the line with bloody heads.

Our players celebrated that Alisson goal like mad. Not just because it was glorious, not just because Champions League football is crucial to the club's finances, and not just because all of these players wanted to play in the Champions League next season. These players knew that they didn't just belong in the Champions League. They belonged in the final of the Champions League. It is incredible that the story is going end in Paris with a chance to avenge their loss to Real Madrid. Many people wrote these players off after they lost their 6th game in a row at an empty Anfield. Those players had to endure those low moments so that they can get back to this moment playing in the world's biggest game on the biggest stage of them all. I think we are going to see them at their very best on Saturday.

Navieko, augie, Wingtips1 and 1 other person repped this.
  15. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this season we went undefeated at home - no less.

usscouse repped this.
  16. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I hope you guys win next Saturday but I feel I must also give you a heads-up.

Since the European Cup was rebranded as the Champions League, Real Madrid have never lost a Final, so that's a massive hurdle you have to overcome.

17. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's true - but we are a different team than when they last played us. We also were suffering the disappointment of losing the league by a point - and then beat Spurs. Ideally the same result.

Wingtips1, EruditeHobo and BVBFNM repped this.
  18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO Madrid should have lost at least one...

Not to Liverpool, necessarily... even though with Mo healthy they may well lose that one too. But that Sergio Ramos prayer header at the death was a game in which Atletico were the better team. So holding up an undefeated record with those kinds of fine margins is somewhat meaningless to me.

Either way, I know with LFC's midfield injuries right now, and with Vini & Benz and the level they can get to playing off each other, this is a tough match. It's the toughest match Liverpool have played in Europe all season, and one of their toughest of this entire vast campaign, right up there with the City matches. They are a very good side, and it's never smart to overlook Ancelotti, that crafty old ********, in Europe.

But this Liverpool side are one of the toughest matches in the world for Madrid too -- LFC's press and width, that can get at an win the battle against that midfield. They can be got at. The side that wins in midfield will win. So may the best team win, I say.

My money's on Liverpool for this one.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  19. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing to note is the Kroos has been bang average all season and even worse in Europe. There is some weird hierarchy at Madrid that allows him to start regardless and then be replaced by Camavinga later on in the game.

That's a positive for us.

I think Keita is primed for a great game too. He will have lots of time and space from the Madrid midfield.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  20. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Score early and often then watch for Madrid and Benzema in the last 20 minutes…

…and that’s all I have to say about that.

21. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I hope Thiago is ready to go on Sat.

VVD was on the bench yesterday, so he should be fine nest Sat.

22. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    About Wednesday I will begin playing "Fearless"...

LiverpoolFanatic and newterp repped this.
  23. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    "One More Win"

Come on boys - get 'er done!

:D

zaqualung and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  24. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 more sleeps!

Red Bird repped this.
  25. Red Bird