Liverpool FC Philly Supporters Club

Discussion in 'Philadelphia OT' started by bwest578, Aug 28, 2008.

1. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it was an "exchange". I stayed with his family for two weeks, then came back to the US & showed him AZ for two weeks. Same deal with Lyon. Still would like to hear why your a Liverpool supporter.

2. Liverpool John

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Why am I a Liverpool supporter? You don't choose a club, a club chooses you.

3. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. bigjinks

bigjinks Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Liverpool/Havertown
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Easy Fellas......

Was going to write a long winded comment but basically....

Like Liverpool John said, this is the Liverpool Supporters Club not the U Supporters Group Who Like Liverpool A Bit On Weekends. The fact that we are all U supporters as well is more because of geography - we all live round here and that's now our local team. The main common linking factor with this group is that we are die hard reds. The Union has its supporter groups - and guess what? you can be in both.

And before you question why I picked Liverpool, I was born there, grew up there have been going to Anfield (and still go 2-3 times a season) since 1978. I moved here in 2006.

5. Liverpool John

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'll be at Anfield for the Liverpool - United match and the Liverpool Norwich City match in October.

6. daveFC

daveFC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Audubon New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ohh, so thats WHY you don't like Everton. It's all making sense now jinksy. :)

7. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then your clearly not a band wagon fan. I can't the term EuroSnob for any of you since you all support the Union.

8. bigjinks

bigjinks Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Liverpool/Havertown
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Haha Thanks Dave. See you in a few weeks seeing as how I'll see you tomorrow. You guys renewing same seats next season? moneys tight here, but should be ok if I use my plastic Santa Claus

9. daveFC

daveFC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Audubon New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes Jinks , Mike renewed our seats ( standing spots ) for next year. Can't wait, as I have had a great time at the games this year with our current crew.

10. Toshack10

Toshack10 New Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I use the excuse that I try to follow teams from countries where people know how to use the language, and in England they teach students how to properly use "your" and "you're." I do not support any Philadelphia teams in any sport; I simply happen to reside in Philadelphia. When I began supporting Liverpool, the MLS didn't even exist, and if I chose to follow the team closest to my city of origin, that would be DC United. I guess you believe I should have been a DC United supporter and then switched to the Union a couple years ago when they were founded?

11. Toshack10

Toshack10 New Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I probably watched about 50% of the Chelsea games between roughly 2005-2008 at TNN, as I had two neighbors who liked to go there, one a Chelsea supporter and one a ManU supporter, and I can count on one hand the number of Chelsea supporters I saw there for most games. In fact I distinctly recall being shocked how there were almost no Chelsea supporters in there for the LFC/Chelsea game in Feb 2009. You don't start showing up at a pub and suddenly declare it a "Chelsea bar."

12. MorganFreeman

MorganFreeman Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    the Bards has been opening up early for matches.

Not a Liverpool bar. per say, but Liverpool friendly at least.

13. bigjinks

bigjinks Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Liverpool/Havertown
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good Bar. I do like TNN. I have a good rapport with the staff, and I always end up with a very nice tab at the end of the day. Big Chris, those from the Iron Abbey should know him since there aran't many fellas his size, and I used to meet up every midweek at TNN for the CL and EL games. Up till 2008 we'd meet at Fado but then the Hydrants started to appear and made it just a miserable time for everyone. We had a great little group but as we're all getting older and having families, It's made it more difficult to meet up more than a few times a year right now. It's really great we're now getting a good sized group together and having the outreach to the NYC groups. I'd have made it over the the Iron Abbey before now, but we had a baby in the close season so it's a bit difficult, but I aim to be there in 2 weeks.

14. bigjinks

bigjinks Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Liverpool/Havertown
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Big Chris, mentioned in the earlier post, was making slight of Torres after we sold him last year during a chelsea game at TNN. One of them told him to basically hush-up as it was a chelsea bar. Either a dumb move or balls of steel to tell a 6'6" bloke to be quiet. Anyway, a few days later I was chatting with the staff and mentioned the incident and they were like 'We are definitely not a Chelsea bar'. I don't think they mind people putting their flags up during games, but they certainly aren't going to have rabble drive away paying customers. I guess they are using the old 'Moon' standard of we put up our flag first so we claim it in our name.

