Life After Lehmann

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by rossgreen, Aug 29, 2006.

1. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin
    After Lehmann calls it quits, who do you believe will take his place? Will Mannone be ready? Or will Arsene go and buy a top prospect?

And if you believe the latter, who will that prospect be?

2. i404

i404 Member

Apr 19, 2006
    .ca - .de - .hr
    Prospect? Unless it's a 'prospect' like Cech, I'd rather see Buffon :D

3. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    "Will Mannone be ready?"

Mannone is a kid. Children do not play goalkeeper in the EPL.

4. Dooglas

Dooglas Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    im thinking he will rely on almunia and see if hes up to snuff and then go get someone if hes not.

5. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006

Thats enough to keep you awake at night.:eek:

6. Realwood

Realwood Member

Feb 11, 2004
    FC Dallas, Tucson
    Pele from France.

7. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    If juventus don't get promoted, i really do hope we will be signing him.

8. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If Buffon is too expensive (he said he would love to play for Arsenal),
    then I bet we stick with Aluminium.

9. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    I knew we should have never let go of Wrighty:D

10. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    I don't know...he was fine when he came in for Jens in that champ's league final, no? and vs. zagreb in leg 1?

11. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I like Almunia, I really do, but he's not Premiership calibre at this point. Even when Jens got here and I was having second thoughts about his composure and his clearances, he was at least a Premiership calibre keeper. Almunia's got a long way to go. Now he'll get his chances with Carling Cup and perhaps the week after a German friendly, but I think we need someone else.

12. brianodom

brianodom Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Georgia
    Originally Posted by Arsenal-Mania.com
    According to various news sources (some of which have been known for the sensationalist news story), Italy and Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon is set to join Arsenal today.

Steve Sammers from the Evening Standard, and who also has close ties with the club, reported yesterday that Buffon would be coming to Arsenal today.

Chris Davies from the Telegraph also indicated that Buffon would be joining the Gunners.

It remains to be seen if Arsène Wenger can pull off the transfer coup of the summer, what with Buffon's high wages and Juventus' unwillingness to let go of their number one goalkeeper.

This will also undoubtedly unsettle German goalkeeper Jens Lehmann, who has committed his future to Arsenal and has no intention of leaving.

One can only imagine that Buffon will instead be joining next season, instead of this season.

If Buffon does sign, Manuel Almunia, who has voiced his concerns over his lack of playing time, might decide to leave Arsenal and return to his native Spain.

13. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    I love Lehmann, i would sign a pre contract with Juventus for Buffon next year.

14. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Jens had indicated that he wanted to play 2 more years (through Euro 2008) with one of those being back in Germany. That would make this his last year at Arsenal, right? Not inclined to search for a link right now, but I thought that he'd said something to that effect a few weeks ago. Either way, it would only make sense to bring in a new number 1 when Jens is ready to go. His committment to the club, regardless of what you think of his play, has been exemplary. On the other hand, if we really had a shot at a player like Buffon, you'd have to go for it. Right?

15. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    Right.
    Correct.
    Not necessarily...
    True. Although...
    Too right!

16. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I hope that AW has an alterative plan to Almunia. As someone said before, he's just not Prem quality. That's not saying that he can't improve and get there eventually, but penciling him in as the future for Arsenal between the posts scares the shit outta me.

17. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006

I hope your being sarcastic, he was shite in the champions league final and a game against mighty Zagreb doesnt say much about him as a player.

18. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vote we take a good hard look at the Championship, pick two keepers and sign both. Loan them back to their clubs until January and then bring the best one up as the heir apparent.

I would like to have done the same thing but sign them in time to use the friendly schedule for a better evaulation.

19. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    That sounds about right...

20. Delirious

Delirious New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Actually, rumours in Germany linked Arsenal with Timo Hildebrandt, who wants to leave VfB Stuttgart. I think he would be pretty good for us.

21. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    How long ago were the rumours...

22. Shibby13

Shibby13 New Member

May 2, 2006
    NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you consider that peformance decent goalkeeping you are terribly mistaken. Both of those goals Barca scored could have been saved. He played ok but made those crucial mistakes when it mattered.

23. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    Eto's goal should have been saved.

Rule number 1 for a goal keeper:

1.Never get beaten on your near post:mad:

24. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    it looked like fatigue got to the defence, allowing/creating chances that Barca were very unlikely to miss. I blame weariness, due to the extended time with 10 men, not the last man on the line. But to be honest, it's been a while; I may have to see the goals again.

25. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    ....but I, in no way, think that Almunia is at Lehmann's level....just to be clear. No way.