Little better but not quite there - 2020 Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, I agree with you 150% about the importance of clear writing. And I agree with your comments about "logic". The logic that was in my head when I wrote that last post was illogical language construction... in the context of someone spending time discounting another's post due to it being (arguably) poorly written. But in hindsight I should've left "logic" out of that sentence, and just left it at "grammar & composition".

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a much better way of presenting your theory, which may be correct BTW, than the way you did it before. :)

3. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ted weighs in about compensation if young players leave for free:

1228025511445696518 is not a valid tweet id

My take is that Saka is really good at 18, and players that good at that age tend to be stars. Better off paying him now rather than seeing him go to a place like Leipzig.

daedalus repped this.
  5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Saka will be starting lw next year

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah could very well be, depending on our system, where Martinelli plays, etc.

I just deleted a somewhat stupid post because I thought you had said "starting LB next year" and I agreed, somehow forgetting about Tierney who obviously was/is the plan for LB.

But it's great to have Saka who can play both roles with apparent ease. I'm really liking Bukayo more and more. :D

thebigman repped this.
  7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm also wondering if he could see minutes in place of Ozil. I think Emery played him at AM a couple times. If he can develop a fraction of Ozil's creative passing ability, his speed would be deadly up the middle.

Could you imagine and attacking 4 of Martinelli, Pepe, Saka & Nketiah/Eduoard in a couple years. The sheer speed could absolutely blow the opposition away.

Edit... or we could move to the 4-2-2-2 / 4-2-4 I've been pining for for a few years and run Saka at LW, Pepe at RW and Martinelli & Nketiah/Eduoard at ST.

8. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Some posts bring out my sarcastic side.

9. Sarcasm Bot

Sarcasm Bot Member+

Nov 4, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    He looked tentative to start with when he came back from injury, but he's been solid in recent months. Thiago is the best here and Kimmich seems to have decided he wants to be in midfield always and the coach accommodates. With Muller starting every game, that's all midfield spots taken. I still doubt we sell him. He's very much a fan favourite and is a jack of all trades in midfield.

thebigman repped this.
  10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    thiago is a baller too. He’s my ideal midfielder but 0 chance

does gotetzka not play then? He was another great cm and I know Alaba is good there but a better lb

u guys are stacked

Hopefully u smash Chelsea

11. Sarcasm Bot

Sarcasm Bot Member+

Nov 4, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Goretzka has been getting spare minutes over Tolisso. He contributes goals and assists but doesn't provide the stability that Thiago or Kimmich does.

Alaba has been playing CB this season with Davies locking down LB.

We probably will smash Chelsea.

thebigman repped this.
  12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Could be a cl winning year

13. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors from the last several days...

1. We are trying to tie Saka up with a 1st team contract (he evidently is playing under his academy contract ???) to ward off interest from Liverpool and ManU

2. We have supposedly expressed some interest in former ManU and Ajax defender Daley Blind in case Pablo Mari doesn't work out as a LCB.

3. Leicester expects to lose Chilwell this summer and are planning to come after Tierney as his replacement.

4. We supposedly tried and failed to secure a deal for Lille CB Gabriel before completing a deal for Pablo Mari. Gabriel has since opened up about a desire to move to the EPL and it is thought that we will reprise our interest this summer.

5. Someone from Arsenal has been in contact with Santi Cazorla to ask his opinions for current teammates Pau Lopes and Samuel Chukwueze about their potential fit for Arsenal. Lopes was a supposed target of Emery and Wenger passed on the opportunity to sign Chukwueze for 4m GBP in 2017.

6. Inter plans to make a run at PEA this summer as they expect Barca to trigger the release clause for Lauturo Martinez.

14. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robbie Burton moves to Dinamo Zagreb on a permanent move for approx 1m euro. Haven't found any info regarding a potential buyback. Given our MO, I'm going to assume there is no buyback and he will be worth 50m within 2 yrs.

daedalus, GunnerJacket and CarlosKaiser repped this.
  15. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's the kid that Freddie pushed for Emery to include on the US preseason tour, right? We do often include sell-on fees, so let's hope that's included in the deal. ;)

16. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think a lot of the youth team may get moved on shortly. Burton was already 20, and behind Willock in development and less impressive then Jeff as far as I can tell.

17. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This morning we are being linked with Leverkusen CB Jonathan Tah. He supposedly has a 40m euro release clause.

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Good in the air, average 1v1, good at building out of the back, commits lots of fouls. I have Post Mustafi Stress Disorder.

maskito repped this.
  19. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing some links to Genk AM/SS Jonathan David. 20yo, very athletic and can finish. 19g 10a across 35 games in EL & Belgian League this season. Not sure he has ever played on the wing so I assume we would be getting him to replace Ozil? Be nice to get that kind of goal production from an AM spot.

20. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'd take a Canadian, won't lie.

21. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything I've read about him makes him out to be a more offensive Ramsey. Likes to come barreling forward from deep positions. Could use him in Ozil's spot if we have some creators at wing or DM. Maybe pull off a deal for Toliso and play next to Xhaka like we did with Dani last game?

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We don’t need that kind of player

ESr will come good imo

I think we need to look at more mobile and strong cms and think about what we are doing with auba and laca. We may need a new striker

I’m not convinced by tah either

23. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #99 casoccerdad47, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Arsenal are being linked with Partey again and the rumor is they are willing to pay his release fee. He qualifies as both more mobile and stronger than the current CMs.

BTW it's to bad Emery didn't follow through on his interest in Nkunku, he looks like he might have been a nice addition and a possible heir to Ozil. This weekend he had 9 key passes, 4 of them assists, in Leipzig's 5-0 demolition of 6th place Shalke, bringing his assist total in the Bundesliga to 11.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also seeing claims that we sent scouts to Roma to take a look at MF Bryan Cristante.

Agree on Partay. Honestly I think he is worth the rumored 50m euro release. He is certainly better than any of our #6/8 MF and would provide us a good bit of flexibility in MF.

Still pissed that we let Nkunku go. Worst part is that A) he wanted to come to Arsenal and B) Leipzig got him cheap (15m euro).

GunnerJacket repped this.