Liverpool FC vs Atletico Madrid - CL - Mar 11 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Mar 8, 2020.

1. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When it comes down to whose fans know how to whistle - definitely.

2. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    After doing all that good work he absolutely wasted what should have been a goal and the win for us. The same as a brain fart from a goal keeper, this kind of sloppiness / error causes losses.

3. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    1000x yes!

Watching here in the US, the way Edu/Howard/Stewy were talking, you'd think we'd been shut out over the two legs. A Simeone masterclass? Really? Klopp schemed a way to break them down and it worked repeatedly (AOC running from deep into space) but we were profligate in front of goal. We should have won by 3 or 4 today.

4. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If it wasn't for real we'd have won back-to-back CL titles. What's your point?

5. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Ugh, seriously you guys were not the better side. It was 50-50. And you say that Klopp found a way to break them down? Well why did it not work? Yes I know you guys had many chances and missed them, but you can literally say that about any game that's being played. Many of those missed chances are not as easy as you think. And Simeone masterclass, I mean the defense did what they needed to do and were quick to clear.

Yes I agree Atletico were lucky, but still. You cannot say that you destroyed them when you lost, makes no sense. I do agree for longer parts of the game you might have been the better side, but they had their fair share of spells as well. It was really 50-50. Not to mention a few chances they missed as well. They didn't have nearly as many but did miss some easy chances too.

6. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bless. It wasn’t 50-50 at all. Still, Atletico deserved to go through simply by ustilising its chances, gifted or not. And Oblak was awesome on the night— vastly superior to Adrian which was to be expected.

Could have been 3/4 nil by the end of the 90 minutes and, just when you thougt, it was done, a goal-keeping error. But we've always known that Adrian wasn't top level. Not his fault.

Best wishes to Atletico.

B.A., Wingtips1 and LorneMarvello repped this.
  7. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Three things are playing in my mind on loop:

The Robbo miss my a few millimeters.

The Salah attempt when he ought to have found the top right corner after all that hard work in the first place.

The Adrian gaffe.

Not the best feeling in the World,but we gave a cracking account of ourselves till into ET and Klopp was right when he said for the last 2 years we've literally been spoilt having party after party in Europe and the bad luck was due.

Our Midfield and attack got all the credit when we got out of Jail against Barca,but the real MOTM that evening was Allison.He was a Colossus at the back almost taking it upon himself to deny the Barca fwd line singlehandedly in a game of the highest magnitude.Before the match started I had this queasy feeling that Adrian was going to cost us especially with no margin for error and simply because he's no Allison in commanding the box.

People can downplay our achievements this Season all they want but the fact of the matter is we played like Champions yday and thats all we can ask for.Not winning the CL in Kiev,pushed us to do so in Madrid.Not winning the Treble this Season,will spur us on to do right these wrongs in the coming Season and one thing we know under Klopp,We'll Strike Back.

One Hundred Percent.

YNWA.

8. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yep- and we're not going to have a World Class backup either- because they wouldn't come nor stay to be a back up.

Basically comes down to Allison getting injured again, and that's that.

I'm all for noting when someone's error cost us the game, but calling for their sacking instantly, doesn't sit well with me. (not you- some others in here) What happened to YNWA? ;)

delaynomo and Red Bird repped this.
  9. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ignore this anti epl scumbag lads he is laughed at by other fans including real Italian fans in the Europe forum. To say it was 5050 this idiot needs to go get his eyes checked,

what easy chances did Atletico miss? You are a liar and have been banned with numerous accounts.

This guy real is a tossa, ban him from the forum

10. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #160 newterp, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    But we did break them down to the point we were leading the tie in extra time 2-1. This on the heels of destroying them in the 90 minutes preceding where - as you admit - they got lucky. Atletico didn't have any spell that meant anything. In regular time they had 1 (maybe zero) shots on goal? The xG was 3.79 to 1.14 or something ludicrous like that. Stop pretending we didn't destroy them. But for the Adrian gaffe - we are going through. I haven't seen a more toothless team at Anfield in those 90 minutes. If it makes it clearer - let's call it from the statistical sense. (We put two past Atletico and had 34 shots, 11 on target, hit the woodwork twice and had 7 blocked)

I will keep saying this - sometimes this happens in sports. The better team doesn't win. Last night the better team did not win and advance. But the team that scored more goals did which I have no problem admitting.

Also where did fallacy start that if you lose, you can't be considered the better team? For example, no one on earth considers(ed) us the better team compared to AC Milan in 2005.

11. KING HUGO SANCHEZ

Jan 8, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  12. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    "We destroyed the team that beat us twice" :D

Unbelievable. Priceless. I thought Ajax were the sorest losers in Europe. Guess I was wrong.

Halycon repped this.
  13. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sigh ... I guess we have to listen to the preachy visitors once more.

14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only are you wrong, you’re a dick as well.

soccershaggy and LorneMarvello repped this.
  15. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    It's not my intention to troll. I just can't take this bullshit anymore. Remember when Barça would brag about possession after losing? Well, this is what teams are doing now with the "we dominated" crap.

Some RM posters do it all the time when we lose and it annoys me.

- Well we kept passing around their box and had 40 crosses and our attackers hit the bar and we made a mistake, totally dominated the winning team"

SCREW THAT! Football is about being deadly, efficient and LUCKY. Possession and domination mean nothing, it doesn't make the losing team better than the winning team. It's arrogant and oozes saltiness.

16. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    why cant scum like hector be banned, he is scum after all

17. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lol Some?

NO! most of You madrista's are like that.

The better team lost the only hope atletico had was our idiot spanish backup keeper, and they got it.

18. soccershaggy

soccershaggy Member+

May 18, 2003
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    No we don't- if they are trolling, kick them out.

19. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Or, Just ignore them...

speker repped this.
  20. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Watford and Bournemouth carried a greater attacking threat against us than Atletico.

They are crap and we have only ourselves to blame.

delaynomo repped this.
  21. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nope it was probably about 75:25.

But sometimes the 25% probability wins. That's life.

B.A., LorneMarvello, newterp and 2 others repped this.
  22. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Those comments are never going to disappear. Because it's true. Not always, but sometimes in a two horse race the better team doesn't always win.

We've all seen games where the better team has 80% possession, 25 shots on target but they are all saved/blocked including the GK making 10 outstanding saves that would be goals 75% of the time. At the other end, the "weaker team" has one shot on target all game from their only corner and score by some weird deflection. Shit happens!

speker repped this.
  23. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes indeed.

24. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay