Linux: never better than Windows

Discussion in 'Technology' started by noaihmtch, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead we've got people willing to pay for and "upgrade" so their computer can run correctly in the first place.

2. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
  3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So true, but then I have yet to see the perfect system yet.

4. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are.

Look at Red Hat's success - 40% growth quarter over quarter. A market cap of over $5Billion, and hugely profitable.

Look at Lindows, who's "for pay" distro is gaining steam in the retail chain.

Look at boxed versions of SuSE and Mandriva and Xandros and Mepis, which sell briskly (even though free versions are available).

As for Windows - people are willing to pay for it because they are forced to. It's what comes with their PCs. Almost nobody buys the boxed versions of Windows. In fact, most non-technical users wouldn't know the first thing about installing an OS.

Linux is a spectacular success, plain and simple. It's growing relatively slowly (as compared to it's growth on the server) on the desktop, due to market dominance of Windows, which has all the software and hardware markets targeting it. That's a very tough nut to crack. But LInux continues to grow there, mostly from word of mouth, and very satisfied users.

5. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
  6. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    what a joke. Mr Gates has helped and saved the U.S. government's ass many times already and now the government is trying to destroy the Gates empire because it's becoming too big for them to control... paying one's kindness and best effort with betrayal is the most unethical thing that a mankind would do in the first place. not only the u.s. but many other nations especially europe must pay for their stupidity of putting so much burden and disadvantage on innocent Microsoft employees. i just hope the day Mr. Gates claim indepenence of the U.S. will come soon.

7. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
  8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I have tried it, and I have tried the FireFox and Opera beta's as well and I prefer Firefox. I am also not the only one, or didn't you read the article?

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What are you blathering on about now troll?

Gates and his illegal monopoly are guilty of anti-trust violations. Something that he continues to illegally do.

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

WAHHH!! 100% of the world doesn't use Windows!
    WAHHH!! There's other browsers besides IE!
    WAHHH!! Microsoft has competition!

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried out IE 7 and it still sucks. It still can't rended CSS properly and still has problems with other functions. Oooh, it's got tabs now. woopdie doo.

For a PC the best browser is Firefox.

12. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    It's a beta, first of all. I still haven't had any problems with it.

13. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you run it on Linux, Mac, and Windows? Can you install functionality extensions - or even write your own? If there is a bug, can you fix it yourself? Can you set it up to share your bookmarks between different computers? Can it remember what windows and tabs you had open last time, and automatically restore all those windows and tabs? Can you run it off of a thumb drive - thus ensureing that you have *your* personalized set up available on any computer that has a USB port?

Until IE addresses those concerns, I'll stick with Firefox. It's just a better product, hands down. Thanks, tho.

14. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flock is a beta, Firefox was beta for the longest time and there are lots of other browsers that were in beta and they worked TONS better than IE. Any version of IE.

You'd think with all the time they've had they at least want to release a browser that could render css properly. It's not like it's something new and nobody uses.

15. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I agree with you on this..but how many people actually care for those things?

16. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooooh Ooooh, me me.

Well, sort of.

Y'know, I've been an Opera user since 6.01 and I've watched Firefox catch up to it feature-wise while IE 6 just stagnates. I haven't looked at IE7 yet but unless I have to support another potential rendering model (nightmare) I simply have no reason to. Opera is free. Firefox is free. I can do everything I want to do in Opera. IE has created so many little, frustrating problems over it's existence Microsoft should have to pay some sort of penance for at least one version before I'll accept it. (btw, my favorite was when a client applied a patch to ie and the patch contained a .dll that caused half the machines to render custom programming forms incorrectly).

17. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *raises hand, then points out how active the mozillazine forums are*

18. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You haven't lived until you've got a setup where your work PC, home PC, laptop, and thumbdrive all have the same bookmarks... automatically. Bookmark something at work, and it's there when you fire up Firefox at home, no fuss, no "social bookmarking" website - it's just right there in "Bookmarks".

That, my friends, is living large.

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In IE 7, even when you're viewing one screen with no tabs, you still see the tab for the one screen. In other words, no way to get rid of the tab bar.

It has tabs, but they're very basic. Bill Gates f'ed up by not having tabs in 6.0.

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me. What if there's a power outage and you've got 10 tabs open? Extensions rock something fierce (can IE block advertisements?) And the ability to put it on a thumb drive sounds pretty nice.

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says the guy who's building his own 1.5TB home entertainment server. ;)

22. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the little things that make life worth living.

I have to admit, when I created the Linux RAID partitions on the two RAID5 arrays and they showed only 750GB, I had a "I built this too small" moment.

24. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is the best linux to mess around with on a clean install computer?

I just want to mess around with it and see how it works on my parents' old computer, which version (free obviously) would be the easiest/best?

thanks

25. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States