Little League Baseball, ESPN, and Youth Soccer

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by USAsoccer, Aug 13, 2002.

1. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas
    [​IMG]

2. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    The Bronx team lost in the US final. Which actually makes the rating more impressive, although the tournament was certainly helped by the Almonte publicity.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected.

LLWS Final - 08/26/2001 - 5.9 rating, 6,011,000 TVHH

US Final - 08/25/2001 - 3.7 rating, 3,822,000 TVHH

I'm sure Almonte helped juice the tournament, but he wasn't around for the final, which drew two million more households than the US Final, and, at the time, we didn't know he was overage.

4. Jay44

Jay44 Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Starkville, MS
    Amen...

5. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you are referring to soccer in general, then, yes, they show a good deal. I am more concerned with MLS. They know Eurosnobs and expats will tune into to CL games, and it's in the middle of the day, so they aren't bumping any prime coverage. The national team should be a ratings getter in the summer and during games of importance, but MLS getting a better timeslot is more of my concern. Like I said, it wasn't lost on me that softball was on at the same time when an MLS game could be shown, on Wednesday. And the excuse for not showing MLS there would most definitely be "That's a baseball timeslot." But a softball game can get it...

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure an MLS game could be shown then. Had someone thought it was a good idea. And based on usual MLS Wednesday crowds, I would gather they (they being MLS) don't think it's a particularly good idea, and they didn't include it in their TV coverage plans. Why would you have one random Wednesday? How could they know that last night's games would have looked good on TV and that they could have run an MLS game and gotten a .2, instead of the softball game, which, for all we know, got a .1?

MLS will be on Thursday nights in September when college football takes over the Saturday afternoon timeslot. And I'm sure the softball people will bitch about there being a soccer game on when a softball game could have been shown.

7. Godot22

Godot22 New Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Waukegan
    Re: Not helping....

I saw on the rumers column of internetluge.com that FOX was thinkin about offernig Major League Luge a $500m prime-time contract. To bad the MLL "BIG BOYS" would rathar keep they're time bys on ABC.

8. radiokvar

radiokvar New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    St. Louis, MO
    I had some thoughts on this subject earlier today, not only were they showing it when an mls match could be shown, which isn't my main problem, it's that every day this week they have shown the damn highlights of the llws or wnba on SC and i have yet to see any of mls, I do not believe its asking to much for 1 minute of time to show a couple goals and post the match results... It's just insulting... God forbid they take the time from some fluff feature or a god damn did you know...

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clip and save

Here's the reason for all of that, and the answer to all of those "would it kill them to show some MLS highlights"? questions (first off, I have seen MLS highlights on there, but, obviously not as many as we would like, it's more filler than staple, if that):

Because there are virtually no consequences for them if they don't.

I worked in TV for many years, and you could have an exclusive interview with the Grassy Knoll Gunman and no one would call. But miss putting the lottery numbers on? Hooo-boy. Have the network pick up a CART race late in the Indianapolis market? Hooo-boy, get ready to answer the phones.

If they didn't show NFL highlights, they'd hear about it. If they didn't show MLB highlights, they'd hear about it. If they don't show MLS highlights, they may hear about it a little bit, but certainly not enough to make them put MLS on the "must-show" list.

10. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U12 Girl's Softball World Series [R]

And don't forget that we have Curling to look forward to this winter...at least MLS won't be ignored by TV because of the Curling fans.

I really am curious now, however, about what the ratings were for the U12 Girl's SBWS. How do I find that out???

By the way, I watched it.

11. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Guys...do not forget the anti soccer

Ya'll right there are 12 kids for every one baseball player, but have you ever hear ANTI-BASEBALL coment on the sport media?? Now lets go to SOCCER... have ya'll hear a ANTISOCCER COMENTS ON THE SPORT MEDIA.... but of course, all over the sport media are soccer HATERS, why they hate soccer ??? I do not know they just do !!
    On the other hand USSF/MLS are not spending the money very wisely USSF pay 275000 for games broadcasting when that money could pay for 30 minutes a week soccer highlight program to inform the other 65 % of the american population that WE ARE PLAYING SOCCER AND WE ARE GETTING GOOD.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't I just leave these people alone?

