Liga das Nações 2022

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by JoseEmidio, May 20, 2022.

?

Portugal vai vencer o grupo

1. Sim

77.8%
  2. Não

22.2%
  1. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    We play better without Ronaldo, and without Otavio and Vitinho, too.

2. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You forgot Andre Silva, Jota, Felix, Moutinho, Carvalho, and Bruno, lol.

Let the pipe dream go. Ronaldo is here to stay for the World Cup. Let’s prepare with him included.

3. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I just can’t understand how this coach can’t see what everyone sees as clearly obvious . Some of these players (as mentioned) have had plenty of chance and have failed . With the depth we have , starting these players makes zero sense . Having them on the bench instead of others is one thing but actually starting them is another

4. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He must of known we have not beaten them at their home in 30 years he should of started a different formation. why send Ronaldo home on the last game is that last game going to make him fresher for the World Cup?
    At least when he is on the pitch in around their area he panics them and they double up on him that leaves someone else free

5. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Fernando Santos lacked respect for his rival. Played the B team, what was expected? Otavio, Silva, Mendes, there's no place in the team. Weak coach, the World Cup is going to be another shame

JoseEmidio and trebaruna repped this.
  6. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Ronaldo playing today would not have made a difference if we started the same other players . Ronaldo needs to be served chances. The lineup we had in the first half had zero creativity .

7. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    The difference is that you won't find very people who will agree that the aforementioned players presence, or lack of it, will entirely change a game's outcome like some people do for Ronaldo.
    There's still the "PLaying without Ronaldo" psychological barrier. Some people will revert to the "if Ronaldo had played..." or "Portugal didn't win because Ronaldo wasn't on the field", even if Ronaldo's impact on the game has been mostly meager.

8. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    I'm afraid we shouldn't get our hopes high for the WC.

9. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    This. Ronaldo only shows once every 5 games or less nowadays. He would have done even less than André Silva (who I believe didn't do too bad given the context)

JoseEmidio and money11 repped this.
  10. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    So that’s what you got out of my post ? Lol

11. money11

money11 Member

Apr 15, 2007
    ive been a big leao advocate but in all honesty he has been extremely disappointing these couple of games, looks like he's trying to do to much. its one thing when bruno fernandes has a bad game but i just cant stand his body language he just whines and moans the entire game kinda how ronaldo does only difference is ronaldo is one of the greatest to ever touch a football so he should get a pass. i don't really understand all the vitinha slander i thought he played well, you can tell he is skillfull and positive, he looks to go forward i think him and bernardo in the mid field would be a great partnership. overall it was just one of those games, we could have easily won this game but things weren't falling in our favour. considering these games are basically tune ups why not give other CB a look? in these last 4 games that's the one thing i just cant understand.... you would rather play danilo out of position for FOUR GAMES? santos disappointing.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  12. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's a really bad loss following 3 good showings. A win tonight would have solidified our position for the semis and shown we are a consistent team. A tie would have been a set back but this loss negates the previous 3 games and we are a team that wins or loses mostly on luck. It's Sad but clearly Bruno should not start, we desperately need Ronaldo and Renato and all the "darlings" are all hype. Jota and Bernardo, guedes and cancelo are the only guys giving a shit to win

JoseEmidio and eurodad repped this.
  13. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Everyone needs to chill. I personally think we’re in a better spot than we were a few months ago and the team is slowly building. A goal after minute really throws the whole game plan out the window, I will say Bruno is really in horrific form. I don’t believe he should be an auto starter.

14. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This Nations League is giving us a newer version of Jota and i am loving it.

Hopefully he continues with the great form because if that strike late in the game had gone in, it would have been his greatest goal in a Portugal shirt.

It's a good thing we are noticing who our good players are right now because this will prepare us for the World Cup. It's better to make our mistakes now and learn from them.

15. Caldo Verde

Caldo Verde Member

None
    Portugal
    Feb 3, 2018
    #240 Caldo Verde, Jun 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    lol almost every player isn't good enough for the team according to you crackpots.

A great example. Nuno Mendes has no place in the team? Sure.

16. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    @SCP_16 iv been eagerly awaiting your reply to Area 51’s vitinha post. Don’t disappoint me

17. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I will not be chilling, what we saw today is reality. Lest we forget, World Cup 2018 + euro 2020= 10gp, 2W (Hungary and Morocco). Even in the euro 2016 victory we struggled to pull W’s with the exception of the Wales match.

