Liga Bwin 2023-24 - General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by fdasilva, Jul 5, 2023.

1. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    At least it makes for a stress free Monday night :)

2. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    In before we win 5-4 with 4 frangos from Adan

SCP_16 repped this.
  3. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    6-0! Geny gets in on the scoring party

4. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    These goals really do matter though, we've gone from a -3 GD versus Benfica to currently a +3.

So this is exactly what we've needed

5. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    8-0 final. Demolition

6. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Couldn't even hit double digits. Amorim out.

7. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Damn bro, easy on the Amorim guzzling. Titles are won in May.

8. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Lol so predictable, the only dude that is still miserable, even after an 8-0 win.

9. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Miserable? Not at all. Literally posted early about how dominant this team is. Just simply pointing out the fact that the season is played out until May.

10. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Damn bro, easy on the team guzzling. Titles are won in May

11. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm a fan of the team, so guzzling them, absolutely.

The Amorim guzzling as if this dude is our savior and he's won us a ton of titles is a bit puzzling. I get to though. The last 20+ years have been dog shit, so he wins one league title and everyone wants to slob him. He needs to win it this year, otherwise, it'll just be another failure.

12. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    You do understand that Amorim built this team right? You understand that the team you're "guzzling" is guzzle-able because of him right? You do understand that winning a league is a pretty big accomplishment when you compare the financial power of the big 3 right? I know he has been by far, with no one even close, the most successful manager in your lifetime. I know complaining and demanding people be fired is kind of your trademark, but god damn, what does this dude have to do to win you over.

13. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

I'm not complaining or demanding he be fired. I'm just trying to understand why Sporting fans are satisfied with moral victories and why, to them, moral victories are enough to slob this dude home dry. They act like he's a god.

I get it, he's built this team (we assume he has since no one here knows the inner workings of scouts, other coaches, etc ), he's changed the culture of this team, etc.

But at the end of the day, all that matters, is a league title. When he gets that, I'll guzzle him all day. Until then, to me, he's got a bit more to prove.

14. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    You've demanded he be fired multiple times dude. And he has won a league title. Didn't know the minimum for guzzling was two league titles. Noted. I'm excited to see what happens if theres ever a manager that gets three.

No one is saying he's perfect, I personally don't even think he's the best manager in Portugal. But moving away from the only manager that has provided stability and consistent, high quality performances at this club seems like a pretty big mistake. All for what, to get Artur Jorge?

Gotta be honest, it kind of blows my mind that you can't understand why fans are satisfied with Amorim. I guess some fans appreciate competing for titles and having teams that are fun to watch. Weird. Haven't seen anyone act like he's a god personally, or anyone act like he doesn't have a lot of flaws even, but maybe we're looking in different places. I can't seem to find these moral victories you speak of either.

AlexJones19 and SCP_16 repped this.
  15. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Fair enough. A lot of my reactions were in reference to the failure of a season last year. He also showed no growth or ability to make adjustments with his players, lineups, and tactics. I still think that stubbornness still exists (i.e. his persistence with Esgaio, Adan, etc. and his infatuation with thin squad depth) and a lot of that stubbornness cost us points last season and the season before. I also felt like his system was sort of figured out for a bit.

That being said, I get it, and I agree, he's the best manager we've had since Boloni, and it's been nearly 30 years.

SCP21 and natenate101 repped this.
  16. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Famalicao vs Sporting delayed to 2 PM EST / 7PM Local time due to lack of police

Starting XI: Adán; Eduardo Quaresma, Sebástian Coates, Gonçalo Inácio; Geny Catamo, Hjulmand, Pote, Nuno Santos; Trincão, Gyökeres, Paulinho

17. nelly29

nelly29 Member

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Jun 20, 2017
    What a gong show …. Wonder if game will happen?

18. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Game postponed. Unreal, only in Portugal.

Now we will likely have to replay this game later in an already congested fixture list

We will also have more pressure as our rivals will likely go ahead of us in the standings, even if we have a game in hand, psychologically it will put more pressure on us.

nelly29 and vilafria repped this.
  19. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Exactly. This was done on purpose to completely destabilize this team. Especially after the routing on Monday.

20. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    13 Police officers called in sick apparently.

But the Porto game had enough officers, even though both games are in the north.

At least they tied 0-0...

21. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Forgot we had a big game vs Braga today.

And we're already up 2-0 after 18 minutes. Trincão and Quaresma with the goals.

22. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'd rather win this one than the league cup one tbh. This used to be our banana peel sort of game

23. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Goloooooo Gyokeres!!! 3-0 this one's over

24. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club: