Liverpool FC vs Atletico Madrid - CL - Mar 11 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Mar 8, 2020.

1. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah - I agree. Was too dulled spiritually to log on to post anything yesterday.
    But that Game should have been done in the 90 minutes. Athletico were outplayed and outmuscled for the 90, but the stupid net didn't get moved by the ball.
    I really despise that creep Diego Simeone and wish we had gone at them a bit like that in the first game.... He looked like he thought it was over and done when Firmino scored too..... If we hadn't been in our slump at that time of the first leg then last night wouldn;t have been an issue.

Normally I'd wish a team that had beaten us well, but not this nunch of rolling around play-actors....
    Grrrrrr....

2. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Where do you get the underlined bit out of? The team that dominated last night did not win. The team that dominated the 1974 world cup did not win. The team that dominated the 2001 FA Cup final did not win. The team that dominated the 1999 Champions League Final did not win. That's also football.

It's all very well, the defensive tendency team argument, except that (in this case)if we had played the same way for 180 minutes as from minute 91-thru-180 we would not have the same psychological feeling of having lost due to a very bad performance and a very good performance not evening out for us as one might expect... And if Allison Becker isn't injured and we don't lose, are we then suddenly the team that dominated again?

3. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what? Don’t be a dumbass. He had a great game.

4. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    A little harsh. Sometimes shooting too early is what kills your best chance of putting it away. But also, and ultimately though, I don't feel like they should get the credit for this when it was our lack-lustre performance for the first 90 minutes of 210 that caused this disaster. Not their forcing of a game plan for 210....

5. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    One thing about our attack is that it isn't as well suited too getting through Athletico Madrid hunkered down underneath a battering ram as either Man City or Bayern Munich will be. (Aguero and Lewandowski will be less forgiving just for starters.) So, even though dominating, we couldn't get that extra half second......
    Personally, I'd like to see mane take the ball with his back to goal and turn rather han attempt that second overhead kick. That would have caused them more issues.... More of that in general would help when the box is packed.

Yeah - that was a terrible decision not to launch that ball into the air. Why the fvck I thought, and then it was being shot into the back of the net. If he doesn't do that I think we win that game.

6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

My final word - it makes you wonder what they would have said had Robertson's header been three inches lower and gone in off the bar. And that was the only difference in the whole game? Their juvenile analysis is farcical.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He had the two best chances to score. One of the last guys you would want them to fall to if not the front three .... is probably what he means.....

8. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Qué?

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #184 zaqualung, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    Nope. It's not. I was a striker and scored a lot of goals running, but (at a relative level obviously) I can tell you that you miss more when unbalanced and weaving.
    Messi scores that 4 out of 5 times. Everyone else I'd say is on 2 from 5. Aguero is maybe on 3 but going the other way (not on his left)!.

(Aside): If Salah has a major flaw, it's not seeming to want to shoot low with power in those kinds of situations. Maybe its to do with the natural angle of his foot when he strikes the ball or something. In my opinion, shooting low(ish) allows for getting it done just a bit quicker (with the ball travelling faster to goal) in those situations....

10. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just him being dumb again. He’s made that stupid claim about Robertson last season and he’s hell bent on sticking with it as nauseum regardless of the contrary evidence.

speker repped this.
  11. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Look at this again at 1.22. For once Athletico are caught napping in the sense that no-one is close to close down Sadio. If Salah's pass to him isn't played (it's with the outside of the foot so it might have been the only way Salah could do it) exactly straight into his standing position, where he can't swing at it, but with a foot or two more to swing at (the defence was 5 or 6 feet away.) If that, he likely buries that in my opinion.

12. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Been very ill since Tuesday night and really hoped Wednesday's game was a fever dream. Alas, it happened. 2020 sucks so far.

I also see the cockroaches have come out of the woodwork to lecture us on how to grieve a loss. Wake me up when we win the league.

newterp repped this.
  13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    btw/ so - it annoys you. Lots of things annoy me, but that doesn;t mean that I am always right..... In this case your over the top reactive criticism to us fans here saying we prob should have won the tie as the better team isn't warranted.

speker repped this.
  14. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    The most telling statistic for me was that in 2 and 1/3 games of football, 210 minutes plus injury time, we scored 2 goals.

15. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'll agree with that...being a former GK, I admittedly have a soft spot for Adrian, but I get tired of hearing all the blame heaped on his poor clearance. Sure, he made a mistake, but who didn't?

Why not blame Andy Robertson for not scoring the header that hit the crossbar in front of an open goal? Or the miriad of chances that Salah, Bobby and Mane "missed"...another goal in regulation would have iced the game and we'd be on the party bus...

Many have said this game should of been "done and dusted" in the 90 minutes, "we should have scored three or four"...why does all the blame go back to Adrian's mistake and we overlook all the others?

Truthfully, I am more upset with the shots that missed the target completely than the one clearance that Adrian made that led to their goal. 34 shots, only 11 on target - and only two goals from those 11 shots? (and that is just in the second leg...how many did we miss in Madrid?)

It's looking more and more like it won't matter anyway...as the remainder of the CL may get cancelled due to the C-19 virus...ah well...:cool:

Wingtips1 repped this.
  16. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And that should be the end of the story,

CB-West repped this.
  18. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    CB-West repped this.
  19. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Except that it wasn't a clearance or (more importantly) an attempted clearance. It was an attempted pass where it should have been a clearance. Ederson got fvcked the same way last week...... Guardiola tells City to try that always. Do we??

20. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LorneMarvello repped this.
  21. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    most people know this and I’m glad some journalists are highlighting it - but there’s not much point in rehashing it. Even though it was luck - they still won so not much we can do. I do agree with the premise that calling Simeone a genius for playing super defensively and having Adrian screw us is just wrong.

22. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    that's the nub of my opinion also .....

23. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That dude had a rough childhood.

24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It wasn't so bad - he's old - he grew up in Berlin in the Weimar republic....

25. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I have a friend who is a big Chelsea fan (he's Ethiopian, so I give him a pass - it is after all , the cradle of civilization, so I figure I owe him one....) but he has asked me a few times, why do I despise Diego Costa so much ----

we;;. it's not really us, it's him ....
    (from an article)

Re Llorente --
    He did, though, come on for Diego Costa, who left the pitch shaking his head and angrily booting a bag and left the stadium pretending to cough as he passed packs of journalists. If Costa thought it was funny, no one else did, drawing only reprobation in Spain. Much like his performance on the pitch in fact. That “joke”, and most here did put that in speech marks, was virtually Costa’s only contribution. Llorente’s was greater than anyone could have ever imagined. He scored two, then provided the pass for Álvaro Morata to get the third.
    that's basically it.

(back to why)
    I used to hate Drogba and lamps and the rest of them - but it was because Chelsea were good and gone past my team, but I always had a grudging respect for those great players they had (John Terry aside maybe!) who were just like most of our guys (decent human beings with great sporting hearts) ---
    this could never be said about the spirit that resides inside the ugly mug that is Diego Costa