Life At Slavia Prague's Academy: Alex Wesolowsky

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by PhillyFury, Nov 26, 2017.

1. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You grown a lot, Alex," the coach said as the boys had their first practice together in nearly two months on November 23. Under grey, cold skies in Prague, the team took the field in groups of 6, as allowed by the country's anti-COVID-19 restrictions. The boys showed up ready to go as the locker rooms are no-go now. Whether there will be any games is unclear. It's nearly three years since I started this blog on Big Soccer. I'll be posting onward, but a lot less, as I think it's pretty much run its course....

ChicagoVT, Gacm32, Thundering165 and 7 others repped this.
  2. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the updates, it's been really interesting to follow. As Americans, you're certainly on a road less traveled and I'd be delighted if I suddenly saw your son's name on a senior team teamsheet in a few years' time. Best of luck to you guys in these crazy times. Whatever the outcome, it seems like it's been a great experience for you and your son and family. :thumbsup:

3. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the government opening things up recently, Slavia's U15s snuck in 3 games before the Xmas break, against Zbrojovka Brno out east, Teplice from northern Bohemia at home, and archrival Sparta Prague at home today (12/12) First game last Saturday, ended 3-2 for Slavia with Alex pitching in an assist. Up next against Teplice on Wednesday after school, they outclassed Teplice, a team with an academy, 7-0, with Alex grabbing a hattrick. Then came today's game against Sparta, the game matching the two top academies in the Czech Republic, with Sparta listed as one of the more successful ones in Europe, using the metric of getting academy players into the senior squad. Unlike Slavia, Sparta has moved about five or six guys up an age group, although for this game all the best players were on hand. (Shame Slavia doesn't do that) As usual, this game was hard fought, as both teams are pretty evenly matched. Plus, Slavia was testing a player from Zbrojovka, a defender, who looks good. As everyone told us, at about 15, after Sparta and Slavia loot the Bohemian teams of top talent, they turn their eyes to Moravia, and this will be the first kid on this team from that far east. Game started well, with Slavia pressing. In 20th minute, Alex made a run and got a good ball, as the keeper game out, he lobbed him, 1-0, Slavia. Sparta then turned it up, scoring a header off a corner and then getting a penalty called in their favor. That was converted and game ended 2-1 at halt. in second, Alex was fauled and took free keep from about 20 yards out. Hit it well, hard and to the corner, but it just sailed a bit high. Lots of subs in second, Alex and other starters were subbed out around 60th minute. Game ended 2-1. After match, coach, who's criticized Alex a bit for his defensive work, told him that was the best game he ever saw him play. These are the games that matter.

Gacm32, eliwood, UniversalAdvice and 6 others repped this.
  4. Great to read he has the confidence to make a lob and execute it.:thumbsup:

Gacm32 and PhillyFury repped this.
  5. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks @feyenoordsoccerfan. At the risk of boasting too much, not only executing, but in a game where the competition is pretty darn good, the game is a bit faster, and time on the ball is at a minimum.

Gacm32, feyenoordsoccerfan and butters59 repped this.
  6. He's not reading your posts, does he?
    So what?;)

7. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Be a proud dad. Nothing wrong with that. You're aware of where he needs to improve and honest about it too. Both are a good combo to have on this board and a prospective not many have here. Keep on keeping on.

Gacm32, eliwood, SCSAutism and 5 others repped this.
  8. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Just don't want to get too carried away. He has his plusses and minuses like any player. I believe in giving positive feedback, but also give him tips on how it could be better. As he gets a bit older, that's coming down a bit, as his trainer is really taking on that role. And at this age, they really treat the boys like men, as it were, which I'm fine with. Plus, I probably don't know half of what I think I do! As for boasting, I got a bit carried away, just because this is the toughest game they have in the Czech Republic. Probably at least six YNT players on the field that day...

