Liverpool FC vs Chelsea - EPL - Aug 28 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Aug 22, 2021.

1. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Oh forget to mention that Virg looks like he's never been gone. So much for the big battle with Lukaku :)

bayred, soccershaggy, B.A. and 1 other person repped this.
  2. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He does not seemed overwhelmed and out of his element.

exciting times ahead.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  3. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  4. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have put Thiago in early in 2nd too… think Klopp didn’t quite get the subs right this time. Bobby forced his hand somewhat, but still.

5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    would have started with Jota and Keita in any case. I liked the rhythm we had with them. I guess Harvey is showing things in training too so that’s Klopps reward to him.

6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I made the point upthread that I expected Jota to start over Bobby and I was a little surprised to see it the other way around. I wonder now if that wasn’t the groundwork for Plan B.

Bobby would drag their defenders hither and yon, battering them as a broadsword and then at the 60 minute mark have the stiletto of Jota come in and exploit all that work. As it turns out with the red card, that would have been an ideal strategy, but Firmino had already exited the stage when James was dumped out.

So Jota came on too early before Firmino’s task was complete and as a result at the 60 minute mark, there was no Jota B.

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    didn't you see the bits where Lukaku beat Virgil for speed over and over? and the times when he physically dominated both him and Matip?

me neither ..... :)

bayred and soccershaggy repped this.
  8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    very disappointing not to get the win, but last season we got zero points from these last 2 fixtures. this year, 4.

looking good so far.

just a shame Chelsea's won the league already. :oops:

Red Bird and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Salah has scored 14 consecutive penalties in the Premier League, a tally only Matt Le Tissier can beat having scored 23 in a row between 1994 and 2000

B.A. repped this.
  10. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This was a huge match between two title contenders. It’s was a chance for one team to make a statement in the title. At the end of the day, not much has changed. Liverpool and Chelsea are both still title contenders and both sit one point ahead of City. We thought this match would tell us a lot about both sides, but after the red card we didn’t really get to learn much of anything.

As Klopp said, playing against 10 men didn’t make it any easier to score. They had the same amount of men defending, they just had one less player on the counter attacks. Our play in the 2nd half was frustrating and disappointing, especially on the left side. You have to give Chelsea a lot of credit. They played very well.

Red Bird and SamScouse repped this.
  11. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #136 Red Bird, Aug 29, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    I think we reacted too late to poor individual performances such as frequently losing possession. Understandably, players are rusty and short of match sharpness but proactive substitutions are Klopp’s Achilles heel. That said, Chelsea is fine side, a genuine title contender.

By the way, we’re only 3 matches into the season. Remember the dark days of the hodgepodge? Do spare a thought for Arsenal fans.

Suss repped this.
  12. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    I kept looking for the new lethal Lukaku. Seemed like the same old cart horse to me.

newterp and soccershaggy repped this.
  13. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    What would you have done differently with the subs? I think it’s a tough call. Jota for Mane could have been the sub if we weren’t forced to bring him on earlier. Bringing on Thiago for Henderson made sense. Not sure what else he could have done. I was happy to see Elliott stay on.

In hindsight maybe Tsmikas should have started as Robertson didn’t look sharp but I wouldn’t have said that before the game.

soccershaggy repped this.
  14. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    James Pearce has been tweeting re our attack.

Klopp needs to question whether Liverpool really have sufficient firepower for the challenges ahead. Minamino and Oxlade-Chamberlain left on the bench. Origi not in the squad. It feels like #LFC are still an attacker light for the challenges ahead.

soccershaggy repped this.
  15. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I Definitely the bold part but once he’d selected him, I’d probably have stuck with him. Mané and Henderson were well below par, the latter understandably rusty, with their inability to look after the ball being the reason we were conceding chances.

I’d probably have shifted Elliott to the left (for Mané) and brought Keita into midfield. However, Klopp is not that radical and we’ll have to take the smooth with the rough.

Suss repped this.
  16. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Not as much as one would like, but we did oipen them up a couple of times. Trent played a too quick ball back from the dea-line when he could have tried to hang on and pick someone, and Salah did another one of his "the toes on my right foot hurt, so I won;t hit the ball very hard" things....

let's be dead serious, if that's on his left, that's a 99 times out of 100 goal.

17. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Utter rubbish. We did not score all that many goals in many of the games that started our great run two years ago...

overthingkng it, this guy is. (What if hendo, and the otherwse brilliant Harvey Elliot had scored those chances yeaterday...?

18. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Yeah - kind of agree with this - th eone thing I think that was a mistake was not bringing on Thiago either at Half-time or ten-15 into the half. he would most likely(I think) have unpicked that lock.... but you have to give him enough time....

19. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

He's fantastic. A 50M player we *bought* from Santa Claus to replace Georgino W ...
    (though no-one in the media is recognizing this - yet!)
    ;)

just a pity his one bogus moment int he game was to shank a shot that would have made him a hero....

20. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Yeah - Thiago in earlier in this one and we win it, I think ....

21. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's why they should change the rule and give referees some latitude in that situation.
    Suarez in the World Cup - yes - that's deliberate. Not a doubt. But this one - it would probably have hit his arm unless he lifted his hand up over his head while he was thigh controlling the ball ....
    silly rule, really......

22. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

why people care about such drooling morons on the internet always gets me??

It's the internet, ffs ....
    A random anonymous space among humans.
    Humans - you know - those entities that allow unnecessary famines and genocides, etc .... What the hell do you expect but we get some half-aborted, escaped from the slop-bucket foetus like this thing popping up every now and then ....
    But why care?? I wouldn;t waste piss steam on such a creature (excpet to talk to you in a tertiary frame regarding him)
    Just fvcking ignore him, and join the rest of the humans in the catchment area of his sad pointless ranting life......

Red Bird repped this.
  23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I know - he was supposed to live to 67!!! ;)

24. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Or he could ask himself if he could have tweaked the team to respond to Chelsea's bunkering down.

25. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I saw Matip shrug him off the actual pitch one time late on .... does that count?
    ;)