Lionel Messi to MLS?.. The Saga Starts Part 1 [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Kaitlyn, Mar 27, 2023.

1. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the word going around is the MLS PA and MLS Owners have a pending agreement to finance his salary to which ever team he picks. A lot of chatter is around Inter Miami obviously, but LAFC's name has emerged as a potential landing spot as has NYCFC, Red Bull and LA Galaxy.

Can you imagine if Mr. Fisher pays more money to fund his salary to play with another team, then the ENTIRE Quakes roster? I bet heads would flip their shit.

But the other flip side, imagine they make him play for every single team.

I hope he goes to LAFC cementing their super club status and shoving it up everyones ass, including mine.

[​IMG]

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    LAFC was out of the playoffs as recently as 17 months ago. Super Club, my ass.

As for MLS, these are the same a-holes who fixed things to place Baby Judas in LA.

Doesn’t Messi have enough money? Why tarnish himself by associating with Garber and his fellow grifters?

sacrxy, Beerking and Kaitlyn repped this.
  3. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can never have enough money.

4. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Quakes fans have already died and gone to hell and this is our punishment.

So, what stadium will we play in when Messi comes to town?

bsman, Beerking and Kaitlyn repped this.
  5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Likely Levi's (or Stanford if he signs with the Galaxy), but, definitely would prefer PPP, the demand would result in some significant resell prices.

6. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Fisher wants the money in his pocket - not your pocket.

DotMPP repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #7 falvo, Mar 28, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
    I received a lot of backlash just last week on the MLS: News & Analysis board about Messi signing with Miami to play in the small DRV PNK -Lockhart Stadium 18k seat stadium in Ft Lauderdale.

I am sure on the one hand it may be great for the league with marketing, merchandise sales, fans, sponsorships and even TV money.

On the other though, I honestly think he will be a short-lived fix as he is too old and the novelty won’t last.

Maybe Messi is an exception on why an older big name should sign but as a fan, I would rather see the league point to and sign more Under 26 year old superstars instead of almost 40’s.

Also, I don't think it's fair that other owners should have to pay his salary.

Paying for a player on someone else’s team?

If I were another rival owner or Fisher for example, I would not go for it.

Beerking and don gagliardi repped this.
  8. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think all the owners agreed to it... from the sounds of things.

Messi and Ronaldo are thr excpetion to the rule. There commercial value here is bigger then any athlete. It immedietly puts eyes on MLS.

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This sort of exception creates a clown league. Don’t think regular sports fans won’t notice. It is counterproductive. Makes American pro soccer seem like a joke.

Not only is MLS a retirement league but now they’re being open about match fixing. And that’s what this is. Awarding premium pieces to favored clubs while spreading the costs. It won’t stop with Messi.

Once Messi’s shiny smell wears off before the end of his first season, the stench of contrived outcomes will remain for decades.

Roger Allaway, DotMPP, NedZ and 6 others repped this.
  10. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It will never happen. He has a ton of game left in him. So much, that imo, he'll be in the mix for Argentina for WC 2026. He needs to continue to play at the highest level to make that happen....and don't believe him when he says he's done with international ball...Argentina has a great core of young stars....Messi can absolutely have a role in 2026.

Everything in MLS would drive him crazy, the head scratching crap reffing, the travel, turf fields marginally talented teammates... it would be a frustrating demoralizing freak show.

Also it's a grab ass move by Garber...basically a blank check and he gets to choose which team to play for...give me a break...from a competitive legitimacy perspective your league is a f*cking joke.

Imo, he'll restore balance to the force and go back to Barca where he belongs.

bsman repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I see the advantages the league might get to a Messi signing but I don't see how it will help the Quakes.

I mean MLS doesn't play a balanced schedule so there is a very good chance Messi will not show up to play in the Bay Area.

It may help Fisher's profit sharing or whatever but it won't help the Quakes team as a rule.

Beerking repped this.
  12. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So there will be de facto 4 DP slots for all teams now?

13. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he'd be ok with other pockets being lined as well as his.

14. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham worked out ok.

15. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sign him as a player coach and sidestep all of that. 300K (or whatever the non DP minimum is) for his player salary, and 60M for his coaching salary.

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not really.

17. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How so? He brought a dead MLS team back, he did his time here (without controversy) which whatever, he helped lead the Galaxy to a couple championships, he brought a lot of eyes to the league, he was quite successful here during his time, he made players around him. Guys like Donovan and Keane benefited from him.

I see nothing wrong with what he's done here.

Thierry Henry, Didier Drogba, Juan Pablo Angel, Gareth Bale, and Kaka were great for this league. Giorgio Chillieni is another example of a guy who can still play at a high level when called upon, he doesn't complain, he does his job, he's helping young guys around him become better players. I find when these guys come over, if they're willing to put work in and play it out and not bitch, then I'm all for it.

I assume you'd sing a different tune if we had a big name super star come over in the same shoes as other guys like them are in.

Beerking repped this.
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Beckham’s value to the Galaxy in winning titles did not benefit the league. It’s zero sum. Those titles would have been won by someone regardless.

Eyes on the league from Beckham did not lead to sustained increased TV viewership.

The league’s growth has largely been built in a pyramid model of new entrants with ever larger expansion fees.

Success or not in individual markets is highly contextual. Miami with Beckham as owner is not a success while Portland with Merritt Paulson is. Other things beyond Beckham star power is at work.

Beckham was a side show.

DotMPP, Smurfquake and SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  19. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is success only defined by dollars?

Merritt Paulson is a sexual predator and a likely chomo.

Beerking repped this.
  20. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quickly looking up chomo.......................oh my!:eek:

Kaitlyn repped this.
  21. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I figured it was a typo….

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #22 falvo, Mar 28, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
    I also believe the Beckham signing was a circus to a point.

Don Garber and the league sacrificed a great deal to get that one player.

It may have helped the league to a certain extent but it also hindered other clubs.

The LAndy-LA notwithstanding, we were robbed of our championship winning franchise and scandalously.

Juventus was relegated for alleged match fixing which was never proven but what AEG and MLS did to the Quakes was criminal at best.

Most anywhere else in thew world, the players involved will have gone to jail but here they were revered and rewarded.

Anyone who doesn’t recognize this isn’t a true fan of fair play or the game.

AEG did nothing to help the Quakes and they turned around and spent all their money on Beckham only 12 months later.

They didn’t fix games, they fixed the league in their favor.

Vergara had his problems but Beck’s signing also didn’t really help the Chivas USA club.

The league gave Beckham a sweet deal + a free franchise which took 8-10 years to get off the ground.

Miami is still years away from building their own Miami Freedom Park and they are now playing in a small, rebuilt Ft Lauderdale Strikers Lockhart Stadium.

They could have played there 10 years ago as soon as Beckham retired and exercised his expansion option.

The deal was great for David but after the novelty of his signing wore off, many fans were left wondering if he was worth it.

Beckham didn’t change the Galaxy’s fortune in his first 2 years in the league.

As I recall they finished level with the expansion Quakes in 2008 and anywhere else on earth will have been relegated.

I also recall Becks getting into fights with fans, LAndy and he left for AC Milan injuring himself which hindered his team and the league for two years.

I mean his signing may have helped with initial expansion in bringing back the Quakes , Seattle, Portland, Vancouver as well as many other clubs who followed but I still think AEG and the league could have spent their money and resources differently and had more success had they done so back in 2007.

23. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that was my first thought, but, it also sounded like something new on the menu at Taco Bell.

But, why isn't it "chimo"?

Beerking and don gagliardi repped this.
  24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Words can have multiple meanings.

“I’ll have a chalupa and a Merrill Paulson, please.” :)

25. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your comment has no "merit". ;)

don gagliardi repped this.