First off, USSF didn't spend anything to broadcast the World Cup.

Second off, would this 30-minute program get a 4.36 cable rating at 7:30AM Eastern Time and be on the front pages of every sports section in America? Doubtful.

Americans like big events. There's nothing bigger than the World Cup as far as soccer goes. Doing well there gives you a better and bigger impression than all the 30-minute programs with the guy from Survivor or Veronica Paysee you can come up with.

13. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Re: Guys...do not forget the anti soccer

Everyday... in fact many more times than I've heard soccer bashing.

14. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look in the mirror for part of the problem

As some who used to occasionally cover MLB, I heard them all the time. And continue to. In private and in print.

The problem is that many soccer fans don't acknowledge the 10-15 articles that appear 5-6 days a week in newspapers across the country covering soccer.

Instead of discussing things rationally and based on accurate data, they make up "facts" like 12 kids play soccer for every one playing baseball, when the number is closer to 2 kids play soccer for every one playing baseball. (http://www.sgma.com/press/2002/press1022598798-8248.html)

They ignore the fact that non-MLS cities like Milwaukee, Miami, Houston, St. Louis and San Diego have outstanding soccer writers, some of whom write weekly columns on the sport.

They chose to forget that the Washington Post might have had more articles in the paper each day on the World Cup than soccer bashers in major media managed to put together combined for the entire month of the competition.

So many soccer fans focus on the one or two or three articles that pop up from time to time - most from the same sources - and paint the entire media with a broad brush.

They decide to take one comment that covers three seconds of SportsCenter and carry it as their own personal cross while there are dozens upon dozens of reporters covering the sport the way it should be.

But those people often do it anonymously because instead of thanking those who give the sport the coverage it deserves, many soccer "fans" decide to writhe in pain and whine about the people who have exercised their freedom of choice and either expressed a distaste for soccer or simply chosen another path.

So forgive me if I'm not carving out ESPN voodoo dolls because they chose to give softball or baseball or whatever coverage when an MLS game was going on at the same time.

In order to garner the respect that will bring the sport to the front of their minds, many, many, many soccer fans have to grow the hell up and realize that not everything is about them, not everyone is out to get them and people don't really appreciate being told they're a jackass for not liking the same things you do.

Little League Baseball got this kind of coverage not through martydom, but through people supporting the sport on its merits. Put more effort into supporting soccer at all levels and less into bitching about how "bad" soccer has it.

15. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Re: Not helping....

But what would they call the league?? Major Luge Series (MLS) would not be a choice.

16. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    Re: Re: Not helping....

MLL is also not a choice... Major League Lacross

how about NLL, National Luge League or NLA, National Luge Association

i think i like NLA the best

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adults, TV ruin Little League ideal

And, a concurrent opinion from Bob Molinaro of the Norfolk (Va.) Virginian-Pilot:

18. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob's my cousin, by the way. :D

19. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how many players on the HarlemNY team and other US teams are US born, naturalized US citizens, US green card holders, etc.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think David Regis' wife is planning to adopt some of them. ;)

21. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002
    I am not sure there ever was a Little League ideal. If there was, it was ruined before TV got into the picture. When I played Little League over 20 years ago, we had parents jawboning coaches over their kids playing time, screaming at umpires over calls, and yelling for/at kids to get a hit/get on base in not exactly an encouraging, supportive way. It was still more or less fun, but not an idyllic childhood memory. The kids who are playing in the Little League World Series have already been under enough pressure that I doubt having the games on ESPN2 makes any difference.

22. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I thought Bob was your uncle?

;)

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and Flo's your aunt. ;)

24. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA

So, why is Honda (a Japanese corporation) funding LLWS and MLS? Covering both ends of a substantial bet, since they can't go into Winston Cup?

25. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Re: Re: Not helping....

Major League Lugers. Say it with Pop Rocks in your mouth. Enjoy the sound.