Little better but not quite there - 2020 Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #51 casoccerdad47, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Ever since his second or third season?? You mean the season where he recorded 19 league assists? BTW when you say But at the time of his signing I was just about as pumped as anyone, and I thought he + Alexis showed such a statement of intent”, I don’t know if it was your intention, but it suggests they arrived together or that Alexis was here when 0zil was signed. In fact, Alexis didn’t arrive until the next summer. All of which suggests you have a short memory.

2. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ozil may have been the wrong signing, but it would have been more about fit than his quality or performance. He was very very good and was priced very well.

3. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ozil was an incredible signing at the time. It was an awesome price for a great player. He was a horrible signing when it came time to re-up. While I wasn't opposed to re-signing him the contract was awful given his age/quality. Had we signed him for 200-250k / week it would have been considered a solid value and would have been a movable contract.

daedalus, Shen-O and bandwagongooner repped this.
  4. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alexis is the one who sucks

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chill dude. You are making way too many assumptions about my memory and putting way too many words into my mouth. I never said they arrived in the same window, nor was that even really implied by what I wrote. I have always known that these 2 "big signings" arrived one after the other, in successive seasons and that was all I was citing as the club's "statement of intent"

As for which season I started to realize that we weren't getting the optimal performance (thus value) from him, I wrote 2nd or 3rd because that's what I recollected. I know it was a couple of years after he arrived that the feelings about Mesut began to sour. And I certainly don't track his stats, but if I did I probably wouldn't base his total value on his assists record, as valuable as that might be.

Anyway this whole discussion stems from a comment made about Wenger doing "bargain basement" deals, and Ozil was brought up as one of the counter points to that. I guess his transfer fee could be considered by some to be a bargain as @chjoak and @bandwagongooner suggest, but it certainly was a very big outlay in the history of our signings. And I suspect you & I are never going to agree on his ultimate value or worth to our club. So be it.

6. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    If we wanted good money, we missed the window. Laca's lackluster season indicates we will be lucky to get the fee we paid for him. Auba's price will be probably 40m as he is aging and the world is full of young upcoming CFs who are more appealing. Barca needed a CF after the Suarez injury but that chance is gone.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly I suspect you are probably right. We probably don't possess any cash cow right now. Maybe Martinelli might become one but it's way too early to project that.

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Q: Given Timo Werner's alleged super-cheap buyout clause why has there not been more action for him from other clubs? Read the ESPN piece about players expected to move over the summer and I'm seeing PEA to Barca, then on the same page I'm reading that Werner is expected to go to Liverpool to possibly be a backup! So as a fan I'm thinking that if Arsenal "has" to see PEA and Laca but also know that someone like Werner could be had for 27M pounds then why not jump on that? Am I missing something? (other then the "why go to Arsenal" stuff) Why haven't other clubs made overtures for him?

9. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My best guess would be that his skillset is not ideal for most teams. He is a speedy striker that can't really play as a lone ST in most setups because his hold up play is weak and like PEA he doesn't seem to really fit on the wing. And despite the number of goals he scores, his finishing is really not that great. Seems to completely whiff/scoff a good number of chances.

Also, he just signed a contract extension the last several months and it is rumored that his buyout is now 60m euro.

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ozil is a great player

but he is a guy u add to an elite side. We have never been elite so even though he was excellent, our midfield and defence was never good enough to cater to a ten (means our midfield was always outnumbered and never good enough)

sanchez was the wrong player for him too

if we signed auba 2 years before we did, it may of worked a lot better

bandwagongooner and daedalus repped this.
  11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  12. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure it would be a priority or that we would have the extra cash but Bayern is said to be looking to sell Tolisso this summer to fund a deal for Havertz. Wanted Tolisso when he left Lyon and would still take him in a heartbeat.

13. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's generally been known for awhile. The problem we could run into now is that Barca, Bayern & City are said to be interested as well. The question becomes whether damn near guaranteed playing time at a rebuilding Arsenal is more attractive than those clubs with more recent success. Biggest advantage that we may have beyond that is possible connections with Saliba & Duezy.

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let’s see what happens with mouri as we will need to shift a cb for upa and we still lack in other areas

no one knows what will happen with auba and laca etc and ozil has to be gone

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sounds like we might need Arteta to suit up.

16. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be surprised if we don't find a way to move Mustafi & Sokratis in the summer.

thebigman repped this.
  17. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sounds like he wants to go to PL, doesn't want to stay in Bundesliga. That could mean City but I still think we have a shout

18. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A young French core (Saliba, Duezy & rumored to be after Papa Gueye & Edouard) that he could be playing with in the NT could be a nice pitch.

19. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Once again you have asserted that you began to sour on Ozil a couple (2) of years after he arrived. Maybe I wasn’t clear enough, his third season was the season in which he provided 19 premier league assists, if you began to sour on him at that point I suspect you were all alone. If instead, you are suggesting it was within a few years of arrival, say that.

I used to write and also edit a lot of technical reports, so I’m a literalist, which leads me to the next point. When you say “at the time of his signing I was just about as pumped as anyone,” and then include “and I thought he + Alexis showed such a statement of intent” in the same sentence that can be interpreted as, that at the time of Ozil’s signing you thought he and Alexis were a statement of intent. If you weren’t confused about who came first, you should have separated your statement into two sentences. I also qualified my interpretation of this sentence by saying “I didn’t know if it was your intention”

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I already explained what I meant so what you're doing is really quite pointless. This is BigSoccer... a fan forum. Where you could spend 168 hours every week ripping apart the many thousands of new posts, finding flaws in grammar, composition, logic, whatever. But to what end? We're not writing legal treaties here. We're discussing a sport, and and a team we mutually support.

21. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now we are being linked to Tolisso.

22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are, but clear writing makes that easier and more enjoyable IMO. I'm not accusing you of failure to do so, btw. And yeah, finding flaws in grammar can rightly be characterized as nitpicking and is unnecessary. But I'd vehemently disagree that finding flaws in logic is as well. If one's point about a player or a match or anything isn't logically coherent why should anyone take it seriously? Moreover, if one's writing makes it appear to the reader that one is incorrect about an objective fact, I don't have a problem with that being pointed out. Clarification, like you did above, ensures we're all on the same page as to what we're discussing.

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hows he done this year?

24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only played in 10 or so matches. Think he has been solid when he has played but given their MF depth he has had trouble getting back on the field after recovering from his injury. Since Bayern has gone a good while without him and they desperately want Havertz they decided he is surplus.

thebigman and GunnerJacket repped this.
  25. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I almost wrote I know I’m nitpicking, but I do have a point. I believe at least 90% of the souring on Ozil occurred after he signed his new contract, not because of his transfer fee.

daedalus repped this.