Lineup v Jamaica (Gold Cup Q-finals)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by galaxyfan03, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Yeah, they have the results in the Competitions section...

http://www.ussoccer.com/teams/teamhome_custom.sps?iType=265&icustompageid=13280&mtype=8215

They have the following lineup:

Keller
    Cherundolo
    Pope
    Bocanegra
    Ralston
    Zavagnin
    Convey (Hejduk, 72)
    Donovan - 2
    Wolff (Noonan, 64)
    McBride (Capt.) - 1
    Beasley (Dempsey, 86)

This doesn't have positions, but I seem to recall Cherundolo holding down a spot in a 3-man backline...which is what influenced my lineup selection. I think Hejduk came on for Convey late in the game with a lead and it switched to a 4-man back line. Anyone else remember this?

Which reminds me, if Hejduk were available, he most certainly be at left back...otherwise, a 3-man backline with two-way players on the wings is the best option.

2. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That personnel would seem to lend itself to the following lineup:

--------Keller

Cher Pope Boca Convey

--------Zavagnin
    Ralston ------------Beasley
    --------Donovan

------McBride Wolff

This is particularly true since Arena has been using Convey at left back a lot recently. (Of course, he's also been using Beasley more centrally as well, so who knows.)

Anyway, my guess is that it was a 4-4-2.

3. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    I seem to remember Beasley as a forward in this game...

I think I'll download the game video and watch it...since now I'll go nuts until I remember for sure.

4. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Ok I found the match report for espn soccernet...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=334973&cc=5901

About halfway down...

U.S. coach Bruce Arena switched formations, starting three forwards instead of two and three defenders instead of four. He did it partly to get his players into an attacking mind-set and partly because of injuries.

Regardless of what happened before, I think Stevie C can handle it, especially with two-mids in front of him. Given the personell we have available, there aren't too many other options really...

5. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Convey wasn't listed as a left back but he really was the left back. He just didn't stay back all that much. Pretty similar to the qualifier last Sept against El Salvador.

Bease was allowed to roam free.

That's Arena's 4-4-2 against a team that is going to try and bunker all game. Donovan scored early and CR had to try and score. Convey was forced to defend at that point.

6. TheDread

TheDread Member

Aug 17, 2004
    The Jamaica team you guys will face have not had alot of time to practice together, hence the sometimes disorganization in defence and errant passes. Still, they seem to be coming along. The team the USA faces will be far stronger in defense and offense than the team the Mexicans faced. Also, this new coach has a much firmer grasp on his players, game management, strategy, and tactics than our previous Brasilian coach. It should be a must see game. Good luck to you...but not too much.

Peace

7. Beast_Ed

Beast_Ed Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Boston MetroWest
    The Jamaica team is motivated, dangerously fast on the dribble, nothing to lose, and will fight for the win.

I predict a bunch of cards, injuries, and a qualifier-feel. I hope US can maintain possession with the physical and fast play of the Jamaicans.

Bruce will play his fastest, most trustworthy, most rested bunch ...

Beastie Eddy

--
    *Complete the SOCCER SURVEY*
    https://www.quickbase.com/db/baqwa3ay6?a=nwr

8. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    boy i'm just quaking in my boots...NOT

Jamaica knows they are outmatched and if they win it's going to be an upset.

9. crunky

crunky Member

Jul 2, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, nobody told that to Cuba last week?

The US team still has to show up, and their defense is weakened at the moment (Frankie out, Pope & Sanneh not 100%). I think Bruce's strategy will be more attack-oriented than any of the previous Gold Cup games, go for the early goals and then bunker down. There are more long-term questions on offense for the US, so I think that's where the focus on these next matches should be.

10. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA

4-1, tough score, just squeaked by. I didn't say it would be "EASY" i said they know they are the underdogs, I am assuming that BA is going to try to win, that is give the A-team lineup

11. Steel Keeper

Steel Keeper Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    As he said. It was a 3.5-4.5-2. Convey was playing a wing-back role until Donovan scored when he moved back to almost an exclusive left back position. Beasley played "The Earnie" and wasn't particularly successful although it was his first game back from injury.

But I digress:

Keller
    Dolo Gooch Conrad Vanney
    Pablo
    Dempsey DMB
    JOB
    Donovan Quaranta

12. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I missed that... did Cuba beat the US?

13. I say we ride KK as far as he'll take us. He'll have had over 80 hours rest since CRC, which wasn't the toughest challenge he's had to face.

14. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    keller
    dolo conrad gooch vanney
    mastroeni JOB
    donovan beasley
    wolff dempsey

I can't see arena going three in the back against a side like jamaica who has all that team speed....

plus, usa needs to getting attacking speed out there unlike last wednesday

15. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
  16. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    WorkLoad & Resting for Semis and Finals: Those who played Sat (Can) and Tues (CR) should not be playing at all - Just too many minutes in a short time - Those who played on only Tues (CR) should be able to do OK by Sat

Semi Final is not until next Thurs so there is time for a rest - But the Final is only 3 days later -

I know its one game at a time and we HAVE TO WIN

I'd hope for a strong B+ or A- team - Sorta like against Cuba but with two more regulars - Seven to Eight Regulars (out of the top 13/14):

Beasley - He should do well on the Outside since Jamainca typically lacks a disciplined Def and will forget about him - Then he'll score)

Two to Three new players, incl Hahnemann: Quaranta;

Some of the new players have already played two games and did well in the 2nd - Save these as Strategic Subs: Olsen

Strategic Matchups: Jamaica is not necessarily skilled and disciplined anywhere on the field, but they can exert a physical presence and have some speed up top - Quaranta (and Noonan ?) should survive well against their Def - And Beasley should be forgotten by their outside Def

17. TheDread

TheDread Member

Aug 17, 2004

Beasley is a brilliant player (argueably the best American player) and should do well. However, this Jamaica team will be vastly more disciplined than the past teams - they will not forget Beasly or Donovan for a minute.

18. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    1. amen to your line-up.

2. I only read the first page worth of line-up guesses, but they left me wondering what some people are thinking. seriously, its knock-out phase time, we haven't dominated against weaker opponents, and posters are still thinking experimental line-ups? what gives big soccer people?

quaranta?
    hahneman?
    noonan? (yeah I posted somewhere else that I thought he had a better looking future with the nats than twellman, but based off his gold cup play I rescind that)

19. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I believe Quaranta will play, other wise we would have seen him against Costa Rica.

20. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judging from Arena's comments:

The midfield: Ralston, Mastroeni or Armas, O'Brien, Beasley.

The defense: Cherundolo, Onyewu, Conrad (which of these CBs line up left?), Vanney (he didn't say anything really negative about him).

That leaves, in front: Donovan and Wolff or Noonan (who often lines up on the left for the Revs).

I get the feeling that O'Brien will be called upon more and more to be our No. 10. And, I fully expect that he will be our No. 10 in the August qualifier!

21. mtr8967

mtr8967 New Member

Aug 15, 2003
    Bruce's use of Quaranta confused me - I really expected to see him against Costa Rica. Either the one game was so good he decided to save him for the knockout stage or so bad he lost interest. Or, more likely, his camp performance was very dramatic (one way or the other) and Bruce made up his mind. Perhaps he's got an unreported injury but that seems very unlikely.

22. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judging by today's note from US Soccer, there will be no Pope, Sanneh (THANK GOD!!) or Davis.

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=200159&itype=113&icategoryid=75

Here's my best "final" guess:

------------------------------Keller--------------------------
    Cherundolo--------Onyewu------------Conrad----------Vanney
    ----------------------------Mastroeni------------------------
    --Ralston-------------------------------------------Beasley--
    -------------------------------JOB---------------------------
    -------------Donovan-------------------------Wolff-----------

Subs: Dempsey, Olsen & Quaranta.

I would rather see JOB at LM, Beasley at RM, Donovan at AM & Quaranta at F. I just think that Donovan is better suited to play at AM but with our lack of forwards, I can see Donovan at forward.

It should be interesting to see JOB, Beasley & Donovan on the field at the same time. Hopefully, Wolff will do his part. Also, hopefully, Onyewu & Conrad can handle the speed & physical play of the Jamaican forwards.

23. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  24. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True enough!! Sorry about jumping the gun. Guess I just interpreted as what I WANTED to believe the article said.

After re-reading the article, it would appear that Davis is definitely out & Pope is a BIG question mark. However, Sanneh might still play (God help us)!!

I'm still hoping that Quaranta gets a shot, whether starting or as a sub, v Jamaica!!

25. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Just can't see how it couldn't be Quaranta - unless Beas in gonna play on the right. Didn't Ralston play the last TWO matches???