Little Known Flicks We Should See?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by DoctorJones24, Aug 1, 2002.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been down every amazon road whether .com .de. .uk .fr or .jp - I've checked netflix too. I even tried contacting someone directly on a website, but never received a response. I saw some great documentaries on him at a film festival at the University of Alabama at Birmingham called "Travelling Film South Asia." It was film fesitival package tour sponsored by HIMAL magazine, a great Nepalese magazine on south asian political & cultural affairs.

2. El Toro

El Toro New Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Fountain & Fairfax
    Mindwalk with Liv Ullman, Sam Waterston and John Heard. A physicist, a politician and a poet walk around a French island (that one that you can walk to by land at low tide but I forget the name) and talk about everything. The movie is one big conversation.

Trees Lounge - Steve Buscemi's directorial debut. Not to sure if this rates as a 'little known flick' but I love giving it props whenever I can. About a thirtysomething loser and drunk on Long Island and his gradual awakening to life. No pat answers or plot resolutions.

3. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Thought of another one that falls in this category:

LIMBO by John Sayles
    Stars David Straitharn and Mary Elizabeth Mastroenio

Granted, this is probably well known to Sayles junkies, but I feel like it flies well below the radar of "Lone Star," "Matewan," and "Roan Inish." "Limbo" is very interesting little movie though; one of those genre bending films that refuses to be categorized: romantic drama? thriller?
    Also features a truly surprising "twist" ending that will have you talking for a while...though perhaps out of frustration.

4. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    Pi

Darren Aronofsky's first film (before Requiem for a Dream).

From IMDb:

In Manhattan, behind six locks, lives Max Cohen, a mathematician and computer whiz. Since staring at the sun at age six, he's had terrible headaches; plus, he can't abide human contact except with an aging professor, and he's obsessed with finding numeric patterns. His current obsession is the stock market; his theories bring him to the attention of Wall Street traders. He also keeps running into Lenny, a fast-talking Hasidic who fronts for a cabal that wants to rediscover long-lost mathematical mysteries in the Torah. Neither group is benign, and they pursue Max as his hallucinations and headaches worsen.

I would think many people posting in here know of this, but for some reason a lot of people haven't heard of or seen it. Personally, I thought it was excellent. Aronofsky made the film for almost nothing, but did a great job. Sean Gullette, who was the lead, also cowrote the film with Aronofsky.

5. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    I saw it or atleast part of it. It was terrible.
    Just my opinion, maybe a guy/girl split b/c the guy at the video store liked it and I think my BF watched it through.

6. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    I also couldn't make it through the whole thing. Didn't think it was horrible, just not all that great. "Requiem" was wildly overrated as well, IMO.

7. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Living in Oblivion,Floundering(Steve Buscemi)

Romper Stomper(Russell Crowe)

Mifune( Iben Hjejle )

The Closet,The Return of Martin Guerre,A Pure Formality(Gerard Depardieu)

Twin Town(Rhys Ifans,Dougray Scott)

I'm surely leaving out many but this is what I can come up with off the top of my head.

8. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    "Johnny Stecchino" (starring Roberto Benigni)

It's in Italian, so those of you who don't speak the language will have to deal with subtitles. Still, though, it's perhaps the funniest movie I've ever seen.

9. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know if this qualifies as "little known" either, but "To Sleep with Anger" is a great "small" flick. Danny Glover stars as the old friend of an LA man who shows up one day and trouble starts. Is he practicing witchcraft or isn't he? A masterpiece of understatement.

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just make sure you're pronouncing it "right." That's the important thing. (If you've seen American Movie -- and Phat's right, you should -- you'll know what I mean)

I'll just mention three I've seen in the past month that probably aren't at the local Googleplex. Unless you have a really cool one.

Since John Sayles has been mentioned, I'll recommend his newest, called Sunshine State. Great use of the "Greek Chorus" in the form of 4 rich guys golfing.

Also saw this weekend 13 Conversations About One Thing. A great slice of life film that has a beginning a middle, and an end, but not in that order.

And for a good indy date movie, The Bread, My Sweet made in Pittsburgh. It'll leave you asking the universal question, "damn, since when did Scott Baio know how to act?"

11. evilcrossbar

evilcrossbar New Member

Jan 19, 2002
    'Yojimbo' (don't know how well known this Kurosawa flick is, but its my current favorite).

'Tetsuo the Iron Man' - this is some crazy f***ing s**t.

'Fallen Angels' (great HK film and its not Kung Fu either).

Some of the Werner Herzog films are interesting - particularly those with Klaus Kinski (he was a crazy mother*****r):

'Aguirre, Wrath of God'

'Fitzcaraldo'

'Nosferatu'

'The Legend of Caspar Hauser'- not with Kinski

The Jacques Tati movies are all funny, particularly:

'Mon Oncle'

'Playtime'

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a quality film this is. I thought the movie was pretty well known, but then again, I guess black and white Japanese cinema isn't exactly mainstream with most folks.

13. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent call--Mon Oncle is especially terrific.

I was just watching "Last Man Standing" on TV and yearning for Yojimbo instead.

14. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Heart of Glass is also a very fine film Aguirre is terrific. , one of my favortes.

I saw JOhn Cassavetes Shadows this weekend. it doesn't get much mroe slice of life. Somewhat like early Godard without the loopy intellectual moments and, well, generally the Frenchness.Quality film.

15. evilcrossbar

evilcrossbar New Member

Jan 19, 2002
    For those of you who like movies such as 'Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels' and 'Snatch' there is a UK film (Scottish) which might satify you (and no, its not Guy Ritchie).

Its called 'Orphans' and I liked it better than Snatch. The version I saw in the theatre actually had subtitles because the Scottish accents are so thick. Unlike, LSTSB, and Snatch I don't think it was ever intended for major release in the US. Anyone else seen this?

It may not be the best movie ever but I liked it nonetheless.

16. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    The Debt Collector with Billy Connolly and Andrew Stott.

Billy is a reformed debt collector who used to beat the crap out of those who couldn't repay the money owed to loan sharks. He's now a successful sculptor, and has an exebition in a Glasgow gallery. Andrew was the policeman who caught him and is obsessed with proving that Billy's character is an evil man, and should be an outcast for his previous deeds.

This, and Mrs. Brown show what a good actor Billy is.

17. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just remembered: Into the West

it's about 2 Traveler boys who get mixed up with a horse that might be magical. The father, played by Gabriel Byrne, has been in a drunken stupor since his wife died and has get grip on himself in order to find his sons. The boys are wonderful.

18. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nobody i know has seen "after hours" , so ill qualify that as "little known" for now, though i am really in no position to judge. i could be totally wrong.

Anyways, its about the one long night this guy as after he gets off work. ill leave it at that.

Its one of my all time favorites.

19. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if it's little-known enough to belong here, but, see Lola Rennt (English title Run Lola Run).

20. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of people have heard of "Europa, Europa", but very few have seen it. I found it terribly interesting.

21. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    This list is getting very cool. Lots to choose from now when heading to the video store. How bout people start adding a link to the Imdb page for their film when posting?

22. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would edit my previous post to add a link, but apparently it's past some time limit, so...

Lola Rennt (English title Run Lola Run).

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same thing, tried to edit my previous post, and it wouldn't let me, so here it is, in revamped form:

------

The first movie I would add to this thread would be Vertical Ray of the Sun. It is one of the most beautifully shot movies ever.

[​IMG]

Another great little known movie is Shower. It pits modernity against traditional ways. Its a Chinese movie. Very funny, but very serious too.

Andrei Rublev would be another classic. Long movie though (over 3 hours.) It has a great surprise in store at the end. One of the coolest sequences I've ever seen in a movie.

You should be able to get all of these at any decent video store, eventhough most of them are "little known."

The impossible to find movie I would suggest would be Music in Their Bones a great documentary about bluegrass in rural Alabama. This was listed at IMDB, but there were no reviews, no information and no buying information. I saw it at a film festival.

24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's the one where the cast are hypnotized, right? Funny story about that one: It was shown on "International Film Friday" at my college, and it attracted an unusually large crowd of trendily-dressed new-wave wankers. The film started, and instantly the crowd is restless. A low murmer runs through the theater. Suddenly, about 5 minutes in, a guy with wrap-around shades and an outfit that makes him look like that robot from The Day the Earth Stood Still stands up and says, "hey! What the F#*k! This isn't Blondie!" (You younger folks may not know that Blondie... AKA Deborah Harry's Band, had an album called Heart of Glass, and the trendoids thought they were getting look at the live concert film....

On the the obscure flick part of my post:

Rogopag is a must see for anyone who likes European film from the 60s. It's a series of short films by different directors (similar to New York Stories, only about 30 years earlier). The names of the directors are in the title: Rossellini, Pasolini, Godard, and Gregoretti. Rossellini's seems sort of mailed in, Pasolini's and Godard's are great, but the best one is by Gregoreti (Ghost, I think you'd really dig this one), a director who seems, as far as my local (and excellent) video place iis concerned, fell off the roof shortly thereafter... anyone knows anything about this guy, let me know.

I would also add another good indy American flick that I've seen three or four times and which I like better each time: The Florentine. It revolves around a Pennsylvania bar and features incredible performances by Tom SIzemore, Jim Belushi, and Luke Perry... I'm not kidding.

25. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a question:

What's the name of the Italian film that has the director tooling around on a vespa to a Keith Jarrett soundtrack. It touches on everything from reminiscences about the political left to Jennifer Beals and Flashdance.