List Of RSL's 2008 Trialists

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by RSL Fortaleza Menina, Feb 1, 2008.

1. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    I finally obtained a somewhat complete list of the eight trialists invited to train with RSL during the current California leg of camp. In years past, trialists such as Atiba Harris & Jean Kipre have earned contracts and realized significant playing time here.

What are the prospects for this year's crop?...
    • Matt Bredehoft (GK, USA)
    • Salim Bullen (MF, USA/TNT)
    • Sergio Comba (F, ARG)
    • Brent Douglas (GK, USA)
    • Giuseppe "Joe" Funicello (D, USA/ITA)
    • Jesus Mendoza (FW, MEX)
    • Lester More (FW, CUB)
    • Dusan Simic (M, SER)
    Photos & bios for each of the above now up at RSLFM.com for anyone interested.

2. Scadzz

Scadzz Member

Apr 2, 2006
    f=956
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks FM, the info on your site is great.

BTW, I wasn't able to find any stats on Jesus Mendoza (FW, MEX). His resume of past clubs is impressive, but what about his production? Does anybody know anything about him? Looking at some other forums it looks as if he has been looking at the MLS for a little bit of time now.

3. Crazy4RSL

Crazy4RSL New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Redondo Beach
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  4. Scadzz

Scadzz Member

Apr 2, 2006
    f=956
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not good enough to translate word for word (I speak Portuguese and it helps, but not enough to really translate well), but it is just about his chance to train with RSL. He says "I came here because they needed a player of my position, but I will see. It all depends on the opinion of the coach."

He talks about how they are in California and that he would like to make the team because it is a 'good team' and in a city that lives well.

Another interesting comment is at the end he says "It's been a good enviroment and I've met good people. I thought it would be more difficult because I'm Mexican."

I wonder if this sentiment keeps more Mexican players from looking north to continue their careers?

5. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I understood that we were going to have a group of trialists in California and then another group in Florida. I assume that this is just the California group, right? Has anyone heard if Pete Byers is still on tap for the Florida camp?

I have many friends in Brasov and will try to get their impression of Simic. BTW - I was standing next to him and a translator/agent talking to Garth at the end of the open practice. It was a bit comical, it sounded like he was asking when he would know if he made the team, and Garth was explaining that they were going to California and they would start to get serious about training there. Garth said at the end of that we'll talk and see if it make sense to move forward or not.

6. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Good point and good question. My understanding is that it's possible others could be brought in over the next 8 weeks. And that not all of the above will necessarily be training at the same time together.

7. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seems to be a more impressive list of trialists from years past...

[/FONT] http://babelfish.altavista.com/

8. neophyte

neophyte Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Here is a full translation (at least my attempt):

Good Possibilities

Jose de Jesus Mendoza spends preseason with Real Salt Lake of MLS, with whom he hopes to sign a contract in the upcoming days

By Graciela Resendiz
    Services of ESPNdeportes.com
    February 1, 2008 10:36 PM

Mexico City—Real Salt Lake is looking for middle attacker, a spot that could be for Mexican Jose de Jesus Mendoza, who is spending the preseason with the Western Conference team from MLS of the United States.
    “We are in Oxnard, California. Next week I’ll know if I am staying with the club. I would love it to be that way, because it’s a good team and a good life in the city,” commented Mendoza to ESPNdeportes.com by telephone.
    Less than a month ago, Chuy found himself in Turkey, because there was a possibility of playing for Gaziantepspor, the team in which Antonio de Nigris played for a year and a half.
    Due to differences in contract conditions, no agreement was reached, so he went to Azerbaijan to try his luck in a team in a meager circumstances, so he decided to look in other areas.
    Looking ahead to the new season, Salt Lake started its preparations last January 26th in California. “I came because here they need a player in my position; to see how it goes for me. Everything depends on the opinion of the coach,” said Mendoza.
    Fortunately for him, he has other options within MLS. “But hopefully this one works out. There is a good atmosphere and I’ve met good people. I thought it would be harder for me, being Mexican.”

He Would Be the 26th Mexican in MLS

Chuy Mendoza is looking to be the 26th Mexican to play in the USA since 1996, when MLS started up. In that year, ex-goalie Jorge Campos, three-times world-cup player, was the major signing of the season, and not just for the Galaxy.
    Afterward, Hugo Sanchez (Dallas), Missael Espinoza (San Jose), and Martin Vazquez (Tampa Bay) also joined.
    In 1997, David Patino played for Colorado, as did Jorge “el Tote” Castaneda; Daniel Guzman played in San Jose. In 1998 the exodus of Mexicans continued: Francisco Uribe played for San Jose and Carlos Hermosillo for the Galaxy.
    Luis Hernandez left in 200 for the Galaxy; Alberto Rizo in 2003 to Colorado; Ramon Ramirez in 2004 to Chivas USA; Antonio de la Torre in 2004 to Colorado; Armando Bejines in 2005 to Chivas USA; Sergio Garcia in 2005 to Chivas USA; Jesus Ochoa in 2005 to Chivas USA; Juan Pablo “el Loco” Garcia in 2005 to Chivas USA; Juan Francisco Palencia in 2005 to Chivas USA; Jose Manuel Abundis in 2006 to New England.
    Isaac Romo in 2005 to Chivas USA; Martin Zuniga in 2005 to Chivas USA; Francisco Mendoza in 2005 to Chivas USA; Claudio Suarez in 2006 to Chivas USA; Cuauhtemoc Blanco in 2007 to the Chicago Fire, and Duillo Davino in 2008 to Dallas.

9. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I received this back from a Romanian friend, not from Brasov. It doesn't directly address Simic, but talks about the teams he has played for:

In case you are wondering, there is not a "first of all" because it was a personal comment directed at me. Also, ignore his parting shot. From this information, I would be concerned if he was in serious consideration for our roster.

10. FireEllingerAgain

Jun 2, 2007
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say we'd be stoked to have Mendoza. Now, maybe I'm way behind, but why did we let Kipre go? I thought he was awesome.

11. ravenrooney

ravenrooney Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Because he was a PK waiting to happen. But then again he was like 22 and the fastest outside back in the league...but it's not like that matters.

12. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kreis wants his type of players. And, Kipre had too much speed.

13. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

any word on what happen to kipre?

14. jeito

jeito Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a coach, I always felt you can teach the giving up PK's issue. I think the communication difficulty was a major factor. Kipre spoke French and Mehdi spoke French, so perhaps that made communicating easier. Once Mehdi was gone, communicating became more of an issue than it already was. I just always go back to... Kipre was young, cheap, fast and aggressive. I like my chances as a coach with that going for you.

15. RedStarKaysville

Jan 17, 2006
    Layton
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Kipre's international status is what doomed him. I think he played a position that is easier to replace with Americans than other positions. I don't think his value in comparison to Wingert, Joy, Beltran, etc. exceeds the value of the Argentine players in their respective positions. I also think the available foreign spots need to be spent on forwards or other more dire needs of the team.
    Plus, you can't afford to have him on the field giving away that many PKs. How much time do you allow someone to take an international spot while they develop if your team needs a serious talent upgrade immediately?

16. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I think he refused to watch Jason's stupid cry kids. (sorry couldn't resist)

17. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    UPDATE: According to an RSL press release today, four of the eight were sent home this weekend--and are no longer part of RSL's future preseason plans:
    • Brent Douglas (GK, USA)
    • Giuseppe "Joe" Funicello (D, USA/ITA)
    • Jesus Mendoza (FW, MEX)
    • Lester More (FW, CUB)
    (Supplemental draft pick Kenny Anaba is also said to be released.)

Which leaves the following trialists still active:
    • Matt Bredehoft (GK, USA)
    • Salim Bullen (MF, USA/TNT)
    • Sergio Comba (F, ARG)
    • Dusan Simic (M, SER)

18. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    To me, the interesting thing on that press release is Wingert's multi-year extension. I'm pretty sure that he wasn't out of contract, and given that in the MLS the club continues to own a players rights as long as they attempt to sign the player, this seemed a bit odd. Is this something that is routinely done for a player of Wingert's calibre?

19. ohhh_yeah

ohhh_yeah New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Portland

great guy by the way... my family wishes him luck...

[​IMG]

20. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    FYI: add former Jamaica Intl & MLS vet (DCU, Metro) Craig Ziadie (D) to this list...
    [​IMG]

21. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know anything about this guy? It seems like reading his bio that he can play any of the spots along the back line. Any idea where he as been playing since he left the Metrostars?

22. FireEllingerAgain

Jun 2, 2007
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before RSL existed, I was a die hard Metrostars fan. Craig Ziadie was a really solid right back. He was even rumored to be hoping for Bruce Arena to call him to the US National team, but when Jamaica came calling for him first he eventually took his place with them rather than wait for his adopted country the U.S. to ask for him. I hope he's still good, now that he's almost thirty. It would definitely make our starting and backup defense really good, theoretically.

I can't find any info on what he's been doing since he left MLS. I read that Chivas took him with their first group of players but he didn't sign. I assume he went to play in the Jamaican league.

23. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    He retired at least a couple of years ago and has his own company in Florida. I would be extremely shocked if he could break our 18 man roster. Chalk this up to a case of needing a warm body to practice against in camp.

24. FireEllingerAgain

Jun 2, 2007
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang, I was a little excited to see his name on the list, but that makes perfect sense. He must live nearby so they asked him to come train with them.

25. soccerbum23

soccerbum23 Member

May 21, 2006
    Lost in Utah
    With Acosta being cut once again, can we expect him back on the Reserve Squad?
    He is USL caliber and should focus on making a team there? He doesnt seem like a JK type of player