For me, an abysmal Germany side smashing us in the group stage was the last straw. To me that is still more embarsssing than finishing second to Serbia

18. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Can't find the post. Where is it?

19. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    As expected, the Portuguese cucks on Reddit are taking about how “lucky” Switzerland was and berating their time wasting. Is it really luck when your only chance prior to the 70th minute is a corner kick? Sure we had a few chances after the 70th once the donkeys were removed, but if you only begin to create chances after the 70th then you aren’t unlucky you just suck.

Regarding the time wasting, it was hilarious seeing the coach complain about the added time. Brah you literally wasted 70 minutes before making adequate changes to play the match. Sit your dumbass down

20. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Page 5

21. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Best product since Ronaldo?!

[​IMG]

prodigal_mind repped this.
  22. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So many hot takes in this thread over one game to try and put down other posters; we played shit, end of.

Everyone ready to dump on Vitinha for example, but this game doesn't revoke the entirety of his body of work throughout the season and the quality he's shown. In terms of being a top quality player he has everything to be a world class CM.

He was still better then anyone else on the pitch not named Pepe or Danilo, which also speaks volume of our performance.

How did everyone's favourites Leao and Mendes perform? Not great is putting it lightly. If people watched them for the first time today they'd believe Serie A was the Andorran league if he was voted player of the year, and that Mendes must have played half drugged...failing 5 yard passes throughout the entire game, and barely being able to dribble with the ball. A lot of players only showed flashes of their quality in one or two moments, and generally played awful.

Jota and Bernardo made a big difference coming on...that's about it. Guedes and Fernandes were dreadful, the former has no brain or IQ with his head constantly down, and the latter just continues his downward spiral. It's almost tragic to watch.

What's disappointing is how almost no one used this as an opportunity to grab a place over these 4 games:

Andre Silva not showing he's a viable option vs Jota

Leao not staking a claim to being a starter, really lethargic displays.

Bruno Fernandes not showing he can dictate play and be a creative force in the midfield for us.

Guedes showing he still his faults in his game, not making smart decisions and failing to be dangerous

Mendes showing that the difference between him and Gurreiro is nowhere near as big as everyone makes out if both are fully healthy. Today was truly poor. Must already be looking forward to the Maldives.

Even Ruben Neves was very poor today, contradicting the last couple games, which I'm sure will hinder Santos starting him due to his inherent cautious nature.

23. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Agree, with almost the entire post.

Especially things other had not mentioned like Mendes being terrible and not for the first time. Gurreiro at his worst is nowhere near as bad as Mendes at his worst, although Mendes can still be greater than Gurreiro, who has stagnated.

André Silva not taking his chance where he should of scored and thus not advancing his prospects.

Article:
    https://www.publico.pt/2022/06/12/desporto/cronica_de_jogo/portugal-suica-cabeca-ferias-2009816

On Leão, according to this article he is like Ronaldo in not coming back and was at fault in not helping Mendes in the Swiss goal. In the game though he was the only one that 'scored', in which André Silva being offside cancelled it, i.e. he was the only player to put the ball in the Net. Was he good No, but it is his third or fourth game, I think he he hás got too much of the blame.

Agree with Área 51 and the article on Vitinha.

24. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  25. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    To me a lot of this is the usual suspect -- Santos. Poor effort, decisions, unclear roles, that's all on him. What is he teaching/asking for from them, all of them pros with many of them having big time big game experience? There's more to the story, there has to be, stuff like this isn't explainable otherwise. Still, all these lineup changes seem like something. I still believe.

I go hot and cold with Jota. He is explosive, gets right into the attack, but he bungles chances. But his aggression I like. Why do we always have to rely on the law of averages, i.e. "sooner or later they'll start kicking ass, they can't be mediocre forever"?

Agree that Ronaldo is going to be there no matter what, so while we all have good reason to see the post-CR7 as exciting, he's part of the mix. He's lost a step (or three) but his instincts and presence still are there. Media and casual fans won't appreciate or even comprehend a Portuguese side without him but the players on the other end will. You can't deny we have talent, but that conversation is down the road.

Last thing is be glad we are hated. The day we become the hip or vogue team will truly suck.

artielange84 repped this.