15. bigjinks

bigjinks Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Liverpool/Havertown
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just some stuff I've been messing around with

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Liverpool John

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Unionfreak1 uses circular and inconsistent arguments to make his point about club support. The proverbial dog chasing its tail.

17. Toshack10

Toshack10 New Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I live downtown so it is inconvenient to get out to the suburbs but I have been enjoying the Iron Abbey the times I have been able to get there. Lots of enthusiastic people watching the games, this week there was one guy loudly and excitedly cheering for Arsenal and a couple of the Liverpool guys were really getting into it. There was some joke between the two loud Liverpool guys about Norwegians and it would make sense if those guys are Norwegian because most of the Norwegian guys I know really know how to have a good time. I definitely recommend watching games at the Iron Abbey and wish there was a train station closer so I could take the train out rather than have to drive. The Abbey has a great beer selection but I didn't want to drink more than two beers when I had to drive.

18. Liverpool John

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Part of a running gag at the Abbey each week. We like to wind up our Danish supporter (Brian), by referring to Agger as Norwegian. He takes the bite every week. Next time you are at the Abbey for a Liverpoool match, please introduce yourself.

19. LFCPhilly

LFCPhilly New Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know some guys from the city take the 55 bus which stops in front of the Abbey. One guy comes from chestnut hill and the other from west philly. You can also take the train to hatboro which is 5 mins away. We can arrange to have someone pick you up and drop you off if you can't work out the bus.

20. LFCPhilly

LFCPhilly New Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He (brian a.k.a. the screaming dane a.k.a. the screaming pastry) likes it when you refer to Agger as swedish, belgian(flemish), finish and icelandic. He also screams james' name out all the time so we mock him by screaming...jaaaMMMEEESSSS!!!

21. bambambranson

bambambranson New Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Dublin, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm upset that I missed the Man U match this week, but I was at a golf tourney for a good cause. My little brother came in my stead, and because of all of you, has said he'd like to be a Red as well. I'll be bringing him along each week, that he doesn't work, and get him acclimated.

See you guys Saturday. YNWA!

Kyle

22. Zombie_Gaz

Zombie_Gaz New Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is this a real idea, or just messing around?

There isn't currently an official, Philadelphia branch of the LFC supporters group, so has anyone contacted Liverpool about finding out how to do this?

I know most "recognized" supporters branches get allotments of tickets - I became a member at the Florida-based one for that reason.

Not sure what the requirements are for that (maybe having a web site, certain number of members, membership cards, etc), but it'd be nice to find out.

23. Neals1964

Neals1964 Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Valley forge
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are supporters still meeting at the iron abbey?

24. Toshack10

Toshack10 New Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yes the Abbey gets a good turnout for most weekend games. It's tough for me to get there so I've only been to a handful of games, but I would estimate it's 10-15 people for smaller games and 30-40 for bigger ones. Mid-week games are slower but it's like that anywhere.

Also regarding official club support, I talked to a couple of the guys that seemed to be pretty involved and they said that they were in the process of becoming officially sanctioned and had been to meetings with guys that are familiar with the process.

25. LFCPhilly

LFCPhilly New Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am one of the guys who is involved with getting an official LFC Philadelphia supporters group together. We have just finished the design on our club crest and have sold club shirts with the new crest. For the first go around we sold 45 shirts. We are still in the beginning stages of getting things up and running. As of now Liverpool FC are not recognizing anymore supporter's group simply because they can't give out anymore ticket allocations. We have a relationship with LFCNY and they get a ticket allotment. I have a list of about 80+ supporters that I email on a weekly basis to provide match and LFC Philly info. We still meet up at the Iron Abbey in horsham and they have allowed us to call them our official pub. They have food and drink specials for all Liverpool matches. If anyone is interested in having their name added to my list or needs more info email me ( Ian Cooper, iacooper_73@yahoo.com). We also have a Facebook page where you can get club info. (Liverpool FC-Philadelphia Supporters Club).

Cheers!
    Ian...
    LFC Philly