Lionel Messi Heading for Argentina World Cup Catastrophe, Fears Diego Maradona

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by ihatewaiting4years, Jul 3, 2014.

1. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...na-world-cup-catastrophe-fears-diego-maradona

he's got a point. as always the media will blame the superstar should his team fail. the haters will say it's messi's fault, when messi is the reason why argentina has made it this far. i seriously fear that they could face elimination real soon if someone else doesn't step up. what happens when messi gets tired and can't be superman anymore? someone step up besides angelito....kun? pipita?

2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #2 Rattlehead, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    He wont be blame as much as in 2010 because he already won them 4 matches. Yea we also won 4 consecutive games in 2010 but Messi has 0 goals. This time he has 4 goals and assisted the winner in the last game. In fact if we do go all the way, Messi already won us more than half of the tournament.

The fact is, everybody could see the big flaw on this team throughout the tournament therefore Messi will not take all the blame. He was being blamed almost entirely in 2010 because regardless of having a bad manager, people blamed him because he failed to score any.

Also, didnt Diego left the stadium before Messi struck the winner against Iran? that proof he doesnt have faith on his country's team. As a supporter myself, I was frustated with the way they're playing but for me its not over until it's really over!

Look at Italy in 2006, late gift winner in second round against Australia, goals in 119 & 120 minutes against Germany, won the final on penalty shootout. But that's what champion are made of. If all their fans having same attitude as Diego's shown here, they might have given up after that second round game.

All team needs LUCK in World cup (or in any tournament). Do people forget that Holland strucked an equalizer in 82 mins in 1978? and they hit the freakin post at injury time! and then Menotti said during the break, "Holland's moment had gone, we're the World champion!" . Plus, Kempes didnt score a single goal at group stage.

canis repped this.
  3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    First of all, Argentina can win.

Second, if they don't win, anybody who blames Messi for it is an idiot and/or a hater. Messi is the main reason they made it to the final eight.

4. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agreed that a team needs luck to win the cup. In my opinion it's part of the equation. In my opinion order to win the world cup you need world class players+right philosophy/tactics+right manager that knows how to get the best out of his players and keep the locker inspired+luck.

I think Argentina right now has the players. I think it's fair to say most supporters of La Albiceleste aren't sure if Sabella is the right guy. Do the tactics fit the team? I think so. Is the locker room happy? We don't know. Di Maria stepped up last game. It's barely enough though. There's no reason why such a talented team is struggling to put away inferior opponents. Argentina should be averaging at least 2 goals a game considering all the fire power they have.

5. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So what do you think about Germany failed to beat Ghana, conceiding 2 goals in the process, won by narrow margin against USA, needs extra time to beat Algeria? didnt everybody think they're going dominate every game after the first game?

What about Brazil that needs "help" agaisnt Croatia, goaless against Mexico, needs a shootout in second round? 2 Mexican goals disallowed is the reason why they're still in the tournament.

What about France failing to score against Ecuador and couldnt find the net against NIgeria until 5 minutes from time?

Did Holland beat Mexico conviencingly? no they needed a penalty at 90 minutes !

What about Uruguay, Italy, England, Spain, Portugal?

When people will finally give credit for the underdogs for playing well in this tournament? it seems that everyone just wanna blame the big team for failing to play good football. The gap between the underdog and the top dog are so narrow in this WC, that's the truth.

The park the bus strategy is currently a trend that bring huge success, look at Inter milan in 2010, Chelsea 2012, Atletico madrid last season. Even Barcelona and RM who has every quality struggled against it.

6. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You make a good point. The gap between the big dogs and puppies has closed. Do you honestly think though that Iran would be able to stand toe to toe with Argentina? Parking the bus can make bad teams look better than what they really are. Brazil definitely received assistance from the refs against Croatia. Croatia isn't a bum though. Ghana is close to being a world power. France didn't have anything to play for against Ecuador. They had already secured 1st place in group E. Nigeria is really tough. They always have been.

7. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What about Holland and Germany performance in second round? Germany looks great against USA and Ghana?
    Yea Nigeria always tough as you said, we beat them too right?

Just rolled back to 1 month ago, everyone putting Spain as no.2 fav to reach the final. Their great performance in last 5 years surely help now?

WC isnt always win by the so called "best" team. 2006 Italy scrapped their way to glory with injury time penalty against Australia, 120 mins goal against Germany and shootout win against France.

To say we're heading to catastrophe is taking it too far for now.

8. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes all true. Diego exaggerated by saying elimination would be a catastrophe. Being eliminated in the quarter-finals isn't a disaster, but certainly is starting to become a nuisance no? If the overall best team was supposed to win the world cup, then Brazil would have won it in 2006. Germany wasn't better than Argentina in 1990. I've never said that talent is a problem though. I'm just saying that others on the team need to start playing up to their potential and help out Messi. There will come a day when superman plays poorly. Credit to Argentina's defense for keeping clean sheets, but the team in general is living on the edge.

Just for the record I never believed Spain was going to make it past the group stage. You can check my predictions in the prediction contest on the tournament general page.

9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #9 Rattlehead, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    Well, I didnt pointing at you for that Spain prediction, merely pointing at people in general that tend to based their prediction on past performance while in reality, not even previous match performance can be taken for granted.

Playing great football early in tournament will only give you bigger preasure at later stage because people expectation would be much higher.

This is not the same with 2010 team where they've been beaten 6-1, 3-1 or 2-0 in qualifier, the 4-0 lost at QF its only about time. Since Sabella took over , this team only lost twice in competitive games and one of them when we already secured the ticket and fielded second strings, the other was when he just took over the team. Maradona 2010 team in comparison....

One thing I noticed in last 3 years is that Sabella side somehow managed to avoid losses all the time, even when playing badly they managed to secured a point. In this WC, that mentallity shows. Hopefully that will continue.

ihatewaiting4years repped this.
  10. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is a good quality to have. With Diego it was either boom or bust. With Sabella things have been steadier, safer, more consistent. He's done a good job of hiding the weaknesses in the defense.

11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We did fine in qualifier, we finished 1st place scoring 35 goals. Something happen once we reach this WC, Kun was injured on 4 occassions while playing for City, Pipita suffered ankle injury prior to Napoli's final game and both of them clearly lacking their usual pace. The fact that Kun finally succumbed to his injury in third match proof he's not fit at all. Defence isnt as bad as people made it out, I've seen many other games and both sides always has their chances regardless how good the opponent defence. Our main problem is actually our attack that just failed to work out till now. Midfield is slow but we're not as vulnurable as in 2010.

France today, I think has about as many chances as Germany. Their GK made the difference but their defenders couldnt stopped France attackers from finding space to shoot.

12. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Neuer is the reason Germany won today. He's just amazingly good. I think Argentina matches up better with Argentina this year than in 2010. Germany tends to expose their defense too much and they lack speed in the back 4. I actually think Argentina plays better when their opponent controls possession and Argentina can counter-attack with their speed. The midfield is a little more compact and better this time. In 2010 Diego straight up ignored the midfield. Kun is mostly likely done for the rest of the tournament?