ChicagoVT, Gacm32, gogorath and 4 others repped this.
  9. Resistance is a good benchmark and from your report he fared well. So progress is continuing:thumbsup:

Gacm32, Winoman and PhillyFury repped this.
  10. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    We all know that at the end of the day this is still a results oriented business. Not just goals or assists but the stats and quality of play that matters to coaches. Showing out in the big derby matters at any level. As you've reminded us cutting kids happens from now on so he's got to show why he shouldn't be cut and instead be the first name on the team sheet.

Being honest is important and imo the best thing you can tell him is you get out what you put in. Best of luck to him and you. We all look forward to more updates.

Gacm32, SCSAutism, PhillyFury and 2 others repped this.
  11. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, @TxEx. You're right, at the end of the day, this is a business with lots of potential material, to put it coldly, at the disposal of the clubs. As a parent, any parent of any kid in any of these clubs, it's hard not to feel that pressure of making the grade. Literally no one has a free pass. You need to prove yourself everyday, or, if not, there's someone out there ready to step in. Alex used that game against Sparta to make a statement, that against the best competition in this country, he could not only hold his own, but stand out. At this age, a lot of boys will probably pack it in as next year many will have to make a decision whether to play at this level or give more attention to academics. Others may just burn out. A top player on Sparta, who had played at Slavia, told some of his former teammates after the game that he wasn't enjoying it anymore and would probably quit soon: and this kid is good...

Winoman and butters59 repped this.
  12. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @feyenoordsoccerfan That it has. Hopefully it continues! In a way, this break has been a godsend, with him getting to grow, rest his joints and muscles, and work a little more on his own on ball skills, endurance and strength. He's now actually doing jump rope on the terrace on his own and exercises, stretching and some light weight lifting as well. So, that is moving in the right direction....

13. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #388 PhillyFury, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    If anyone is interested...first half of Dec. game against Sparta. Alex's lob goal is at about the 18th minute. Pictures better than words....

ChicagoVT, Gacm32, SCSAutism and 6 others repped this.
  14. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very nice touch! That's good to see in one so young. :thumbsup:

15. Well, he's getting used to play in a Feyenoord lookalike shirt;)

Gacm32, Winoman and PhillyFury repped this.
  16. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nice! Congrats. I hope he makes it!

PhillyFury repped this.
  17. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Very nice.

If you ever come play in Berlin, let me know please.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I know this thread is supposed to be about your son, but I gotta say, that video just really made me ... miss playing soccer, especially on a fast field on a cool fall day, with my friends, having fun, competing against good players. What a great game it is.

19. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone is still interested here's the second half. Highlight, I guess comes around 18-minute mark when Alex gets taken down outside the box and hits the free kick a bit wide, although it glanced off the post....

ChicagoVT, Gacm32, gogorath and 2 others repped this.
  20. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Def appreciate the minutes markers!

ChicagoVT, Winoman and PhillyFury repped this.
  21. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #396 PhillyFury, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    You got it. He had a few other good moments in there, including a shot, but this was a pretty good one. Took ball down pretty well, moved to the middle before being fouled, and I thought the shot had a lot of velocity and accuracy....just a meter to the right and it's in the net...Of course close only counts in horseshoes and grenades...

taylor and Winoman repped this.
  22. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wait, I am confused. The Czech Republic allows youth games?? You are not on lockdown light/hard lockdown/super-duper lockdown?????
    Our kids in Berlin have played basically three months of games since March 2020?????

Also for any twitter people the youth academy handle is @slaviamladez.

Winoman and PhillyFury repped this.
  23. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #398 taylor, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    The full games we can watch during lockdown :)
    Edit: for your viewing pleasure Alex is red/white and has the number 21 or 2x? Very hard to see cause of jersey color.

One more edit looks to be left center and not the right wing guy who looks similar on 360p.

Attached Files:

24. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winoman repped this.
  25. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's number 21

ChicagoVT, Winoman and taylor repped this.