liga MX femenil

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by ceezmad, Dec 5, 2016.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess liga MX is going to run a women's league.

I am not sure about the details.

805882936209920002 is not a valid tweet id

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #2 SiberianThunderT, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    That's definitely interesting... Especially since Mexico technically already has a top-flight WoSo league.

I clicked on a few of the news articles in that Twitter feed, and some points:
    --The LMXF will run fall-spring
    --All 18 LMX teams will participate
    --All LMXF teams will have rosters of at least 21 players, none of whom will be foreign (excepting dual nationals)
    --All LMXF players should be at least 23 years old with the exception of up to four players per team who must be at least 17
    ==EDIT==
    Actually I'm seeing conflicting info on the age thing... One article says "al menos 23", while another says "Sub 23". The second article seems to make more sense, since both articles also list that there are two "free age" player slots per team. So I'm thinking this might be a mostly U23 league with some U17 players and a small spattering of any-age players. Could still be that you have two "free age" slots + four slots for ages 17-22 and the rest at least 23 (which would seem to suggest not conflicting with NCAA), but I'm confused.
    ==EDIT2==
    According to the ever-connected Dan Lauletta, sounds like it's the U23 interpretation:

I have yet to see where this leaves the Super Liga Femenil or the Liga Mayor Femenil.

gricio61 repped this.
  3. pauley

pauley Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Probably already has more press coverage than the Super Liga in the past years. :D

4. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I guess, they will lose out the U23 players, but get them back when they "graduate". Hopefully Liga MX Femenil pays their players a "livable" wage.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good step in the right direction.

8. arreola

arreola Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago
    Does an American/Mexican H.S. player lose NCAA eligibility by playing in this league for 1-2 years if not getting paid?

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    as long as a player remains as an 'amateur status' he or she will remain eligible. Just got to watch out for what a pro club offers; their can give compensation like travel, room & board, but not sure of an allowance

10. pauley

pauley Member

Feb 11, 2015
    gricio61 repped this.
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Glad to see Tijuana is keeping its women's section strong; they participated in WPSL in summer 2015, then won a Mexican tournament of some sort the following winter. Not sure what they did in the interim, though their tied-top goalscorer in this tournament was with them in their WPSL days as well.

Also: hey, look, it's Monica Ocampo! She must be one of Pachuca's overage players. Really good pickup by them if that's the case.

12. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we're amidst the first round for the season. Here's the weekly fixture list:

http://www.ligafemenil.mx/cancha/calendarios

Living in San Diego, I am a Tijuana fan, but I don't know spanish. All our home match times are listed as "HC" and "HL". Does anybody speak spanish and know what that means?

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  13. pauley

pauley Member

Feb 11, 2015
    The salary cap is 140$/month by the way. Also there are some strange contracts in play. Don't become pregnant and don't ever say you are homosexual.

http://remezcla.com/sports/liga-mx-femenil-pregnancy-homosexuality/

Sports related only Pachuca and America have won all of their first four matches. Top two in each group move on to the semi-finals.

14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    over 23K fans at this game. Over 138K viewed the match all ready over at youtube in just eleven hours. One hour pre game show. What the bleep is going?

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm way late to answer on this, but I'm guessing "hora central" and "hora local" or something to that effect, as Baja California is the lone Mexican state that's two time zones west of Mexico's central time zone. I don't think are any teams in the mountain or eastern time zones, so I think that's why only Tijuana's home games are listed with two times like that, but I'd have to check my Mexican geography to be sure.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  16. Mojo Jambo

Mojo Jambo Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything on a new NT coach? I mean it's been a year and a half since Cuellar departed.

17. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ligafemenil.mx/cancha/calendarios

Kind of answered my own question, but STT's post pretty much answers it. I googled HC and HL with re: to Mexico and got this headache here, which had HC as "hora civil", where, according to STT's post, it's likely "hora central".

I gotta get on down there next season.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I didn't find this info at the time you asked, but apparently Roberto Medina was appointed interim coach this past January and at some point became full-time coach.

gricio61 and Mojo Jambo repped this.
  19. Pasionporeltri1

Chivas
    Mexico
    Oct 29, 2017
    final is Chivas vs Pachuca! chivas ins undefeated right now in 11 games

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm kinda surprised to see that Tijuana finished as far down the ladder as they did, after having won a previous champions the other year and come in 2nd in the cup competition this past spring...

21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's extended high lights of the 1st leg game of the finals. over 28K in attendance

judging by the good crowds, the league in it's 1st year has been successful, but not without controversy; only if you were originally born in Mexico, were you allowed to play in it. This of course excluded about a 3rd of their NT(as they born in the US with Mexican heritage)

gricio61 and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #22 hotjam2, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    here's the 2nd leg game as Chivas did one better by winning 3-0 & even stronger crowd of 32K.. Pachuca has a few well known NT's like Ocampo & Nieto, Not sure about the champs' Chivas, but their best one seems to be their mid, Morales(#10). Heard that their GK, Felix, has a modeling career as well. Not the prettiest or highest quality of soccer, but played in tough Mexican fashion. Still, nice to see so many come support woso club soccer as compared to the supposed prestigious Champions League. where attendance seem to be very lack luster
    highlights

most of the 2nd half & victory ceremony

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Here's an interesting addendum to the attendance numbers, thanks to WorldSoccerMag:

The two games of the final averaged over 30k each and the four games of the semis averaged over 10k each, which are relatively good numbers, though apparently for the final at least (and maybe the semis?) tickets for women were free. That probably didn't affect the attendance too much - most of those fans still probably would have come anyway - though it does hurt the gate profit not insignificantly. Hopefully numbers that like mean advertisers and TV deals can come through, though, and that fanbases are established enough to get full pricing later. These players need to get paid respectably.

I'm most interested, though, in the fact that the season average is also stated, which I haven't seen anywhere else yet. A bit over 2,700/match, so definitely less than the NWSL average even if you exclude the outlier of Portland, though still well ahead of the FA WSL. Since I've had such little luck finding LMXF attendances in general, does someone closer to the league want to comment if there are haves and have-nots for attendance in LMXF as well? i.e. if there are clubs in LMXF getting attendances well over 3x the league average?

Smallchief and gricio61 repped this.
  24. arreola

arreola Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago
    I followed those numbers somewhat and every round had at least 1-2 games with numbers at 8-10,000 attending games. A few games I remember being in the 20,000-25,000s.
    The Monterey teams I would guess had the better attendance along with America.
    Players were making about 30,000 pesos a month, the most, which comes out to about 1,600 dollars but plus bonuses.
    This next season I think they said they are allowing American born Mexican players and they are now allowing teams to play vs every other team in League. First season was regional only with 2 conferences and only top 2 advancing to semis from each.
    They said both changes are coming earlier because of the good response from their fan base.

25. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody live in San Diego? How does one get tickets? Is there a box office at the stadium?