List of Differences Between NFHS & IFAB Soccer

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Kit, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here where I live, the high school referee classes will begin soon. I am looking to create a list of the major differences between NFHS and IFAB soccer rules/laws. I know that the NCAA publishes a rules comparison every year, but I am just looking to create a simple list, and I just want the major differences. I don't care about things like the soccer ball has to have the NFHS logo on them. Here is what I got so far:

1. Timing with a count down stop clock
    2. Subs on certain dead balls
    3. Throw-ins that do not enter the field go to the other team
    4. Players must leave the field when they are cautioned
    5. Visiting teams wear white, home teams wear "dark"
    6. Shin guards must be a certain size
    7. Coaches cautioned for first illegal equipment violation

That was what I thought of off the top of my head. What other MAJOR rule/law differences are there?

2. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Minor:
    Subs: Both teams can sub off the bench on injury; on misconduct, both teams can sub players already in position -- but not off bench, ecxept for the replacement player.
    Tape on socks must match sock color, (of concern more some years, than others).
    Bad language is more strictly regulated (how strictly differs by region).

It is important to note that the only significant ball-in-play difference is the throw-in rule. (Ball's not technically in play, but you get what I mean...) 6 feet for throw-in; KO backward; ball hits ref; ball not leaving penalty area on GKs -- all have quickly been added to HS rules after FIFA changes.

3. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    I don't know if this is what you meant by your #2 Subs on certain dead balls - you can't sub on other teams throw in or corner kick unless they are also subbing.

4. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    And of course, the very biggest difference - 2 ref dual system is allowed (at least in my state)

Thegreatwar and voiceoflg repped this.
  5. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    And in some states, three whistles are allowed.

Sorry in advance for opening that Pandora's box.

Thegreatwar and Pittsburgh Ref repped this.
  6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    The NFHS rule book used to have a pretty good chart of differences in the back. Is that no longer there?

frankieboylampard repped this.
  7. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    #7 Pittsburgh Ref, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Getting mine Sunday night. Think it was in 20/21 edition though.

e2a: Negative on chart in 20/21 edition

8. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    #8 Pittsburgh Ref, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Signals to be used for fouls.

Most states have a relatively few such signals.

Some have...more.

e2a: Okay, whoops, I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue. 20/21 edition adds only stop clock and start clock. Barciur and I have to do all the disco stuff from the 2010/2011 edition too.

[​IMG]

Barciur repped this.
  9. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Okay here's the whole shebang. You also have to picture us wearing gridiron-type stripes.

upload_2021-7-15_16-17-58.png

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    That must be an incomplete list . . . I don't see the signals for biting and spitting :ROFLMAO:

voiceoflg repped this.
  11. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    They were chewed out of my copy

voiceoflg repped this.
  12. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then spit out?? :D

13. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Anybody other than PA still doing hand signals for the type of foul, etc.?

14. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Cut and paste!

15. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dropped balls are awarded to last “possessing” team, not the last touch.

DOGSO is a subset of Serious Foul Play.

Taunting is a red card

A dropped ball is award for simultaneously touched ball that goes out for a throw.

Bubble wrap is insufficient to cover casts.

Coaches are “responsible” for bench conduct and can receive misconduct for failing to control the bench and anyone on it.

Rosters can be altered and added to endlessly during a match.

The moment a sub is beckoned they become the player and MUST come on the field. (Hence why you don’t wave on the sub for a yellow carded player until the carded player leaves)

Coaches must be informed why a card was issued.

Im sure I’ll think of more.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  16. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Has anyone ever done this?

17. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    Not really major ones as those have been already been covered...

For KFTM, any rostered player may participate, not just those on the field at the end of the game.

If a player on the field at the end of the 1st is RC'd (ejected) at halftime, their team does not play short to start the 2nd half.

A sub entering the field to join the festivities during a mass con is an automatic RC even if they don't commit VC.

Any use of tobacco, e-cigs, etc. is an automatic YC.

I thought there was something about direct free kick offenses that happen when both players are off the field of play being an IFK, but can't find it at the moment.

Visible undergarments must be of like color for all players on a team, but doesn't have to match uniform color. Visitors' white socks are to be solid white - i've been told solid white also means no colored logo's, etc.

For poor field conditions, prior to kickoff the home AD decides play/no-play. Referee decides after kickoff.

Captain/Coaches meeting for coin toss - must ask head coaches if all players will be legally and properly equipped (thus why they get the first caution for illegal equipment); also supposed to address (mention) sportsmanship.

Some of the NFHS nomenclature (especially for report writing) is a little different. Like DOGSO falls under SFP, in my state straight RC = ejected, 2CT = disqualified, obstruction vs. impeding,

IASocFan repped this.
  18. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Oh please....just hold up a photo of Suarez. :ninja:

RefIADad, Law5 and socal lurker repped this.
  19. OkieZebra

OkieZebra Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    I heard it was the "baby shark" dance.

20. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not me. I think it’s a cop out.

21. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone with no shame and a sense of humor really needs to design a dance to "Macarena", "Electric Slide", or the Hokey Pokey with these signals.

MJ91 and Pittsburgh Ref repped this.
  22. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what happens if you don't use the signals for a foul. Does the world end? Say that you see a player holding an opponent. You blow the whistle for the foul, but the team takes the free kick before you can signal which foul it is. Can they not take the free kick until you signal?

23. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    If you forget the signal, do you stop the clock while you confer with your partner to be reminded what the signal is?

24. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Signal for that is cross your hands to stop the clock and then scratch your head to indicate uncertainty

The world does not end and as a practical matter lots of guys don't use the signals, or use all of them, or use them all the time. At a high level, compliance tracks with not having come to NFHS via USSF.

There's no requirement for players to wait on signal before taking kick, but in practical terms it would be very difficult to kick befor the signal since if you signal it's, like, happening as the sound of your whistle fades. The main thing about the signal is communicating to coaches and your partner(s) what you've called.

The one thing missing from my bingo card is a keeper double-touch. Need platform shoes and big gold chains to pull that one off correctly.

voiceoflg repped this.
  25. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    They are not required here, but I've used them on occasion for that very purpose.